Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so emotional right now it's tough to focus. For the past year, life with Otis was mostly alright. He's a good boy and wants to learn, but some things he just doesn't seem to get.

I have been teaching myself to have more patience and tolerance with him when things go wrong. Accidents will happen and I feel that I have made some significant progress in this area. However, when the same thing goes wrong OVER & OVER & OVER & OVER again, I find it very difficult to maintain a calm and rational demeanor.

I'm talking about him crapping in the house. AND not just crapping in the house, crapping on my carpet of all places. It has gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if I'm home or not or whether the back door is open for him to go outside. He seems hellbent on crapping on my carpet.

I get so angry with him when he does this. I don't get physical with him, but I sure do yell at him A LOT. I hate it and I hate myself for getting this way.

I don't know what to do anymore and I need help. I can't go on this way. I try to tell myself that it's only crap and it can be cleaned up. But that isn't the point. It's the chronic habit of him doing it repeatedly that really gets me mad.

I'm seriously considering finding him a new place to live and it completely breaks my heart to say it. I just don't know what to do. Of course I want to keep him, but I cannot and will not continue this way. It has broken me and I have shed far too many tears over this.

Please someone help. Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has your vet cleared him of any medical issues? Have you had him since he was small and shown him praise when he pottys outside? Do you kennel him? Does he eat on a schedule?
I adopted my boy at 2yr old when his owners dumped him. No one taught him any house manners. A kennel literally solved his potty habits overnight. He didn't want to potty in his kennel and was taken from his kennel to the yard the moment we got home or up for the day. Lots of praise when it happens wherr you want.
Once you rule out medical issues, treat him like a little baby in regards to retraining the basics.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Put him on a very strict meal and bathroom schedule and restrict his movements in the house by closing him in whatever room you are in. He wakes, he pees, he eats, he goes outside until he poops. If he refuses to poop, then you work him, fetch, tug, walk, etc. until he does. Big praise, poopy party!!! Then inside. Praise every outdoor elimination, but make a party out of the poo.
I personally do not allow my dog to free roam the house. He's required to be in the part of the house that I am. So I can see when he needs to go. (he walks around in circles looking at me when he has to go.)
Learn the signs of poo. Some dogs stare at you, some walk in circles, some bark in your face. Some just stiffen their back legs. Once you have a schedule and learn the sign, "accidents" will be all but a distant memory.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I had taken the entire day yesterday to contemplate what to do next. It wasn't an easy decision at all, but I have decided to rehome him.

Over the past year, it has been a culmination of several different things that has led to this decision. Among other unwanted incidents and numerous items destroyed, I have suffered quite a bit of physical injury as well. I have had countless scars on my arms, chest, and legs, suffered nose bleeds and bruises from attempting to play with him. Most recently, I now have significant pain and damage in my left hand and struggle to pinch or push anything with my fingers.

I cannot play wrestle with him. He goes from 0 to 1000 in an instant and starts biting aggressively. I know I'm not feeling tense or uneasy when I try to do this and am mindful to be as gentle and as playful as possible. But he just doesn't get it and goes immediately for my hands.

Bottom line is; he is too high energy for me and I don't have the time or capacity to satisfy his needs. I live alone so I have to do everything around my house myself. So couple that with working from 8-7 every day, where's the time for him or myself?

Otis was dropped on me without warning right after I put Ogie down and was getting ready to put Lina down. The person who gave him to me was in a tough situation and really needed to find him a home. I wasn't fully ready for a new dog yet, but I felt I owed it to him and myself to give it a try. So I agreed.

From day 1 it was chaos. He wasn't neutered at the time so he was all over Lina who was just trying to live out her final weeks as peacefully and as pain free as possible. She was trying to fight him off while I constantly had to separate them. Then Ogie's ashes came in the mail that same night so it was a total mess.

Moving on, our relationship was improving, but I always had that feeling of uneasiness around him. I felt since he was a puppy, I needed to be always paying attention to him and trying to play. After a few months, it started to take its toll on me. My shoulders and neck were getting completely sore from playing with him (not always a bad thing as I could always use the exercise), but to the point of painful movement. That and getting all scarred up from his aggressive play demeanor was bad too.

So today, it's the same but different. I can tell he's just not happy here and that makes me not happy. He needs to be running and engaging in activities for hours a day every day. And while I do take him to doggy daycare 3 days a week which helps with his energy release, I feel he needs to serve a purpose somewhere. He might be a good K9 dog, or maybe with a pack hunting wild boar. I don't know...just spitballing here. But I believe we both will be better off with him going to the right home. I don't want to just pass him off to someone else who isn't prepared to handle him properly...that's no good for anyone. He needs to go to the right home with the right people. Wherever that is...not sure yet.

Anyways, that's the whole scoop. I know a lot of this is on me and I take full responsibility for what has happened so far. But I need a lower energy, chill type of dog who likes to do whatever, whenever. I definitely want to continue walking twice a day, but if we want to chill on the couch all day because it's raining (like today), he or she would be cool with that too. A dog that gets along with everyone and other animals and loves loafing on the couch. I'm sure the shelter has someone there for me and as soon as I can get Otis set up, I'll find him or her.

Thank you again all for the help! Sorry for the long rant, but I felt it necessary to describe a more complete picture of our relationship. I will always love him and will miss him dearly when he goes, but I know this is what is best and right for him.

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
I'm sorry it didn't work out Bradd but I know that it was not for lack of effort on your part. What I know is the care and dedication that you have put into all your dogs. It sounds like you are doing the right thing for you and Otis. I sincerely wish the best for you and hope things work out all around.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joe. It was not an easy decision at all as I do love him, but I know it's the best for both of us. I have reached out to a local pit rescue hoping they can help. If anyone knows of any other organizations who would be willing to assist, I'm willing to contact them.

Thank you again. Once Otis is in the right place, I will adopt another dog (maybe 2) who will fit my lifestyle much better. A house isn't a house without at least 1 dog.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
Best of luck in the future and please stay in touch and let us know how things are going.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all, just wanted to post an update. I have been working with a local rescue organization on finding Otis the right home for him. It looks like we have found that home. I spent some time this weekend speaking with a great couple from Washington who saw his pics online and fell in love with him. We talked about their situation and his overall behavior as I wanted to paint the most complete picture of him I could. They have much experience working with pits and have relatives who are in the field (a vet & dog trainer), so I feel comfortable with him living with them. They also have a high energy, female pit waiting for him, so I think he will do very well there.

If all goes well, he'll be on a transport this Saturday to head out. It will be very bittersweet as he came to me on 2/6/20. And of course I'll be a sobbing crying mess when he goes, but I know it's the best for everyone. Hell, I'm already starting to tear up already.

He's a good boy and I really wish it would have worked out, but he's just too much for me to handle. I need a mellow, chill dog who's perfectly happy loafing on the couch all day but also loves to go for rides and walks. I know I'll find one (or two) at the local shelter.

Thanks again all for the support and help! I hate that he's going so far away but I know the couple receiving him will keep me updated often.

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
I know that Otis and you will both be experiencing separation anxiety but hopefully a new start will be better for both of you in the long run. Makes me glad that you found him a good home and not have to go other routes. Otis will adapt and move along and fingers crossed that you do too. I'll be sending ya some positive energy on Saturday Bradd. Hang in there bud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats a shame.

I had a lady tell me once she could train her two pitbulls to attack people but she couldn't housebreak them so she had to rehome them. That was a conversation i'll never forget.

It's strange some dogs (or owners?) have such a problem with this.
I taught my dog to use the house bathroom if he needed to go. The only time he ever pooped in the house he jumped in the bathtub to do it. What an easy cleanup, I was a proud papa that day.

Do you have any ideas on why you were unable to housebreak Otis?

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
Thats a shame.

I had a lady tell me once she could train her two pitbulls to attack people but she couldn't housebreak them so she had to rehome them. That was a conversation i'll never forget.

It's strange some dogs (or owners?) have such a problem with this.
I taught my dog to use the house bathroom if he needed to go. The only time he ever pooped in the house he jumped in the bathtub to do it. What an easy cleanup, I was a proud papa that day.

Do you have any ideas on why you were unable to housebreak Otis?
It is not OK for a dog to use the bathroom in the house once properly trained. The OP has had behavioral issues with this dog aside from the marking as well. Not every dog is the right fit and it is perfectly OK to find a better fit for a dog that doesn't mesh with your lifestyle or current pack.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah couldn't really tell you definitively why he continued to potty in the house. Could be boredom, revenge, or he just couldn't hold it anymore.

Like EckoMac said, not every dog is right for everyone. My lifestyle is more laid back, lower energy so to have a crazy, high energy puppy just doesn't work for me. When he was brought to me, I thought I would be able to handle him. After countless injuries to myself and my home over the past year, the light bulb finally went off in my head that his needs are higher than what I can provide.

I tried fooling myself for as long as I could, but the truth sometimes doesn't go the way we want it to. More than anything, I wanted it to work out but I know it just won't.

I'm so happy he will be going to a great home, although I wish it wasn't so far away! I was hoping to be able to see him from time to time and to say hello, but that will have to be done virtually.

Make no mistake, relinquishing a dog is one of the most heartbreaking feelings I know of. Dogs (along with making music) is one of my true passions in life, so I take these types of decisions very hard and get quite emotional when I think or speak of it. I keep trying to convince myself this is for the best for everyone, but a part of me will always feel like a failure for giving him up. That will subside in time, but I dwell for now.

Thank you again everyone for the help and support! I already miss him and he doesn't leave until Saturday.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am glad you found something that works. Good homes are sometimes a challenge to find. I wish you and him the best. The last time I had to give up a dog it broke my heart. I feel for you but I'm glad you found something that works for everybody.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all, just another update. Otis is safe with his new family and they are loving him tons. I am very happy for him and shared my joy with them by informing them I would be looking for the right dog for me this weekend. I reached out yesterday to get an update and was pretty surprised at the response I received from the new owners.

Since they determined Otis is such a sweet and loveable dog, they could not fathom why I would get rid of him. Apparently the new owner takes offense to me "dumping" Otis only to turn around and get a new dog so quickly. I had reiterated to her my situation and what could have happened if I hadn't taken him in. I suppose that wasn't good enough for her and she persisted to demonize me. At that point, I had enough and blocked her.

Needless to say, I was floored, shocked, appalled, saddened at this type of a response. She didn't seem to have any problem with the situation when I initially explained to her the deal. Now all of a sudden she got what she wanted and felt the need to play Ms. high and mighty who passes judgement on those she doesn't even know. I don't play that.

OTIS WAS NOT THE RIGHT DOG FOR ME. NOT EVERY DOG IS RIGHT FOR EVERY PERSON.

It's a real shame an otherwise amicable relationship brought together by a dog was destroyed so quickly by someone's short-sightedness. I have no doubt Otis will be well taken care of. In retrospect, I really wish he would have went to more classy, dignified people.

Thanks again all.

·
Super Moderator
5,268 Posts
Sorry to hear about that BS. The important part is Otis is being taken care of and you need to move on and take care of yourself. I have no doubt that you will and wish you good luck in finding the right dog for you. You were right to block her. You have no need to try and convince her of your point of view. The transaction is complete. Let the Otis story end here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Nubwagon. The dog community is full of plenty of conceit. What a bummer, though. I am glad you protected your own emotional space from judgy jerks. No one should have to deal with that crap. Everyone has an opinion and they aren't always good and fair. I have dealt with a lot of unsolicited opinions in the realm of dogs and cutting ties is sometimes the best we can do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts