Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on here the last couple of days in reference to my pregnant Pit and also my blue with food issues. Ok so here it goes....First one dog started the other day with diahrrea....then the next, now our pregnant one has had it for 2 days. They are crated at night and the carpet shampooer is on ALL night. So needless to say they have been messing in their crate and that is NOT normal. Now my male just did it...The only one that hasnt is my blue baby. They are acting normal, eating normal, drinking fine....nothing has changed. I ordered the metro (?) antibiotic today from Revival but it wont be here til Thurs. This is NOT ok and not pretty. We have Pepto Bismol we are going to give them now....WHAT else to do???? Do dogs get the flu virus?. They dont have a fever either...Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I would go to the vet, especially since you have a pup who is pregnant, they should be able to do tests and see if its something serious.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iam trying to see if its something I can do at home that could help. If not I will be taking them in. We thought it was some GET NAKED dog treats we gave them. Right after they started.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya it sounds like something they ate , id stop the treats , you can add some canned pumpkin to there food se if that makes it more solid. was this just today this started then? I wouldnt rush to the vet over this unless it gets bad and if they puke anything up , as long as you can keep them hydrated thats the biggest thing if your dealing with diarreah or puking you need to keep the fluids up. id hold off on any food changes right now until this is back to normal though , give it a day or 2 and see if it gets better , stop the treats , add pumpkin if it doesnt improve in a couple days at all or if other symptoms pop up then maybe consult a vet, even calling them they may have an idea I know Ihave a vet who I can call and ask whatthey think without bringing the dog in { of course over the phone its a guess and opinion on whatit could be , they cant diagnose over the phone}

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I didn't know since they all had issues if it was something else. But I usually go to the vet fast just to make sure. Especially since u were waiting for drugs they may have been able to get u what u needed until the order arrived. I hope it works out :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I didn't know since they all had issues if it was something else. But I usually go to the vet fast just to make sure. Especially since u were waiting for drugs they may have been able to get u what u needed until the order arrived. I hope it works out :)
IM usually quick to go to the vet as well but im lucky I have a great vet who doesnt always charge or when he does he discounts heavily I try and think of those that dont always have the extra funds and in cases like this where she knows she has given them a new treat lately and the diarreah started within that time frame , I would look at that as a source of this . Although Like i told her watch for other symptoms and if something comes up then I agree I would go off to the vet , dont want dehydration if they start to vomit or anything ontop of this issue or if they are lethargic. She said they are acting normal so far and hyper and running around so it could probably wait :)

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Totally makes sense :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well today is much of the same. I got the Organic Pumpkin today and mixed it in with a little bit of their food. Not a change in energy....still hyper and playful. Eating normal, drinking normal. Lets see how it goes tomorrow and tonight. Hoping to maybe not have to wake up a ton tonight...This is hard work. Thanks to all that have been kind enough to give advice.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I had to try yogurt and with a little apple cider vinegar when pumpkin failed me. It took me about 2 months to get my boy's stool solid after he was neutered, something about the antibiotics taking out what he needed to digest properly and adding that in helped. I also fed him rice and boiled chicken and that helped a little while. Be patient and as long as they are drinking and eating and playing, lots of changes at once are not good either.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Sorry if I missed it but did you change their food? If not anything happen recently like going to a lake or new treat? Metronidazole is great but I am not sure you can use it on your female. I will look and watch what you give her some things can really harm the puppies.... No need for the vet just yet IMO if they are eating fine, drinking, but just have the runs.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I remember going through really bad runs with one of my girls and you might have to place a call to your vet for an alternative med for the runs. You cannot use Metronidazole on pregnant dogs, and I didn't think you could..... You CANNOT give Pepto to a pregnant bitch but you can give Kaopectate. And I just checked and you cannot give Albon which is another antibiotic like the metro. If it was my bitch I would give some kaopectate and a bland diet like chicken and rice and see if that helps for a few days.

Drugs To Avoid In Pregnant Or Nursing Dogs | Beagle Pictures, Information & Forum | Beagles Unlimited

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We did rice and chkn and the next day they were good. No issues. They are back in normal food doing well. Thank you

·
Registered
614 Posts
My dog done that a few months ago but right when it happened I made an appt. for the vet which was the next day but we didnt go because I gave her pumpkin that night and she hasnt had any problems since then .

I know you said they are fine now, but if it comes back you may want to get them checked out .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did give them the organic pumpkin and am now going to keep it on hand. They hated it and didnt help them. I am just going to go back to the rice and chicken. I think it just had to run its course. Now they are all on Acana Pacifica....thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts