Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go back to school or go do a program and I want to do something involving animals...I honestly don't think I have the brain mass to become a veterinarian:confused:, although I would LOVE to. Any suggestions or idea's? I really want to do something involving rescue work or like possibly animal control? But I have no idea on how to get involved...Help?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I work on an exotic animal ranch and I didn't have to have any special training when I started, just knowledge of animals. However now several years later, I am starting classes this year for a BA in Animal Science and biology. Then will do go for a Master of Arts in Science or a Doctor of Philosophy to become an animal behaviorist. All the time I have spent working with animals before hand will make a huge difference in jobs later.

However jobs like Animal Control often don't require much other than you getting a rabies shot.

If you want to really be involved in animals experience is key. Start small and work your way up the food chain. Many animal jobs can be found in your regular newspaper or look at feed supply stores where they have bulletin boards, some may need ranch hands for hire.

Vet assistant jobs, and vet office jobs can often be found on craigslist.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
I work with animals but not quite the line you are thinking!!! I shoe and train horses. I also work with several vets and farmers rounding and working cattle. LOVE IT! But again, I dont think thats what you are looking for...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to train horses or put shoes on it as long as I didn't get kicked! But i've never had one and I only get to play with them in Mexico :) But anything really I really love animals and somehow I always find myself rescuing them and just connecting with them. It's funny because just the other week my sister called me because a baby squirrel was following her around and she didn't know what to do and I just went there, picked it up gave it some cherrios and water and took it to a wild life shelter. And two weeks ago I rescued a cat that was following my friend home lol and they always think to call me first & I love that. I would enjoy it a lot more then working with people and it think it would be a lot more emotionally fulfilling then anything else. I uno.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
You can start by volunteering at your local shelter, and the more experience you gain, the better chance you'll stand of getting a job if/when they have an opening. Or you can try getting a job at a boarding kennel or vet clinic as a kennel aide (you'd be cleaning kennels and feeding/watering and walking dogs, etc.). You can also try working at a grooming salon as a bather, or a groomer's assistant. Those will definately get you started, and then you can decide from there where you want to go. If your vet clinic doesn't have a position availabe, you can always volunteer there too, as I'm sure they need all the "free" help they can get, lol. I started out volunteering at a vet clinic, then got hired there. I also worked at a kennel aide at a boarding kennel, worked my way up to Groomer's Assistant, then to office manager and personal assistant at the same place. When I moved from Texas, I found a job as a vet tech, while also working two part time jobs at a boarding kennel/doggy daycare and at a grooming salon next door to that. Then I progressed to become a groomer at PetSmart. Unfortunately, since I've moved to TN.. there are no jobs available in the animal fields right now, so I'm a manager at a laundromat, but I do intend to get back into the animal field when I find an opening. Good luck to you in your endeavors, and please keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts