Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since I was not asking for help in training I could post this here might get more responses.

I signed Vendetta up for a beginning Rally class. We start the second monday in Jan and it runs for 7weeks. It is so cold here and I don't feel like walking around town freezing to death so I can practice her obedience. Plus not many people out and about. Other than the ice fisherman :hammer:.

Is anyone else taking any classes with their pooches this winter?

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
no my club is closed down till after the holidays, imma see what they have come January though, cheza needs some stimulation something serious!!!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had another club to take classes from as I don't care for these people too much yes I know I belonged to the club for 3yrs but man they get on my nerves.....

In the spring I will be driving 2 1/2 hrs one way to take aglity classes. Yep that is a long ways to go but I really like these people. They work with lots of pits in the shelter too.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
I'm actually going to start Whitman in a leash reactivity class in the next week or so. He just got neutered yesterday, so he's out of comission for a short while. But yeah, he needs to work on his leash manners and its a little difficult for me. I've read on different techniques and tried a few, but I think the class would help a lot. Its taught by the lady who founded Our Pack, which is a pitbull rescue group here in the bay area and she has tons of exerience with the breed and as a dog trainer.

He actually walks fairly well on leash, I just want him to not pay attention to other dogs he sees or hears and can't see. He's still a 9month old pup, so he just wants to go crazy and play with every dog he comes across and I can't have a pitbull on leash pulling hard towards another dog. Gives off the wrong vibe, you know?

But yeah, both him and I will be going to class haha.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I am going to take an attention and handling class most likely when tax return comes. I need to go over basic stuff with him before the baby comes. This class will be more advanced then obedience so there should be less reactive dogs that will make it easier. Plus the advanced beginners had a couple of dog owners that were a liability plus they were quite irritating because of the way they handled theIr dogs grrrr

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I've got Jubi in a puppy socialization class on Jan. 4 (hopefully) because it's hard to meet up with other dog owners outside of classes in my area. And it's the middle of winter, so I can't take her to a dog park. The class also includes introduction to leash walking, basic commands, etc, so.

I'm continuing to work on Kane at home -- teaching him to be gentle with Jubi and we're working on him learning "Stand" (moving from sit to standing) and "Roll over", which isn't going as well. He doesn't want to do it on hardwood floors understandably, so I try laying a blanket down and he gets distracted by the blanket because that's one of our games (me throwing a blanket over him and him trying to get out of it), lol. So then it ends up becoming a game for the both of us and, well. I give his goofiness too much allowance sometimes, lol.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All sound intereseting. I had Vendetta in the puppy class. I still meet up with a few poeple fromthe class at different dog events in my area and Vendetta gets so happy to seethose dogs she s stand offish with most dogs really she does great at ignoring them but thse few dogs frm her class really get her going.

David I would like to hear more about your class. I have never heard of that. Is it like teaching yur dg leave it and focus? Sounds interesting.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
This class is the foundation to any leash sport or for conformation. Without focus your dog won't get the most out of a competition class because it won't be all there. This class aims at creating a bond between dog and handler no matter the distractions. Most dogs in these classes are aiming to compete in obedience or rally trials. So you get a nice group of focused dogs for the most part and this helps your dog learn to operate under those distractions.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh I see. We have never given a class like this but I work Vendetta in all areas around my hometown so she is very focused with all kinds of distractions. Actually I will see how this class goes because there will be a beginning flyball (she loves tennis balls she liked flyball) class going in the same room at the same time. It should be good for her really get the mental work out that I am looking for.

You will have to let us know how Bernie does.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
The tennis ball scenario is gonna be intriguing :)

I will share with the board once I get it started !

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please do as will I. Yep I wonder how focused she will be at first. I want to do this with out treats. I want to use just praise. She works well for praise but the tennis balls might be a bit much for her to handle.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I can hardly wait to get back to training!! I have not really trained other than Schutzhund on Sundays since I was about 7 months pregnant. I am only teaching 2 Master agility classes starting in January so I signed up Varro and Crixus for basic Novice classes since they had puppy class so long ago. I am also taking Siren back to Utility super drill class, I really miss that class we have a blast. I am waiting for them to schedule an agility prep class so I can take the puppies. I always love taking my dogs to classes because it is good socialization and it forces me to spend time with the dogs. If not I get lazy and put off training. ;)

Sharon have you done Rally before? It's a blast and in the summer I plan on going back to Rally drills. I would love to take more classes but with Justin I can only justify 4 days a week right now. The great thing about being a head trainer for the club is I get classes for free! If you have a local club and are new to training you should see if they have a program where you can assist classes and get free ones in return. I think our assistants get free drill classes and 2 free regular classes a year. It is also great to assist other trainers and learn from all of them.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I have done Rally before I really don't find it too exciting but that is what is offered. No my club is a 501c3 so club members don't get anything cheaper. We pay and pay and pay it is horrible. That is why I will be traveling so far this spring for agility class. I can be a member of that club help out on a couple of projects and get my classes for 10$. Right now I pay 60$ for classes and 30$ for membership and I help out with everything we put on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts