Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but anyway...

Annie's mother is an Am Staff and her father is a Presa.
Would she be classified as a Bandog?

Or is it a certain Mastiff?

I'm some what confused about this whole thing.

I guess the better question to ask would be...

What exactly IS a Bandog?:confused:?

For those who don't know..
I rescued her from an overpopulated shelter when she was 9 weeks old. She was scheduled to be PTS the day that I got her.
The mother and father were owner surrenders. Both are papered. The puppies were never registered because they were in a shelter. I could honestly careless about papers.... I love her regardless :D

Anyway, this question is just out of curiosity...

Please educate me:roll:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

My Ann Bug :D

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
I would say so. She's pretty :)

American Bandogges are not purebred dogs, in the way we know the word "purebred". Their ancestry is of American Pit Bull Terrier and Neapolitan Mastiff. There are some kennels who do produce Bandogs successfully in many generations, without adding blood from other breeds, and have gained a homogeneous type. In the late 1960's a veterinarian by the name of Swinford began a breeding program which was ultimately to produce the greatest of all protection dogs. Though breeders of Bandogges today disagree on just what breeds went into Swinford's original breeding scheme, the general compromise is that it was 50 % American Pit Bull Terrier and 50 % very large molosser. The most common method employed to produce a Bandogge is to cross a good game male American Pit Bull Terrier with a large and strong Neapolitan Mastiff female. Another somewhat common method used in breeding the Bandogges is to cross an English Mastiff with an American Pit Bull Terrier. The American Canine Hybrid Club recognizes the American Bulldog crossed with a Mastiff as an American Bandogge. The Designer Dogs Kennel Club recognizes the American Bulldog crossed with the Mastiff as the American Masti-Bull. Also a similar cross is the Pit Bull Terrier and the Bullmastiff cross, however this cross is not called Bandogges but rather a Pit Bullmastiff. The name Bandog was used in the old England by the Saxons and comes from the word Banda,-a Saxon word for chain. It was common practice to tie the dog by day, and release him at night to enable him to carry out his guard duties.*[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i would call it a presa x amstaff i believe the true bandogs are neo mastiff x with APBT. JMO. cute dog though very big.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Dogues, presas, tosa's, they're all bandogs, some are purebred in westernized thinking..

Performance(generally) APBT X any large molosser is a bandog, a recreation of the ORIGINAL MASTIFF which was a 90lbs chain dog, and the first resemble a Swinford dog and a tosa.. LOL kinda ironic that those first mastiffs, came from pit dogs the pit bulldog to be exact, where the first purebred terrier were inbred from as well.. Bandogs were wardogs as well.. the best!

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys :D

I appreciate the responses!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts