Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I found a web link recently that said to not bathe a dog for 3 days after giving them their flea medicines like K9 Advantix and Frontline to guarantee it is effective. Is this true? I usually give Tasha hers in the morning and then give her a bath that night to wash away the residue that the flea medicine leaves on the coat. Any input on this?

Thanks

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They say it is waterproof and all on the packaging I think.
I don't see why you can't bathe them soon after wards.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well if it does or doesnt work after you give your dog a bath then that should answer your question
How is that going to tell if it works or not? :confused:
For all I know there could be no fleas in the yard. :rofl:

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
you may not have a flea issue at home. The vet says not to wash for so long that way it has enough time to absorb into the skin. I know it's nasty stuff, but if you really have fleas it's better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I read once that as long as you let it absorb for 24 hours you are fine. I usually put it on before bed, and by the next morning it is not so slimey. I have washed Thrall within 24 hours of the treatment, and got no fleas, but like you said, there could just be no fleas in the area at that time. I would just leave it as long as you can, and hope for the best, and if you get an infestation, reapply and don't bathe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As long as you are using a soap-free shampoo you are fine. The Virbac company makes a shampoo called Allergroom which is guaranteed not to strip off the flea medications. The problem with using a 'soap-type' shampoo is that it strips the natural oils from the coat, thus preventing the spread of the product. I always recommend for the best effect, wait 24 hours either way. I typically bathe mine either the day or morning before applying the product.

Gotta run, Gemini just took off with the dog bed down the hallway ::slams head on desk::

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as you are using a soap-free shampoo you are fine. The Virbac company makes a shampoo called Allergroom which is guaranteed not to strip off the flea medications. The problem with using a 'soap-type' shampoo is that it strips the natural oils from the coat, thus preventing the spread of the product. I always recommend for the best effect, wait 24 hours either way. I typically bathe mine either the day or morning before applying the product.

Gotta run, Gemini just took off with the dog bed down the hallway ::slams head on desk::
Thanks. I use Effa Hylite which is soap free. Good stuff.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
the last stuff i bought nismo didnt work. and only one dose of the stuff i got odis worked.
that really pisses me off. why dont they say on the box "this flea product is the only one the store carries, but it still doesnt work."

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
i agree with you floor candy. I think 24 hours is reasonable. I mean think about it, when you take medicine, it doesn't work right away. give the stuff some time, even if its not 3 days, give it a reasonable amount of time for it to work.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the last stuff i bought nismo didnt work. and only one dose of the stuff i got odis worked.
that really pisses me off. why dont they say on the box "this flea product is the only one the store carries, but it still doesnt work."
What brand was it? K9 Advantix and Frontline work great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.