Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Different bloodlines is an area that I am very uneducated. I know my question can go on all day and there are probally endless probabilities. I would like a APBT that has the potential for great stamina,agility, rednose/fawn or even champange color. (although i like the tan the most) but I want it to have the potential to be very muscular but lean at the same time. A wonderful show dog. Something like sadie or bahamutts. What are the lines ( x ) and where can i find them. I would like pictures. I cannot be more specific cause i dont know what else to say lol.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
There are lots of really nice dogs out there are you looking to show ADBA, UKC, or both? Also why do you want such a high drive dog? Are you going to do sports? Some bloodlines can get really hard to handle what is your experience with the breed? That will help when finding a breeder.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
I never realized how tightly bred Ava is.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Dogs like Sadie's and many others out there would be too much dog for someone with little experience, it can even be a lot of dog for someone with plenty of experience depending on where that experience lays. Either in bulldogs/game dogs or show.

You really need to look at the ped and see what the dog was bred for. A tightly well bred game dog i believe would be too much for you for what your trying to accomplish especially. Im not a big follower on show breeders so someone else would need to point you in the proper direction.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You all did give me somthing to think about. I want to raise another puppy and learn the aspects of dog shows. What exactly do you guys mean by too much to handle? I have had no official schooling or classes only on the expierence on what i have and read. Not yet and I know most of you had. I however do plan spending time on this. I do not plan on like traveling everywhere and stuff. I have a High drive dog now, no papers and can not get any. I spend alot of time with my dogs and do various things with them, i feed them properly with a raw meat diet and they are pretty well trained and they can do anything. I enjoy teaching them things and wearing them out. come on guys! need a show dog! I havent looked at the ped that was posted yet, ill get back to you on that. I love the whole weightpull and jumping events though!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes That is a nice dog. Seems like it would be hard to get a hold of a puppy. Anything easy that wouldnt cost me a fortune? lol. A little background on myself, I am 22 years old I have a 7-3 shift and my wife stays at home. I am in great shape and I expect my dog to be as well. I am in the Marines and I expect and work with my dogs to be equally disiplined. It just would be nice to have a dog with teh attitude and build do participate in some occasional events. I like to put forward everything i got into somthing and lets be honest if your going to get a dog who wouldnt want it to be pure with papers? I hope you all are getting my point.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Maybe an amstaff? If this would be your introduction- it might be alot to handle. Working dogs are not always pets. They require more than just a toy breed. Grab some books and find a mentor possibly or just visit some kennels and see if they have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe an amstaff? If this would be your introduction- it might be alot to handle. Working dogs are not always pets. They require more than just a toy breed. Grab some books and find a mentor possibly or just visit some kennels and see if they have what you are looking for.
yea I would like to get a pet out of all this not a robot. I wouldnt mind reading some books and suggestions? I dont know of any kennels. And not really amstaff really want APBT. I dont need like a crazy one of a kind champion dog, just a good bloodline. I want a beautiful dog thats lean and muscular with good genes thats all.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
yea I would like to get a pet out of all this not a robot. I wouldnt mind reading some books and suggestions? I dont know of any kennels. And not really amstaff really want APBT. I dont need like a crazy one of a kind champion dog, just a good bloodline. I want a beautiful dog thats lean and muscular with good genes thats all.
Keep in mind a well bred APBT is going to have a lot of drive and game, extreme DA and if you haven't had any experience with this kind of drive you are going to have your hands full. APBT's are not show dogs, they are strong willed working dogs. While yes, they are excellent companions and pets they do need a lot of work, consistently throughout their lives. It's a lot more work than what the average person can handle and devote. It's not a dog you walk for 30 minutes to an hour a day with a little bit of play every day. Its not a breed you take to dog parks or other heavy traffic area that involves dogs. This is also not a breed for a novice. I can bet you anything it will be too much for you to handle with what you want.

Your best bet would be looking at a well bred, classic Bully or a well bred American Staffordshire Terrier. It doesn't sound like you need an APBT.

Im not trying to sound like a jerk by any means, im just giving you truthful advice and sometimes its not always what you want to hear.

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
I can agree KM-

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Oh and BTW im not saying you cant show an APBT, many do. But a well bred one from a good gene pool is not what the dog was originally meant to do. That was the entire reason for the AST. That was bred mostly for the show ring and i believe that breed or a similar breed would be more to your liking and suitable for what your aiming to accomplish. An APBT, on the other hand, i just don't see any reason for you owning one basing on what your wanting. Your describing a well bred, strong, a good bit of drive, show dog that is happy being properly taken care of as a family pet. While yes APBT's do share this but theres the other half of the picture that i don't believe your considering.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and BTW im not saying you cant show an APBT, many do. But a well bred one from a good gene pool is not what the dog was originally meant to do. That was the entire reason for the AST. That was bred mostly for the show ring and i believe that breed or a similar breed would be more to your liking and suitable for what your aiming to accomplish. An APBT, on the other hand, i just don't see any reason for you owning one basing on what your wanting. Your describing a well bred, strong, a good bit of drive, show dog that is happy being properly taken care of as a family pet. While yes APBT's do share this but theres the other half of the picture that i don't believe your considering.
I understand, no offence taken. I really do want a APBT though, not a bully or amstaff. There is just a certain look i want. I love the breed and for once in my life I want a pure dog with papers. I understand about the 1hr walk and a little play and i dont socialize with other dogs. I believe I go a little beyond than that. KM you have given me direction, Im always willing to learn if you have the time tell me more lol. You do have to see my point though. I am willing to take the extra step. I will do what i have to. I am not trying to get one tomorrow. Maybe in about 6 months and i want to have my mind set and I plan to use the time untill a get a dog to expand my understanding and learn new things. I am not someone who doesnt or wont dedicate myself to something.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is somthing I am interested in...

Attachments

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well you've come to the right place, when i have more time i can give you the basics. Read all you can and try to find a breeder near you that breeds APBT's in true form, you can learn a great deal from a proper dogmen. I don't have the time right now but any questions you have feel free to PM me or ask here and when i can i will be more than happy to help, theres a lot of knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well you've come to the right place, when i have more time i can give you the basics. Read all you can and try to find a breeder near you that breeds APBT's in true form, you can learn a great deal from a proper dogmen. I don't have the time right now but any questions you have feel free to PM me or ask here and when i can i will be more than happy to help, theres a lot of knowledge on this forum.
Ok np, Thx for all your help KM, see ya around!

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
My advise is find some close ADBA shows.near you. Get out there talk to some people and see the dogs you like. Don't be afraid to go and talk to people.who have dogs you like pm if you got questions you think I can help with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My advise is find some close ADBA shows.near you. Get out there talk to some people and see the dogs you like. Don't be afraid to go and talk to people.who have dogs you like pm if you got questions you think I can help with.
Thx Rudy, I was looking at Red Nose American Pit Bull Terrier Puppies for Sale
Some of their dogs are nice but could be more toned/muscular and cut. Lets say i was interested in getting, I ask to see health screenings and ped? How do I know these dogs are good and have potential to get the desired look I am going for? You cant tell in a puppy.. just by looking at their parents?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts