Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I work part time at an animal shelter in central Indiana. I am currently working with a 2-year-old male pitbull who needs to find a working home or at least a home with a very savvy handler. This is not a dog for the average pet owner.

I train with a Schutzhund club and I do some agility work, so I've been around awesome working dogs and this guy is a dream dog. He is super drivey. He has tremendous play drive and will play tug with you for hours. He also has a natural retrieve. If you throw it, he will bring it back. He is very confident. I showed him some agility equipment last weekend and in less than 10 minutes he went through a closed tunnel and over a teeter on his own. We also had him retrieving a Schutzhund I dumbbell. I had a helper from our Schutzhund club come in and work the dog, and the helper said the dog has some serious talent.

This dog wants to work and learn. He loves it when I come to get him because he knows we are going to have some fun.

I've started clicker training with him and he is catching on to that just as fast as he has learned anything else. And he retains what he learned even though I only get to see him a few times a week.

He has been in the shelter system for more than 2 months and I'm now beginning to worry that a dog with this much energy and drive is going to start to deteriorate if I can't find him the right home. Because of his strength and his love of playing tug, he needs a handler who will keep up with obedience work with him and understand that when he is tugging and regripping on the toy, that it isn't aggression, but play.

While he is nuetered now, he was just recently nuetered, so his growth plates should have been closed by the time he was nuetered. He frog legs out his back legs easily, so his hips seem ok. He tested fine on a dog/dog intro that we administer as part of a general temperament test in the shelter. The only caveat is that his play style is rough and he would require another dog with an equal play style or a home that crates and rotates (which is how I live with all my dogs).

I am pasting below video I took of him working with our Schutzhund helper as well as on some agility quipment.

Any help you could giving in finding this dog the right home would be so appreciated. I just can't tell you enough about what a great working dog he will be. Everyone who has watched me work him has been impressed.

You can contact me directly at [email protected]. -- thanks!
Connie and Prince Charming

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
awesome vids

·
Registered
679 Posts
Beautiful boy I hope he gets a great home. He is a definite plus to anyone that gets him

·
Registered
606 Posts
just out of curiousity how did he end up at your shelter? he obviously looks healthy so the chances of him being a stray is next to nill.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I hope getting his story and abilities out there will get him a super home.

Check you PMs :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has been in the shelter for 2 months now. He was found as a stray and taken to the city shelter. He was actually on the euthanasia list for the day when a pitbull rescue person saw him and got him to the shelter I work for. We won't euthanize for space, only behavior or medical issues, but he can't live with us forever. We've tried placing him on the adoption floor but his tugging and play drive are difficult for the average person taking him from his kennel to deal with and he scares people who don't know he is playing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
have you tried petfinder yet?

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Aww looks like a smart guy! Hope you find him a home soon! Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts