Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everybody!
Since my last post on my "Girlfriend" being Ripe (BTW your suggestions helped SO MUCH TY) I've Encountered a new problem. I thought Since all you folks were so helpful I would ask you this . One of her baby teeth is still in there almost attached to her new canine The baby tooth is also discolored and i can tell it hurts her ( Shes not inhaling her food). Should i try wiggling it loose ? I know the vet will charge me an arm and a leg!!
Any idea's Thanks!! Sundance

·
Registered
757 Posts
Its a recessed canine. Sometimes they will come out on their own but it wouldnt hurt to have a vet look at it. Ive seen older dogs that still have them.(but they need to be removed)

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
I wiggles my chi's loose with no prob, give did firm but not to much pressure back in forth every day for about 5min until it came loose and came out, however you may want to got to a vet it the adult K9 is fully extended as you do not want to damage the permanent tooth.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It is called a disidious tooth and 9 times out of 10 they fall out on their own. The fact it is black means the baby tooth is dead and should fall out on it's own. If you look at the picture in this link you will see the tooth is still white and alive and those need to be removed from a vet. Give it a few weeks it should come out on it's own.
The lack of excitement with eating is very common at that age and there is a sticky thread that says "puppies not eating well" go take a look at it and it will explain more about growing puppies. It is normal for them to not eat as aggressively while maturing so I think you have two issues going on. Both of them are normal and waiting a few weeks is not going to hurt anything.

If you notice the gums above the tooth are swollen then the tooth is infected but I would not worry about that with a baby tooth. If it makes you feel better to go to the vet by all means go but I think a wait and see approach is just as good in this case ;)

Retained Deciduous (Baby) Teeth in Dogs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gosh- You Nailed it on the head!! That's exactly whats happening . We were at petsmart yesterday and they told us just to sedate my little girl would be 400. My mouth feel wide open. Everything u said is correct.... The tooth being dark and the gum red above it!!THANKS SO MUCH!!! Your the best!!! Sundance & "Girlfriend"

·
Registered
757 Posts
Call it whatever you wanna call it but nonetheless its a baby tooth that doesnt need to be there. Ive actually had old "dog men" try to tell me theyre "double cutters" and their dogs are bred to have them lol. I always try to give them the facts but they usually wont listen. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My girlfriend and I recently took her weiner dog to the vet. He also has a recessed canine and they told me we should get it removed when he gets fixed. It will collect food and cause bacteria... and also can cause discomfort.
I would just let the vet take a look!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
9 times out of 10 they fall out on thier own don't waste money havingthem removed unless the dog is 6 months or older. Even then I might wait till 7 months but with it black it is just a matter of time. The vtes just want your 400 bucks for pulling a tooth that will fall out on it's own. Sneaky vets! lol

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
not so long ago Bogart had retained canines. the vet advised to try to playtug, chew and wiggle them to loosen them and refused the extraction..I went home and did as he said BUT His gums began to look red where his retained canines were on bothsides. what happened was the two teeth trapped food between them opening up the risk to develope infection and periodontal disease.
With Bogart he ate poop so of course.. NASTY! he developed an infection with an abses in the right top canines gum. I called his vet and went ahead and paid for the extraction and antibiotics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts