Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a newspaper size advertisement yesterday about Back to Basics dog food, which they claim to be "The next evolution of grain-free dog food". Have any of you heard of this food, know if it's a good food, or even use this food. I feed TOTW and my dog loves that, but if this is better maybe I would switch.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flyer came with a $8 coupon for any size, which makes me wonder how expensive it is. Maybe I'll try a bag.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
The flyer came with a $8 coupon for any size, which makes me wonder how expensive it is. Maybe I'll try a bag.
Wow! That's alot off. You could always use it as a rotation choice. Its good to rotate protein sources to offer variety ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just might use it as a rotation. I've been feeding TOTW salmon for the past 4 months to help fight off the dry skin of winter, but have been thinking of rotating another flavor in. Like I said maybe I will try one bag at least and if I don't like it switch back to TOTW. Thanks.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I just might use it as a rotation. I've been feeding TOTW salmon for the past 4 months to help fight off the dry skin of winter, but have been thinking of rotating another flavor in. Like I said maybe I will try one bag at least and if I don't like it switch back to TOTW. Thanks.
No prob :) but you would be better off supplementing with fish oil for the extra omega 3 fatty acids that is highly needed in a dogs diet for healthy skin and coat. During the processing or extrusion processing of kibble alot of vital nutrients are lost so even though you are feeding a good quality food supplements are just as important.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've thought of using fish oil, but her skin really doesn't get all that dry. Once and a while she will have a dry patch on the inside of her back legs or her belly where she has very little fur, but thats about it. Would you know how much and how often to give Fish oil to a 48lb dog?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Fish oil is calculated for dog weight at 20 mg/lb EPA. Multiply your dog's weight by 20 to get the daily dose. Example, a 50 lb. dog gets 1,000 mg of EPA per day so I would give her that much seeing as how she is close to 50 lbs. Or if you buy it at a pet store it will tell you how many pumps to add to the food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts