Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
plumbing/water hook ups?

Lemme explain the situation. I'm the newly appointed manager of a 4 unit apartment complex (privately owned). I reside upstairs, along with the other tenant (currently in the process of evicting him for no lights & failure to pay rent). Our water heaters are in the hallway between the apartments, exposed (there should be a door there, but there isn't one).

Out of anger/spite, the other tenant has done something to my hot water, as i have none, and he made a snide remark about how he was going to a friend's house to shower b/c nobody in the building had any hot water.

Down in the basement, there are individual water/power hook ups for washers & dryers, for each unit. I've tried resetting my hot water heater, & flipping the breaker for the water heater in my breaker box here in my apartment. My question is, being there are hook ups for appliances in the basement, shouldn't there be a main hot water valve/breaker of some sort that controls the hot water to the building? I've called the utility company and they said to get with the lanlord. I've already spoken with him (he resides in NY), and he's unsure about whether there's a main valve in the basement or not. Can anybody offer any advice, other than to call a plumber or electrician? Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any valves will be down stream of the water heater. Follow the copper tubing/piping coming off the heater.

There should be a petcock valve on the heater itself to isolate the supply and discharge sides of the heater. My thinking is that if you turn on the hot water and get nothing, then he found a valve and closed it. If you get water and it won't get hot......again verify and trace valves.......then look at your pilot light, thermostat settings. Anything after that I would call a plumber. Unless it's a mechanical failure and a legit break down it will be an easy fix, he just messed with some thing and thinks he's slick.

I hope that made sense.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I also had to reset mine once after a light failure. If he pulled your plug or tried to mess with it, maybe the safety tripped and that's preventing it from working? It was a PITA, I had to look up the manual and flip a switch and wait, then slide something and then so something else, and then spin around. Not reallly, lol, but it was some steps. Maybe that's what you need? to do the reset?

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've tried resetting the water heater bc we were w/out water for a while. The water heater is electric not gas, so i've also tried flipping the breaker that controls the water heater. So, i'll try following the copper tubing into the basement and see what i can find. Thank you for the input.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update: i had the mechanic workin on my car take a look at my water heater. The fool that's being evicted took the fuses out of my water heater lol. So i'm on a mission to replace em now but gotta get a door put up first lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts