Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a chow-chow charge at us off leash, not a friendly 'hey how ya doing' approach a full on snarling/barking lunge from inside his garage to across the middle of the street where we were standing. Lovely.

Well,
I reacted pulling Lily close to me so she could hide behind my legs near my feet for safety... While my husband was holding Lex & got excited as he always does with dogs wanting to play. The chow wanted nothing to do with Lex rather quickly ;) & decided to approach me.

Finally the chow realized we weren't a threat as he attempted sniffed my shoes - I wasn't so much scared as I was angry. I tower over the dog & told him to go repeatedly. Meanwhile the teen that lived there with his younger brother freaking out (maybe 8 or so), the kid's not sure what to do holding his hands in his head. & the teen sneaks around the side of his house to hide...Finally I yell at the kid for what seemed to be 10th time to get his dog after asking several times. We had our dogs controlled in harnesses & leashes, I can't understand what the kid was so scared of to get HIS dog. I realize this was a simple mistake of forgetting to close the garage door but GOOD LORD... 5 minutes can feel like an eternity

On a good note a couple houses up is a friendly dog Lex always stops for & lily made a new friend, she was scared at first after the chow incident but warmed up quickly

·
Registered
395 Posts
lol lex acts just like bella. a dog can be barking at her and her little brain seems to be saying 'oh he wants to play with me!' and she gets the wiggle butt and zoomies. glad you guys were all OK though. :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
WOW glad it turned out the way it did coulda been bad, good example of why kids should not be left incharge of dogs , people think they are fine and they can hadle a dog but when in a bad situation they dont always have the tools to sort out what they need to do and put it into action safely and fast. Id talk to the parents at some point and let them know what happened , even though nothing bad came of it who knows next time. Glad lily made a new friend and got past the excitement before hand :)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
chows are tough dogs thank God you and your family are ok.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol lex acts just like bella. a dog can be barking at her and her little brain seems to be saying 'oh he wants to play with me!' and she gets the wiggle butt and zoomies. glad you guys were all OK though. :)
LoL sounds just like her, he seems to easily diffuse a situation that way lmao. I wonder how that'd work in the ppl world. LoL

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Bernie had a chow in his puppy social that dog was nasty, eventually Bernie flipped it on its back and let Bernie alone but I def didn't like that temperament. That dog was 4 months old and was the most unfriendly dog I have ever met. Maybe not all chows are like that but I have read they are very intense dogs and not for everyone.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Glad you and your family are okay! :) Kane is just like both your dogs. :) Aggressive, snarling dog + Wiggle-butt zoomies stupid grin = match made in heaven!! :rofl:

LoL sounds just like her, he seems to easily diffuse a situation that way lmao. I wonder how that'd work in the ppl world. LoL
I read about a study somewhere where they had people go out into the real world, but no matter what happened, they had to be very nice and happy and friendly with people even if other people were being rude to them. Turns out that 9 times out of 10 if you just keep being nice to mean people (no matter how much it kills you, lol), the mean people become nice back! :)

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
WOW glad it turned out the way it did coulda been bad, good example of why kids should not be left incharge of dogs , people think they are fine and they can hadle a dog but when in a bad situation they dont always have the tools to sort out what they need to do and put it into action safely and fast. Id talk to the parents at some point and let them know what happened , even though nothing bad came of it who knows next time. Glad lily made a new friend and got past the excitement before hand :)
No kidding, & the teen was at least 6' - I bet he wandered off cause he knew he was suppose to keep the garage closed & would have gotten his rear chewed. I was worried about the kid too because he seemed scare of his own dog & didn't want him getting hurt but we had to keep our dogs safe & secure. I will talk to the parents if I see them, at least write a letter. For now we're taking a new route

One things for certain it made me want to get a break stick.

Thanks buddy :) - I heard chow's can be highly unpredictable. But if something did happen at least it would have been fallen on that dog & not ours.

Glad you and your family are okay! :) Kane is just like both your dogs. :) Aggressive, snarling dog + Wiggle-butt zoomies stupid grin = match made in heaven!! :rofl:

I read about a study somewhere where they had people go out into the real world, but no matter what happened, they had to be very nice and happy and friendly with people even if other people were being rude to them. Turns out that 9 times out of 10 if you just keep being nice to mean people (no matter how much it kills you, lol), the mean people become nice back! :)
Thank you very much! :D

LoL, see our dogs are on to something here.

Bernie had a chow in his puppy social that dog was nasty, eventually Bernie flipped it on its back and let Bernie alone but I def didn't like that temperament. That dog was 4 months old and was the most unfriendly dog I have ever met. Maybe not all chows are like that but I have read they are very intense dogs and not for everyone.
Ya never hear much about them. I think it's hit or miss. I never had a bad experience with a chow personally until that moment... LoL as a toddler we lived with my grandparents who had a chow for a bit. My mom was highly afraid of it, for no reason really. But the dog sensed it & cornered her all the time - never hurt her though.

One time apparently the dog blocked my mom from going upstairs to check on me where I was sleeping. I remember being best buds with that dog & loved it, lol. I also remember playing on the stairs while ppl weren't paying attention but the dog was always by my side watching out for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
dang, glad it turned out ok for yall. we've had those kind of encounters before w/ big dogs being at large. im glad bailey listens & i have control over her because she would love to get ahold of one!

i felt bad one time while camping w/ friends who had their american bulldog. i had bailey on her leash almost the entire time until they sorta warmed up to each other. they kept their distance for the most part but the AB went after bailey & she of course didnt back down. i immediately intervened & called her off. not so lucky fir her though bc the ab's owners couldnt regain control over their dog so baileys just layin there w/ this dog twice her size on top of her.. ugh it was madness

·
Registered
600 Posts
You sound like you handled that situation pretty well, poor kid probly wet himself!

You know ive heard alot af realy nasty stories about chows yet everyone ive met has been a realy friendly dog i must be lucky.

I cannot stand people who have no control over their animals.
Every single out of yard incident i have had with any dogs ive had were allways caused by an off leash dog and a dopey owner.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
+1 That's what I was thinking as soon as I read the first couple lines of the thread. Could have been much worse. Glad everything turned out alright.

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
When my wife worked at a vet clinic they had a crazed chow that came in to get put down because it had turned on the owner. Don't know if it had rabies or just flipped but it took five people to hold it down and THREE, yes THREE doses to euthanize!

I won't generalize that all Chows are bad, but my experiences have not been the best. I just don't trust them.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
man, I've got what appears to be a pit/chihuahua (it looks like a tiny pit, so funny) down the street that does the same thing, and the owners just peek out of the window and go on about their business while the dog follows me down the street.
It's really small tho, nothing so intimidating as a chow.

I agree with deuce here, I've known quite a few in my lifetime, and only one that I felt that I could trust.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I'm glad it ended well. I can't help thinking where were the irresponsible parents????

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Glad ya'll are ok, we have a problem with that in my neighborhood with people letting there dog out and them charging me aggressively. my friend told me one day when she was walking with me it goes to show how much more comfortable with dog I am because before the dog gets close I am normally stomping charging the dog back yellin in a deep voice "GET BACK" so far so good, I even had chased a German Sheppard home that these people have as a guard dog when it came after my papa who was holding my dogs leash I was already across the street but I sure enough went after that furry little mutt like I meant business and he ran away a couple of yard away then turned to bark so I charged him again growling and he ran home tail tucked, which was a good thing because the dog I had at the time was very DA and I so wouldn’t have wanted to get between that one! =O

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
3,272 Posts
You sound like you handled that situation pretty well, poor kid probly wet himself!

You know ive heard alot af realy nasty stories about chows yet everyone ive met has been a realy friendly dog i must be lucky.

Every single out of yard incident i have had with any dogs ive had were allways caused by an off leash dog and a dopey owner.
Yes you are very lucky they can be some nasty sob's given the chance, and I agree completely with the no control it's frustrating

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dang, glad it turned out ok for yall. we've had those kind of encounters before w/ big dogs being at large. im glad bailey listens & i have control over her because she would love to get ahold of one!

i felt bad one time while camping w/ friends who had their american bulldog. i had bailey on her leash almost the entire time until they sorta warmed up to each other. they kept their distance for the most part but the AB went after bailey & she of course didnt back down. i immediately intervened & called her off. not so lucky fir her though bc the ab's owners couldnt regain control over their dog so baileys just layin there w/ this dog twice her size on top of her.. ugh it was madness
Thanks, me too! OMG was bailey okay?? :(

Thank you, the kids reaction was priceless in retrospect. Though his much bigger brother should have ran to the scene. That really ticked me off. It's so important for the adults of the home to keep their eye on their kids & dogs at all times.

+1 That's what I was thinking as soon as I read the first couple lines of the thread. Could have been much worse. Glad everything turned out alright.

When my wife worked at a vet clinic they had a crazed chow that came in to get put down because it had turned on the owner. Don't know if it had rabies or just flipped but it took five people to hold it down and THREE, yes THREE doses to euthanize!

I won't generalize that all Chows are bad, but my experiences have not been the best. I just don't trust them.
That's insane! I've heard chows are typically hit or miss. It's amazing you don't see chows in the news more so :(

man, I've got what appears to be a pit/chihuahua (it looks like a tiny pit, so funny) down the street that does the same thing, and the owners just peek out of the window and go on about their business while the dog follows me down the street.
It's really small tho, nothing so intimidating as a chow.

I agree with deuce here, I've known quite a few in my lifetime, and only one that I felt that I could trust.
A pit chihuahua mix - that's a twist of a mix, lol... Aside from the one I knew as a kid never heard anything good. An old neighbor of mine had one that attacked a neighbor kid while we were walking home from school. The thing was always loose & never put down. Amazing to me you never hear much about chows. But pits are all over the news. If a chow attacked someone the news would still probably call it a pit with a photo of a chow :/

I'm glad it ended well. I can't help thinking where were the irresponsible parents????

Glad ya'll are ok, we have a problem with that in my neighborhood with people letting there dog out and them charging me aggressively. my friend told me one day when she was walking with me it goes to show how much more comfortable with dog I am because before the dog gets close I am normally stomping charging the dog back yellin in a deep voice "GET BACK" so far so good, I even had chased a German Sheppard home that these people have as a guard dog when it came after my papa who was holding my dogs leash I was already across the street but I sure enough went after that furry little mutt like I meant business and he ran away a couple of yard away then turned to bark so I charged him again growling and he ran home tail tucked, which was a good thing because the dog I had at the time was very DA and I so wouldn't have wanted to get between that one! =O
Thank you! Good post, just goes to show how important it is to sustain as a dominant figure in these type of situations :). Dogs read body language, just glad this chow didn't turn into being a psycho like they can typically be

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
Chows are biters too, dominating balls of uncontrolled fury in the wrong hands. everyone I know.including myself have been bitten and attacked by those type of dogs...Sadly I would have kicked the SOB in the head if it charged me or hit it with the end of my dogs stillwater collar to send it running back to its dang house.
glad no one got hurt!

·
3,272 Posts
untill this last year a chow was the only dog that had ever bitten me

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chows are biters too, dominating balls of uncontrolled fury in the wrong hands. everyone I know.including myself have been bitten and attacked by those type of dogs...Sadly I would have kicked the SOB in the head if it charged me or hit it with the end of my dogs stillwater collar to send it running back to its dang house.
glad no one got hurt!
Thank you!

Luckily it didn't get close enough to *phew*... I was too busy thinking about keeping Lily protected & trying to get the owner to get his dog before anything crazy happened to worry about it biting me.

I don't get why chows aren't more of a stereotype you see on the news than the pitbull. Those dogs do seem to have an 'agenda' per se'...

untill this last year a chow was the only dog that had ever bitten me
Hmm.. I hear nothing positive about these dogs... I heard but it's probably just an urban myth that chows are bred with bear??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts