Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some dogs in the weight pull get FULL extension on their back legs when pulling. What technique can one use to teach dog to do that??

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
The dog has to learn to pull the weight not run with it.

This is my boy dragging I have another shot with the legs fully extended but basically when you are teaching the technique you want to start low and you want to mark the form with reward.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
My dog walks with weight, I don't let him run. How do you start dog to get LOW??
The dog will get lower as the weight gets heavier, the only problem is you don't want your dog pulling heavy weights until it is old enough and you x-ray his hips and elbows to make sure there are no orthopedic issues.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
each dog has his/her own technique when pulling weight :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know dogs have different techniques, but I've seen different dogs from ONE trainer or trainers (handlers) all seem to pull the same, nose to the ground, back level, legs fully stretched!! So there must be some thing they do to train the dog to pull that way???

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I know dogs have different techniques, but I've seen different dogs from ONE trainer or trainers (handlers) all seem to pull the same, nose to the ground, back level, legs fully stretched!! So there must be some thing they do to train the dog to pull that way???
When the weight gets extremely heavy the dog will do that to move the weight. There is no trick to that, that's the only way to move the weight forward.

Here is a Blury shot, there is nothing special about that form they all look the same when the load gets heavy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've pulled before, but none of my dogs would completely stretch out those legs. They would a little, but their back would be arched, but not level like I've seen some dogs. I'm just trying to figure out if there is something those guys do during their training when working their dogs for pull competition??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And a lot of those dogs have the same LOW form even when starting out with the lighter weight during the pulls!

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
If you pulled before why do you care what the dog looks like? it's either winning or it's not. You can see my dog above has the legs completely streched and his head down. I can assure you there is nothing magical about it lol

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Like David said they all look the same when the weight gets heavy and they have to stretch out to pull it. It also has a little to do with having a properly sized and designed harness....you want a good harness to put even weight on the dog. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
david, I can care less what the dog looks like, I'm just saying that there must be something some guys do to get their dogs to pull so low and strecthed out. Even lower than your picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts