Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my girl Alexa, she has the issue of being a nervous/excited wetter. It has gotten so bad that everytime ill reach to put a leash on her, or take her out, she will wet herself and the floor. I have tried treats and loving on her as much as possible but she still feels the need to submit to people in that way. Its hard to take her anywhere or do anything because even when i reach to get her out of the car, she will wet my backseat. Its obvious i cant do my usual technique of swatting and putting her outside...shes too timid. Worked like a charm with every other dog but she is just too submissive. Has anyone else had this problem? any advice for helping her overcome it? also it doesnt matter if she peed a huge puddle one minute before you reach for her, she will pee and pee and pee...it never stops lol.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
My boy was a submissive peer. He used to pee every time he thought he was in trouble and whenever he got really excited.

Things I did to help:

1. When you first get home or re-enter a room where the dog is, don't pay any attention to her. Don't even make eye contact. Just go about your business. That prevents her excitement from getting too amped up.

2. Stop hitting your dog when she pees. Peeing is the ultimate act of submission for a dog, they don't have any bigger way of showing that they are completely and totally submitting to you, so when you hit her, you're just telling her that her peeing isn't a good enough show of submission and she becomes more desperate and more likely to pee.

3. Do things to help restore her confidence. Don't reach over her head or even over her body. That is a sign of dominance. Do small, positive training sessions to help her get her confidence back. Work on whatever tricks she knows; as she keeps getting praised and treated for these tricks, it will show her that she can do things right in your eyes and doesn't need to be as submissive all the time. Also don't love on her TOO much. That can reinforce the behavior and make her feel more dependent on you for your love.

4. How old is she? My boy did this a lot when he was younger; he's a little over a year and seems to have grown out of it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My boy was a submissive peer. He used to pee every time he thought he was in trouble and whenever he got really excited.

Things I did to help:

1. When you first get home or re-enter a room where the dog is, don't pay any attention to her. Don't even make eye contact. Just go about your business. That prevents her excitement from getting too amped up.

2. Stop hitting your dog when she pees. Peeing is the ultimate act of submission for a dog, they don't have any bigger way of showing that they are completely and totally submitting to you, so when you hit her, you're just telling her that her peeing isn't a good enough show of submission and she becomes more desperate and more likely to pee.

3. Do things to help restore her confidence. Don't reach over her head or even over her body. That is a sign of dominance. Do small, positive training sessions to help her get her confidence back. Work on whatever tricks she knows; as she keeps getting praised and treated for these tricks, it will show her that she can do things right in your eyes and doesn't need to be as submissive all the time. Also don't love on her TOO much. That can reinforce the behavior and make her feel more dependent on you for your love.

4. How old is she? My boy did this a lot when he was younger; he's a little over a year and seems to have grown out of it.
She is 5-6 months old. I have stopped the swatting, as soon as i noticed the issue. I do the trick stuff already and i will start doing the ignoring her and not reaching over her head. Thank you so much for the advice. Now i have another issue on top of this one. shes hurt her leg somehow but thats in the health thread.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If you have corrected her for peeing when being submissive you have made it worse and it will take a while for her to get over it. You cannot correct something that is not able to be controlled. The best thing you can do is ignore it and when you go to put a leash on the dog do not make eye contact or say anything to the dog just slowly go over and loop a leash around the neck, go out side then clip the leash on. Eye contact and talking to the dog will make the dog pee so avoid that for now when you need to take her somewhere. It will take time but no anger with the dog for that or it will never stop. I have some submissive dogs who will squirt a little and they do not do it much anymore but were bad when they were younger. I now it's fustrating how old is she?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have corrected her for peeing when being submissive you have made it worse and it will take a while for her to get over it. You cannot correct something that is not able to be controlled. The best thing you can do is ignore it and when you go to put a leash on the dog do not make eye contact or say anything to the dog just slowly go over and loop a leash around the neck, go out side then clip the leash on. Eye contact and talking to the dog will make the dog pee so avoid that for now when you need to take her somewhere. It will take time but no anger with the dog for that or it will never stop. I have some submissive dogs who will squirt a little and they do not do it much anymore but were bad when they were younger. I now it's fustrating how old is she?
Oh no i never corrected her for peeing in that manner. only if she peed becuase she had to..and that was before i knew she was submissive in that manner. I know not to correct her for the submitting. I am a dog trainer lol just housebroke many dogs and never ran across one so submissive.

she is 5 to 6 months estimated.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Vendetta was a submissive peeer. I ignored the fact that she peed and went right long doing whatever it was we were doing. I also made it point to take her out more and introducer to things but on her own time. I didn't care that I was an hour at one stop I waited until she was calm in her surrounding before moving on to new things.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in Missouri in a tiny town lol. I am working on getting my own business up and running. As my parents say to everyone "have Jo (me) come over, she will have the animal sitting, shaking, laying, and everything within 5 min" lol they have always supported me so much. As a matter of fact Alexa knew sit, down, stay, shake, leave it, high five, and walking on a leash within a week. :p

I just enjoy working with dogs so much, no matter the breed. But i do have an extreme fondness for APBTs and Bullys. They have the best personalities to me by far. Also easier to train imo

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also, I have not competed at all. Would love to start Alexa on Agility. I will when I can afford the equipment. Right now we are working towards becoming a therapy dog. Keeping up the good rep for pits and pit mixes. :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I think I read your 19 right? my suggestion is to find someone to mentor under so they can help you with dog behavior and training. I started when I was 16-17 years old and I have had my business for the last several years. There is a ton to learn and with a good mentor they can help you along. Aggression is a main part of my business and it takes an experienced hand to work with that so you do not get hurt. I think I was about your age when I got my first bite, not fun but a learning experience. It was actually a rescue pitbull that we later had PTS. It was very HA and I with no warning nailed me on the leg. Normally you can see signs a dog is getting ready to blow but this one was truly unstable. Also to be taken seriously as a trainer have some accomplishments behind you first before you take on clients. Many clients will ask what have you done and if you have nothing to show for it they may not pick you to work with. If you cannot train your own dog, you cannot train other peoples dogs. I think I was about your age when I first started running a dog in agility, it is a blast and very addictive! if you have never trained agility make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing you can wreck a dogs body if you are not careful. I wrecked my first dog but back then we all did not know what we know now. I am training my 9th and 10th agility dogs I am addicted! lol So many times people throw around the term dog trainer but if you do it the right way and put the time and work into it you will be respected. It is something you learn with time and you will always be learning till the day you die. It is nothing you can go to an 8 week school and learn those are there to just take your money. It takes years to get a good feel for what you are doing and many dogs you need to work with. Most dogs will not be the same and the same things will not work for all dogs and that comes with experience.

Ok Sorry I will quit writing a book, I am excited to see new people like you want to get involved so make sure you go about it the right away so you can be a success! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.