Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my first pitt two days ago. She just turned eight weeks old and is great with myself, the cats, my mother, and my son.
Anyways, I took her out today to meet and greet some strangers. On all occasions, she will bark and, when they come up to her, she tucks her tail and hides behind me. When they turn to leave, she will wag her tail but will still stay behind me and watch. Of course, I didn't praise her behavior.
I'm thinking that perhaps she's still getting adjusted to being away from her little mates and mom and this will hopefully clear with proper socializing (considering she is so young).
Anyone else have a "brave" pup that ran away when it came to strangers? Is this a issue I should be concerned with? Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
First, it is "pit" one t if you must use that term.

Second, socialize her as much as possible but don't put her in situations that would cause her to be uncomfortable. In other words, don't force her to do something. She is still young so human socialization is imperative.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
yeah all dogs are different so to say what is "normal" is hard. But it seems like she is unsure, just have people hang out and don't force her into anything. Build her confidence and she should be able to understand you wont put her in harms way. She is still a baby so just baby her :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously? I ask a question and the spelling police show up? :-/
ANYWAYS, that's what I kind of figured. I know it must be hard for her to transition from being with mom to getting thrown into a house with random people. She is my baby and I want to make sure I bring her up to be the best that she can be. For now, I will keep introducing her to new things and hopefully she will get comfortable with all the new sights and sounds in the coming weeks. Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I would suggest holding off on taking her everywhere and exposing her to everything until she's been fully vaccinated. Parvovirus is a nasty bug that lurks for years on surfaces and is easily contracted through physical contact with an infected surface. I would even suggest having visitors remove their shoes when coming over and wash their hands before being allowed to touch your pup. I know having a new puppy is exciting and you're eager to get her out there and make her an ambassador of the breed but the novelty shouldn't come at the expense of her health.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts