Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm going to be upfront. I'm hoping to be able to "use" you experts to help me with something. First thing I'd like to say is I'm pretty much a pitbull dummy and I'm literally terrified of them. Please please do not take any offense at anything I say, I need your help and that's why I'm here.

I'm not looking for being talked into getting one or hearing the myths or anything else but identification purposes. I have tried to dump my fear for years, it doesn't work. I know the routine comments such as "it's all in how you raise them" etc ... I honestly get it and I do not like myself for being afraid of them, but that's the bottom line. There are three dog breeds I can think of that I'm afraid of, the pittie, the rottie and the doberman. Hopefully, there's some expert here that understands this enough to not be offended and just help me if there is a solution.

We are looking to adopt a dog and so many of them appear to be pits or pit mixes. I've done a tiny bit of research and I personally can't really tell the difference between a pittie and a staffie and you can prolly throw boxer in the mix. It seems to always be the head shape that says to me "PIT BULL" and that can't possibly be the entire way to ID a dog breed. The ears is the next thing. If it's got the triangular shaped ears that hang down close to the eyes I hear "PIT BULL." The dogs with the wrinkles on top of their heads like the dog is frowning "PIT BULL!" These references are all for seeing nothing but a headshot in the photo. There's got to be a better way to do this.

Being that I'm so afraid of them I'm hoping there is a way to tell definitely if a dog is a pit and/or if it's got enough pit in it to be visibly sure it is or is not. I realize sometimes a mix is such that even an expert prolly can't tell, I'm talking obvious things because I feel that's the best I can expect. None of you have crystal balls I'm sure. The rescues and shelters are not the best in stating a dog's breed so I can't go by that. I've seen them call a pit bull a Yorkie.

Also, is there a way to tell if a puppy is going to grow up to be what I call the "hulky" version of a pit (short, stocky, bulky wide stance build with their elbows kinda rounded outwards and feet facing a bit inwards and extremely scary looking to me) and the ones that are thin and obviously doesn't look like a pit bull at first glance.

Thank you to anyone who is willing and able to help me. I appreciate you all for taking the time to read this and hopefully give me some good information.

Happy and safe New Year to you all.

Deb

·
Registered
74 Posts
It sounds like you're afraid of big dogs in general. "Pit type" dogs aren't APBT. Lots of purebred dogs fall into the pit type category and aren't even a bully breed.
The short bow legged bully breeds arent pit bulls, they're American bullys mostly. The American staffy is a bit heavier than the APBT and weigh a bit more. The English staffy is smaller and very round but not bow legged or sway backed.

Maybe don't get a working breed or mix of working breeds. You have to be a strong and dependable leader for strong breeds. Go through breed rescues or get a small dog if you wanted something particular.

I guess I just don't understand what kind of answers you're looking for?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. No, not afraid of big dogs in general. I have two 100lb sheps and both came to us when they were young adults. I just want to know when I look at a dog on a rescue or shelter website is there a definite way to tell which ones would be American Bully breeds since that's apparently what I should be looking for instead of just pitbulls. In most cases the rescues and shelters don't know for sure what breed they are putting up for adoption. Some of the breeds I've seen listed are no where near what they really are, as I mentioned a pit bull called a Yorkie? Really? Surely they can do better than that. You're description has already started to clear things up for me, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Hello ShepMom and welcome to GoPitBull! First, most bully breeds, especially APBT's and Staffy's are high energy dogs that require a lot of exercise, physically and mentally. This will require you to be as active as they are. They are a stubborn breed and require you to be more stubborn than they are. As far as their appearance and how to spot which bully it is when looking to adopt, there are many pictures on the internet. Click HERE and there are pictures that will help.
Personally, I love all Bully breeds and think that the love and loyalty they give back make them my favorite. That being said I also realize that these dogs are not for everybody. Please keep us updated on how things are going and feel free to ask any questions you have. If you aren't sure of a bully type post a picture and we will do our best to help. Best of luck.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
We don't believe in "it's all in how you raise them" here. We believe in genetics and responsible breeding. If you are looking for a specific breed, your best bet is to find a show for that breed in your area and ask some breeders there questions until you find exactly what you're looking for. There's nothing wrong with rescuing, but it does end up being a gamble. If you aren't prepared to handle a bull breed, you maybe should look into different bulldog types. Like English or Shorty Bull or French Bulldog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you aren't sure of a bully type post a picture and we will do our best to help. Best of luck./Joe
This little girl has a piece of my heart. We want to adopt her but we believe she's a pitbull/bully breed and we cannot have any kind of bully breed. Is it even worth doing a DNA test on her? We're pretty much convinced she's a pittie. Thank you for any and all opinions! Deb

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Working animal

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Grey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't believe in "it's all in how you raise them" here. We believe in genetics and responsible breeding. There's nothing wrong with rescuing, but it does end up being a gamble. If you aren't prepared to handle a bull breed, you maybe should look into different bulldog types. Like English or Shorty Bull or French Bulldog.
We also do not believe in the "it's all in how you raise them" thing. Does it help to be responsible and raise a well behaved dog? Yes, but you can't go just by that.

I guess I should have been more clear, I am checking on this because we cannot have nor do we want a a pit bull or bully type breed. It's the wrong breed for us. I am terrified of them and much as I try I can't get past this, nor do I like myself for feeling this way. There are probably millions of bully breeds out there that are great dogs and always will be and just a few that are dangerous and trash it for the good ones. The bottom line is that right now and for a number of years past when you see an article in the paper about a dog who's mauled and/or killed someone it's the best pit in the world until it snapped for whatever reason. Nobody sees it coming, many times it's human stupidity or human who doesn't know how to behave around a dog, it's children (often unsupervised) who don't know any better but sometimes nobody knows what happened to flip to the monster it can become.

If someone could figure that out they'd be a millionaire and the breed(s) involved would have well deserved redemption and just be a dog again. Yes, I know all breeds can bite and some do, but the bully breeds seem to have a corner on putting fear in me. It would be wrong of me to put a dog in the situation of living with someone who's afraid of them, 100% wrong.

Thank you.
Deb

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Without knowing the lineage of the dog it is impossible to be exact, but she does appear to have bully mixed in. If you can't have a bully breed, I don't think this one will pass for something else. Hate to have you fall in love with that cutie and then find out that you have to get rid of her or move.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without knowing the lineage of the dog it is impossible to be exact, but she does appear to have bully mixed in. If you can't have a bully breed, I don't think this one will pass for something else. Hate to have you fall in love with that cutie and then find out that you have to get rid of her or move.

Joe
Too, late. Been in love w/her since I first saw her pic. I don't want to accept that she's bully breed so I'm grasping at straws to find a way to zap the bully out of her. I'm with you on all your points. Thank you for all your help. I'm going to probably have to jump into the real world, put on my big girl pants and just accept the fact I can't have her.

Deb

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
If it will cost you giving up your home it is the prudent decision Deb. I give you kudos for being willing to take on a dog with special needs, it shows your character. With that sweet face I'll bet she will find a home. Keep us posted, please.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been there and done that don't want to do it again. This adventure was a very rude and scary awakening to losing one's homeowner's insurance because of a dog bite and the victim didn't want anything done about it, no charges no loss of dog, no nothing. It was a significant bite that left behind lifetime nerve damage. Well, the insurance company covered the hospital bills etc and then told us we no longer had coverage through them.

Thank you for the kudos.

It's been kind of a dream of mine to have a special needs dog/hospice kind of house when I can. I have about 3 more years before I can completely retire and be home all the time which is what I feel I need to do for these dogs. It's not time for me to do this yet and this little girl I want so bad is a pup and yes, she will find a home. Hopefully, with someone who can keep up with her better than we can.

Thank you Joe and everyone else for your input. I think I'm ok now and your pitbull forum did it's job for me. I'm grateful for all the help and kind words. But, time for me to say bye to you folks. Enjoy your pitties and whatever other kinds of dogs you have and have a safe happy 2022.
Deb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts