Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met an APBT once who was the biggest teddy bear. Sweet as can be and he was so tail happy he wagged it so hard that when it hit something, your arm, a wall, his side, it would bleed on the end. We call it happy tail here, not sure if there's another name for it or not. But I think Cain may get a "happy tail" with how hard he smacks his tail! And I wasn't sure if there were ways to prevent it or if anyone else has dealt with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Akiliya used to keep happy tail I used to wrap her tail for a couple days changing the gauze as needed to help cushion the blows and try and stop the bleeding. Hers would subside after 3 or 4 days but she would bust it back open in about a week. I also tried to make her kennel as open as possible and make sure there were no sharp edges for her to smack it on again. After about a year of multiple heals she hasn't had it since. This was about 2 years ago. It is super hard to get healed and to keep healed.

Here's a good idea for it Leerburg | How to Heal Your Dogs Tail

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Happy Tail sucks. I spent 4 years bandaging (got quite good at these really cool wraps using an empty syringe cover for protection) We finally had to give up when the bones at the tip of her tail started to turn necroptic (die off) We had to amputate. I miss her tail (even though it was LETHAL) That is a very extreme case though! I'm sure your pup will be fine!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy Tail sucks. I spent 4 years bandaging (got quite good at these really cool wraps using an empty syringe cover for protection) We finally had to give up when the bones at the tip of her tail started to turn necroptic (die off) We had to amputate. I miss her tail (even though it was LETHAL) That is a very extreme case though! I'm sure your pup will be fine!
Oh gosh! That is extreme. He just whacks it so hard!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
My friends pup ha happy tail. Cute lab named Maggie. They had no tables practically in the whole house and everything else had blankets. Not sure if its cushion or blood spatter protection. lol If she got started it would look like. Murder scene with all the blood on the walls lol awww poor pups. RIP Maggie!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friends pup ha happy tail. Cute lab named Maggie. They had no tables practically in the whole house and everything else had blankets. Not sure if its cushion or blood spatter protection. lol If she got started it would look like. Murder scene with all the blood on the walls lol awww poor pups. RIP Maggie!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Yes we have blankets on furniture haha! We have our dining room table but our house isn't too big so we don't have a lot of furniture stuff aside from necessities. The one I met oh my blood everywhere from that tail. My clothes(we weren't warned about this) walls chairs everything. I couldn't believe it. Cain doesn't have it....YET. But I think he will eventually and I just wanted to get prepared incase it does happen.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have not had to deal with this yet and I sure hope I do not have to either. I would not want to amputate my pups tail, that would be sad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The clinic I work at has had to do a few tail amputations due to happy tail (yes, that is the textbook term for it). The biggest problem with it is that tails just don't heal well or quickly, and a lot of people tend to give up on trying to heal it.

I'm afraid that Mooshie will end up having this happen, as his tail is long and evil, and he whacks it into everything.

My employer's niece shows Great Danes and when one of her show dogs had it happen, she invented a tail sock with a harness on it, that holds the tail under the back leg so it can't smack into stuff. Looked pretty strange, but it seemed to work good.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The clinic I work at has had to do a few tail amputations due to happy tail (yes, that is the textbook term for it). The biggest problem with it is that tails just don't heal well or quickly, and a lot of people tend to give up on trying to heal it.

I'm afraid that Mooshie will end up having this happen, as his tail is long and evil, and he whacks it into everything.

My employer's niece shows Great Danes and when one of her show dogs had it happen, she invented a tail sock with a harness on it, that holds the tail under the back leg so it can't smack into stuff. Looked pretty strange, but it seemed to work good.
I bet that did look funky! Cains is vicious. I have grab it if we're playing and he turns his butt to me. I'm hoping it doesn't happen but figure it's best to be prepared

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bet that did look funky! Cains is vicious. I have grab it if we're playing and he turns his butt to me. I'm hoping it doesn't happen but figure it's best to be prepared

Lol, Mooshie will hop up on the sofa and start wagging...I've gotten good at deflecting it before it smacks my head or the laptop screen. My husband has considered wearing a cup, because Mooshie is tall enough to smack him in the "gentleman's region" with that long whip (and has, a couple of times)

I've started a "happy tail fund" so I've got some $ saved up in case he needs an amputation. I won't have any problem getting it done either....he'll just have to be satisfied wiggling his butt!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts