Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I bought my pit last week (my 3rd pit actually). He's supposidely between 5-6 months. He was underfed and has very little muscle mass. The guy I bought him from most likely didnt take good care of him. When I weighted him last week he was 24.8 lbs I believe. Is this average? If so, or not, how much do you think he will weight when full size? And how long do they take to get to full size? He's from a razor's edge gotti line also and I know those pits are supposed to be big but because of his malnutrition I dont know if he doesnt have much time to catch up and be as big as he would have been..

I give him a vitamin supplement everyday that my vet gave me. I also try to feed him 3 x a day but he doesn't sseem to eat much of his food at all (unless I put some chicken or something else in)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Hey,

I bought my pit last week (my 3rd pit actually). He's supposidely between 5-6 months. He was underfed and has very little muscle mass. The guy I bought him from most likely didnt take good care of him. When I weighted him last week he was 24.8 lbs I believe. Is this average? If so, or not, how much do you think he will weight when full size? And how long do they take to get to full size? He's from a razor's edge gotti line also and I know those pits are supposed to be big but because of his malnutrition I dont know if he doesnt have much time to catch up and be as big as he would have been..

I give him a vitamin supplement everyday that my vet gave me. I also try to feed him 3 x a day but he doesn't sseem to eat much of his food at all (unless I put some chicken or something else in)
Just so you know, that's a AM Bully line. My Athena is from the Gotti line and she is just now 5 months. She is 40 lbs. Size will vary. I've seen big and small from the Gotti/RE lines. Post some pics!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
wow your 5 month old is 40 pounds :cheers:

I'm think today my pit will be around 30-35 pounds
From the pics I've posted, some think she might be a tad over weight, but I don't think so. In person she looks great. She's still a pup so she's still got a lot of growing to do. Once she gets older I'll start working her to get her toned up. My Smudge (mutt) on the other hand is a little porky! LOL! He runs around like crazy but just really holds his weight. We've managed to knock about 5 lbs off of him since we switched food so it's going in the right direction.

To the OP, post some pics when you can. It'll give people a better idea of the condition your pup is in.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
How long is a peice of string :)

Sorry but you cant't really put a weight on it, as they come in alot of sizes

Reactions: wild_deuce03

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Just curious, you said you're giving him vitamin supplement? What kind?

I've read similar articles to this before & read it's unhealthy to give a puppy weight gaining vitamin supplements. Which is why I ask what kind?

I would just get him on a regular natural nutrition diet, with supplemental milk mixed in his food. There's natural fat in the milk & that's what I did for my boy Lex when I got him. He came from a byb & he was half the size of his siblings, of course this was at 6 weeks of age. But I kept him on a regular diet, adding eggs & puppy milk here every other feed. He's now on a normal diet of dog food & weighs a good 65lbs

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
How long is a peice of string :)

Sorry but you cant't really put a weight on it, as they come in alot of sizes
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Very true!!! LOL!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Was just curious as to why you would purchase a dog from someone who had the dog malnourished due to lack of care? And on top of that you say the dog is supposedly that age? If they didn't even know the age of the dog...this tells me lots of bad things right off the bat...as far as the dog being gotti or edge...or a mixture of both...I would highly doubt that without the proper paperwork...sounds like someone gave you the common story of a byb...the only way this story would get more classic is if they told you he/she will produce blues lol...I always hear idiots spout off the same byb non-sense...I would suggest you get the dog on a high quality feed...and enjoy it for what it is...your pet...best of luck to you...

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I don't think i have ever really weighted my dogs. I just let them grow and guess

·
Registered
207 Posts
On Tuesday, Cairo (13.5 weeks) is 23 lbs.... one of the vets said my boy will be HUGE, the other said Cairo was looking skinny, even though he weighs so much.. which, i kind of agree with her, standing up and looking down at him, i can see his hips and his tummy goes in, but look at him from the side and he looks nice and full and perfectly proportioned. i know he's healthy, thats all that matters, I've had him for about 2 weeks now and he is eating Innova Puppy Food.. :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
each dog is different but if you know the bloodline and pedigree if the dog you can judge how big they should be. If you have a scatterbred dog and it sounds like you might since it came from a BYB then you have no way of knowing how big your dog will be. Just go on how the dog looks and remember most dogs go through a stage where they are long and lanky then they come into their own. I do not know if I would feed 3 times a day and if your dog is just picking at his food then you are over feeding him. Go down to twice a day and measure how much you feed. Try about 1.5 cups a feeding and go from there. You should be able to see a little bit of ribs and no hip bones. If you cannot see any ribs or the outline of ribs your dog is over weight. Also no need to supplement a growing puppy just him him grow.

I have 2 puppies the same age but I bred them and know about how big they will be full grown. They are about 25lbs right now and should reach about 40 when fully grown. These guys are smaller gamebred dogs and bullies can rage in weight.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Luna ia am bully as well, mostly Re lil gotti like 5-6 gen back but looks classic bully she is about 60lbs and at 9 months. even bullys will range in size they arent all the big fat 80lb+ dogs you could end up with a more clasic sleeker style bully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my pit last week (my 3rd pit actually). He's supposidely between 5-6 months.

I have four dogs that are six months and one is 61 pounds, 59, 48 and 42.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
you're a year late bud

1 - 20 of 38 Posts