Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you allow your dogs on the couches, chairs, beds? Helena is allowed on everything. And every morning when my S/O leaves for work she takes the liberty upon herself to crawl up in bed with me. She sleeps in her crate but we don't close the door on it.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
we only have two of our dogs in the house... tyson and pheonix... they are aloud on the couch and bed.. the only time they arent is if we are eatin :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yes mine are on everything :( but now we want to buy new couches so trying to get them in the habit of not jumping on furniture {a problem we caused I know} the only ones regularly on the bed now is luna and crush who usually sleeps with us at the foot of the bed lol.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When Helena was a pup, she used to get crazy zoomies on the bed. lol She would dig, and I thought it was funny til I noticed she ripped a whole in the sheets. Then she started to tear up and eat our foam mattress topper... lol Glad we broke her of all that.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
I actually wish they'd sleep in bed with me...id rather have them in bed with me than having to lock them in their kennels all night

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bullet isn't allowed on anything, and he is really good about it luckily. Ever since I got him when he was a puppy, I didn't allow him on the couch or bed, so I think it's just kinda natural to him. Every once in a rare while I will let him sleep with me, like when my BF is out of town, because I just feel safer that way. If he hears any little noise, he wakes me up. We've tried letting him sleep with us, but he kicks and rolls around in his sleep, just like a little kid, and it keeps us up. So the only time he can be in the bed is when I'm the only other one in it, because there's enough room for him to roll around (it's a king size) lol :roll:

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
My parents don't like Dakota on the couch so that's a no. But if it were up to me, he'd be allowed on everything.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Not in my house! By allowing a dog on the furniture and bringing them up to your level it can become a dominance issue. I have seen and heard to many stories of people having those issues with all kinds of dogs. I have no problems if anyone else does it, it's just a rule in my house. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nope, Santino is only allowed on my bed if i call him up. He likes the rugs i have bought him around the house rug by my bed, rug by couch , rug under dining table and rug in the garage yep he chills with me when i'm working on my car, too bad he isn't a better assistant but he keeps me company and watches for unwanted snoopers around the house and we have a few i guess that's good enuff could have used him when i was dropped the trans to replace my clutch 2 weeks ago....:hammer:

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dominance issue does make sense. I have not had Helena show any signs of "dominating" her spot. She knows "OFF" means "OFF" And she will get up reluctantly... lol

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I have never seen or heard of it causing dominance issues @[email protected] but it makes sense I suppose...
I'm new to bullys but not new to the dog world. Have had dogs all my life and none were ever allowed on furniture. I was a groomer, vet tech, and worked around some OB trainers off and on for years. I know for a fact that it can cause dominance issues and it has nothing to do with certain breeds. I have a neighbor whose golden started acting out when being on couches and beds growling and baring teeth. Once she stopped letting her dog do what it wanted to the dominance issue stopped. Of course consitent and persisitent training helped alot.

I also know this lady I work with who loves animals and she thinks I am mean because I don't let my dog sleep in my bed or on the couch. This lady has three dogs small to medium sized who take over her bed and have bitten her daughter for coming on the bed. Her daughter is 20 years old but still a bite is a bite. When her dogs are off the bed and at floor level they are fine. I keep telling her what she needs to do but she won't listen. Her dogs run her house and have no discipline. If your dog is welcomed to come on your bed or other furniture that's cool.....but it should be on your terms not the dogs. Your the pack leader,,,,,remember :roll:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Maggie and Jake are allowed everywhere, but there's no playing or roughhousing on my bed. My bed is for relaxing and sleeping. OMG - you should see the riots they have on the guest bed, though!

My favorite place to see them sit is on a windowseat/bench I built over the radiator in the front room. It's pretty and no one else ever sits there. They take advantage of the view and look adorable in silhouette turning their heads this way and that in synchronization.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My dogs used to be on everything until sheets started getting ripped and new furniture was purchased. Oh and it was cute when it was just Ginnie sleeping at the foot of my bed but once Beene joined the party it became a different story. Beene is a cuddler and waking up at night to a 70 pound dog laying spread out across your chest isn't very pleasant. It was cute but I would seriously wake up because I couldn't breathe! Luckily I was able to break that habit without much effort to be honest.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My dogs used to be on everything until sheets started getting ripped and new furniture was purchased. Oh and it was cute when it was just Ginnie sleeping at the foot of my bed but once Beene joined the party it became a different story. Beene is a cuddler and waking up at night to a 70 pound dog laying spread out across your chest isn't very pleasant. It was cute but I would seriously wake up because I couldn't breathe! Luckily I was able to break that habit without much effort to be honest.
I had a cat years and years ago that was sleeping on my chest while I was asleep. I would wake up every morning all stiff and having trouble getting a deep breath. I finally woke up one night and figured out why I felt like crap every morning.

Oh, and we got new furniture a few months ago (including a cream colored loveseat) and I was considering keeping the dogs off the furniture but I knew I wouldn't be able to get my husband to be consistent with that so instead I bought a bunch of Kirkland pet throws. They're awesome! And if anyone "important" comes to visit (lol) I can just quickly toss them into the storage area under the chaise. So far so good.

·
Registered
859 Posts
nope. We have pretty expensive furniture so they're not allowed on it. The dogs are good about it they never get on. We would carry them as puppies on the couch and loveseats but once they're too big they're not allowed on. Occasionally once in a great while which has only been once lol I let Ashes sit on me on the loveseat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts