Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I like the video. Shows how humans exaggerate parts of the breeds they like and ultimately ruin them, health wise and function wise. The pitbull hasn't gone that extreme, since most Staffs can still run around, but the Bully people should pay attention to this.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Great post, this video sums up in very, VERY basic terms what i've been saying.. Registries kill all function.. I have never supported registries nor have i/will i ever own a show dog.. Not all are this extreme but its a plague of plagues concerning ALL breeds and only getting worse as registries constantly change their definitions of x breeds as they continue to fall a part..

Great post and should make for good conversation..

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
what a disgusting video. i cant stand people who breed only for looks, especially when that look makes the dogs suffer

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
what a disgusting video. i cant stand people who breed only for looks, especially when that look makes the dogs suffer
Its a good video that displays (in very basic way) what happens when you breed away from function ability.. Any breed out there thats being bred only for the show ring will eventually turn out this way.. Its already happen as you can see through just a few generations.. You can also begin to see this in American Bullies only after a decade and a half or so.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is very sad when we look at what we have done to the different breeds. I was considering getting a neo a couple of months back, so I did a bit of research into the breed: and what I read about their load of health issues was not at all encouraging! One guy on the neo forum made the comment that, honestly- they were lucky if they even got 4 years out of their dogs! Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!

But at the same time we see this type of extreme living every day. Our houses get bigger, our cars- our greed! Bigger, faster, beating this record, then that record. Where's the simple life?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
It is very sad when we look at what we have done to the different breeds. I was considering getting a neo a couple of months back, so I did a bit of research into the breed: and what I read about their load of health issues was not at all encouraging! One guy on the neo forum made the comment that, honestly- they were lucky if they even got 4 years out of their dogs! Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!

But at the same time we see this type of extreme living every day. Our houses get bigger, our cars- our greed! Bigger, faster, beating this record, then that record. Where's the simple life?
This is why you have working stock and show stock.. Show stock (bred strictly show or heavy on show with some go) is where majority of your issues come into hand where as your working stock is where the hound lays.. If you look at breeders many working stock hounds look far, far different than show dogs as they are still build for purpose.. A working neo is not going to have any where near the amount of issues as a show neo.. Now that is not to say these 'newer' health problems haven't tainted the working stock in some degree however a proper breeder will see these issues arising and stop it before it gets out of hand.. As a working hound that cannot work is useless.. Just as a show person, a working hound that cannot fit within the registry standard is useless as they are only concerned about show titles..

Now there are some out there that have their hand in both the show ring and working ability, typically though divided far ends of the spectrum..

You can also pull up plenty of videos that show the difference between working stock and show stock in terms of work loads.. Most commonly, show GSD's attempting Schutzhund compared to working stock.. There are also plenty of videos out there of "PP training" show stock that have no nerves for such work.. All they are doing is breaking the dog down by attempting to do so..

Virtually all breeds have suffered over the past century due to registries.. In part..

Doing your research is excellent however you need to keep in mind in order to get the right answers you must first discover what it is your looking for.. Show or work.. Go from there and go directly to the source.. General information about "x" breed will get you no where.

Reactions: American_Pit13

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
wow, it amazes me how much selective breeding can destroy a whole generation of future dogs. I never though about it until the past few years and it really has opened my eyes. I like how they mention game dogs not really changing, even though their purpose has.

I liked seeing a Tibetian spaniel, Gargamel's bff is one and I had never heard of them before meeting Buster. Totally a little lassie. lol

Thanks for posting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts