Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constantly researching healthier alternatives for my pets and have been reading up on alot of holistic care and ways to treat fleas, ticks, and heartworm naturally without the dreaded chemicals and pesticides. Now, I already know about over vaccinating and proper nutrition and how it increases immune systems greatly especially when a dog is fed a raw diet. I am just curious on how others feel about NATURAL care and if anyone buys into it or think its not worth the risk? I personally limit vaccines and will titer test. I also have never used any flea and tick preventitive in all the years my family has owned dogs.....and we have owned them for MANY years ;) Heck, I'm not even sure when those pesticide oils first came to be but I don't think they were around 20-25 years ago when my German shepards lived to be 15 yrs old. I live in the city and we have 4 seasons here so we really don't have to worry about fleas much and I only have to worry about ticks if I drive to a wooded area to hike with my dog which I avoid those trips during the tick season. My dogs have also never been "outdoor" dogs. They are house dogs and only go out to potty and for walks. I am just curious on what people think about the "other" option meaning natural and holistic care. I have come across web sites that are totally against what they call poisoning our dogs and others who limit the use but still use them. I Would appreciate input on this as I am on the fence about the natural heartworm preventatives. But I also highly doubt that I am the only owner on here who considers a more natural alternative to prevent critters from getting in and on my dog.

I am going to provide a few links I have come across so you can be the judge :)

Natural Heartworm Prevention
Articles Of Interest
Natural Heartworm Preventatives for Dogs

The only natural pet website is everything natural for your dog. I have tried some of there products before and had great results when I had a dog with GI issues.
Only Natural Pet HW Protect Dog & Cat Herbal

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I think some of that stuff works really well, and other times you have to turn to chemicals. That's my half-arsed response. LOL

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree with bahamutt haha. Its like I don't really have faith in them but I don't NOT trust them either...so I give Loki what I figure wouldn't hurt him. Stuff like Heartworm, Parvo, Rabies, whatev...anything life threatening I would definitely choose proven vaccines and chemical treatment over maybe safer holistic medicine.

I'd really like to learn more about it though if anyone has any good sites. I'm opening my own dog treat bakery and I'm already focused on healthy treats, but since those are so easily available now I really want to work on making treats that can help improve their quality of life...all that jazz. :)

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I've never used any chemical flea products and about the only thing I use is the heartworm prevention and thats only because I have to. If I can use Holistic over chemical I will, I believe in it totally and have seen it at times prolong the life of an animal as where the modern medicine given was killing it slowly and adding other problems. Now don't get me wrong I will use what is best on either side to treat what ever is wrong but if a natural healing medicine works just as well with out putting all those other toxins into my dogs body I will go use it.
Acupuncture, herbs, tinctures and other .....

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never used any chemical flea products and about the only thing I use is the heartworm prevention and thats only because I have to. If I can use Holistic over chemical I will, I believe in it totally and have seen it at times prolong the life of an animal as where the modern medicine given was killing it slowly and adding other problems. Now don't get me wrong I will use what is best on either side to treat what ever is wrong but if a natural healing medicine works just as well with out putting all those other toxins into my dogs body I will go use it.
Deuce, did you check out the link I provided for the holistic heartworm treatment? What do you think of it? I really wish other people would open there minds to holistic or natural alternatives when it comes to caring for there pets. There are articles on the flea and tick oils that I will provide to anyone interested in reading it.

EPA to investigate Pet Flea and Tick Treatments

·
Registered
296 Posts
What kind of herbs and tinctures do you use I'm wondering and what are they used for? The reasons that I'm wary of it is really just lack of knowledge but I would Lovee to learn more.

Also can you tell me what books, sites etc you've gotten your info from? I know a lot of it is good old experience and wisdom but I'm too impatient for that haha.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
The books I have were gifts from my vets in NYC, the woman I worked for was/is very much into alternative medicine so anything I know or need to know I can call her vets and 2 of those vets are Dueces vets or were since I don't live in NYC anymore, but I can still call if I need be to get a remedy.
There are newer books but these are the ones given to me :
Herbs for pets by Mary L. Wulff-Tilford & Gregory L Tilford
New Choices in Natural Healing for Dogs & cats by Amy D. Shojai
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats ...

There are plenty also Dr Allen Shoen has some books out he is well known in the Alternative Medicine World. Good friend of my former employer.

Its best to have a good regular vet that is open minded to alternative treatments, willing to have an open dialog with your alternative vet for the betterment of your animals health. I lucked out because my main vet believes in less is more so when drugs didn't work for Duece's allergies he was comfortable with me telling him no more I'm going alternative again lol ... I just like having both options for my boys health.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts