Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
just like many brands, they have cheaper stuff filled with grains and fillers -- not good

and they have higher quality (and priced) lines of food which are good quality

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
from what I understand Merrick is a good food but no personal experience.
The important thing whatever kibble you choose is a good quality meat source and no starches or grains as fillers in the top few ingredients. Grain free options are out there, but more $$..you get what you pay for. Personally, after lots of research, I chose Victor brand grain free kibble. But I feed primarily RAW.. If you've got the gut for it, think about a BARF diet :)

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Both are sufficient foods I particularly like the Grain free Puppy formula Merrick has. That is what I had been raising the most current pups on. Both are decent, with 4health however, go for the grain-free as well since it has less fillers. I will say comparing these (which are the best options within the two brands)

Merrick Grain-Free Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food, 25-lb bag
Merrick Grain-Free Real Duck + Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food, 25-lb bag
Merrick Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food, 25-lb bag

4health Grain Free Duck & Potato Dog Food, 30 lb. - Tractor Supply Co.

Merrick is the better choice by ingredients as it has less fillers and is more meat based than the 4health but, both have slightly above average ingredients so either should suffice. As far as looking at Merricks options they have their Whole Earth line much cheaper by like 10-15 dollars so its cheaper then the 4health on chewy.com. However you get what you pay for go in there and compare the meat content its slight but, slight enough it will make a huge difference in the dog. I have personally fed the Merrick. all of these I have listed including the 4health has been fed on my yard at one time or another, and IMO the Merrick Duck Recipe Grain Free is the best as far as price comparing what your getting for the price between these two brands.

Edit: Would like to add looking at the calories per cup 4health vs. Merrick. 4Health is only 376 kcal/cup and Merrick is 460 kcal/cup.

So say were talking about my dog Louie he is roughly about 45 lbs.(this is his mid weight between summer and winter since hes outside) and is an active dog so for 4health I would need to feed him roughly 3.18 cups(regular 8oz. measuring cup) per day. 4health comes in a 30lb bag for largest bag. Soo you convert 30 lbs into ounces which is 480 ounces. So 3.18 cup feedings is 25.44 ounces per day. So you can get roughly 18.86 days of full feedings off one bag of food. I say roughly because there will be about 15% of the last feeding missing so the bag would need to have a replacement ready thats if measurements and weight of food is correct.(Okay so I redid the math and could go either way mass vs. volume yada yada so im giving both problems for both foods 4health volume: 30lbs = 480oz. = 60c. per bag. Per Dog Food Advisor 376kcal/cup food Lou needs 3.2c. 60c./pb divided by 3.2c/pd = 18.75 days)

Okay now same thing with the Merrick but, with Merrick being higher kcal/cup Louie would eat roughly 2.6 cups per day. The Merrick bags only come in 25lb bags for their large bag so were looking at roughly 400 ounces of food in one bag. At 2.6 cups per day Louie would consume roughly 20.8 cups per day. On a full bag of Merrick you would get roughly 19.23 days of feedings off one bag.(25lbs. = 400oz. = 50c. per bag Per Dog Food Advisor 460kcal/cup diet Lou needs 2.61c. per day. 50c./pb divided by 2.61c./pd = 19.16 days)

So as you can see although Merrick has a smaller bag and costs about 7 to 10 dollars more you are actually getting what you paid for an extra day of feeding on 5lbs (80ounces) less of food. So if Merrick were a 30lb bag like 4health you would be getting 4.5 more days worth of feed on Merrick versus 4health. Now as far as price your paying roughly $1.80/lb for Merrick vs. $1.26/lb for 4Health. For yearly consumption would be 475lbs of food per year(39.6lbs per month) for merrick vs. 600lbs. of food per year(50lbs per month) on 4health. By looking at monthly percentages you would have to buy 20 bags(actual: 20.4 bags) a year roughly with 4health and roughly 19 (actual: 19.008 bags) a year with Merrick. As far as price its not the cheaper route to go Merrick once broke down but, the quality is much better.(M[19.16] - 4H[18.75] = .41 more days on Merrick. 30lb to 30lb comparison: M[23] - 4H[18.75] = 4.25 more days equal weight Yearly comparison: M[476.33lbs/y] - 4H[584lbs/y] = 107.67 lbs more a year with 4H. Merrick = 19 bags per year 4Health = 20 bags per year.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both are sufficient foods I particularly like the Grain free Puppy formula Merrick has. That is what I had been raising the most current pups on. Both are decent, with 4health however, go for the grain-free as well since it has less fillers. I will say comparing these (which are the best options within the two brands)

Merrick Grain-Free Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food, 25-lb bag
Merrick Grain-Free Real Duck + Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food, 25-lb bag
Merrick Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food, 25-lb bag

4health Grain Free Duck & Potato Dog Food, 30 lb. - Tractor Supply Co.

Merrick is the better choice by ingredients as it has less fillers and is more meat based than the 4health but, both have slightly above average ingredients so either should suffice. As far as looking at Merricks options they have their Whole Earth line much cheaper by like 10-15 dollars so its cheaper then the 4health on chewy.com. However you get what you pay for go in there and compare the meat content its slight but, slight enough it will make a huge difference in the dog. I have personally fed the Merrick. all of these I have listed including the 4health has been fed on my yard at one time or another, and IMO the Merrick Duck Recipe Grain Free is the best as far as price comparing what your getting for the price between these two brands.

Edit: Would like to add looking at the calories per cup 4health vs. Merrick. 4Health is only 376 kcal/cup and Merrick is 460 kcal/cup.

So say were talking about my dog Louie he is roughly about 45 lbs.(this is his mid weight between summer and winter since hes outside) and is an active dog so for 4health I would need to feed him roughly 3.18 cups(regular 8oz. measuring cup) per day. 4health comes in a 30lb bag for largest bag. Soo you convert 30 lbs into ounces which is 480 ounces. So 3.18cup feedings is 25.44 ounces per day. So you can get roughly 18.86 days of full feedings off one bag of food.(I say roughly because there will be about 15% of the last feeding missing so the bag would need to have a replacement ready thats if measurements and weight of food is correct.

Okay now same thing with the Merrick but, with Merrick being higher kcal/cup Louie would eat roughly 2.6 cups per day. The Merrick bags only come in 25lb bags for their large bag so were looking at roughly 400 ounces of food in one bag. At 2.6 cups per day Louie would consume roughly 20.8 cups per day. On a full bag of Merrick you would get roughly 19.23 days of feedings off one bag.

So as you can see although Merrick has a smaller bag and costs about 7 to 10 dollars more you are actually getting what you paid for an extra day of feeding on 5lbs (80ounces) less of food. So if Merrick were a 30lb bag like 4health you would be getting 4.5 more days worth of feed on Merrick versus 4health. Now as far as price your paying roughly $1.80/lb for Merrick vs. $1.26/lb for 4Health. For yearly consumption would be 475lbs of food per year(39.6lbs per month) for merrick vs. 600lbs. of food per year(50lbs per month) on 4health. As far as price its not the cheaper route to go Merrick once broke down but, the quality is much better.
Ok i was looking into merrick. I have a 3 month old pup and a 5 year old male. I want a good foor that is not going to kill me do you have any other recommendations

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts

·
Hitting the Trails Weekly
344 Posts
I've fed Charlie Earthborn and Castor & Pollux brand kibble before, it's not what I feed him currently but he did fine on both of those (grain-free formulas).

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Ok i was looking into merrick. I have a 3 month old pup and a 5 year old male. I want a good foor that is not going to kill me do you have any other recommendations
seriously,, not to advertise for them or anything but look into Victor. Its a Texas based company that uses USA product, 45-50 for a 40lb bag of Grain free. Great ingredients, compared to 100-125 for a bag of comparable food..

I personally like the Grain Free Yukon River Salmon and Sweet Potato

1 - 11 of 11 Posts