Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had searched the site on ways to help potty train my pups and get the urine smell out of the carpet. I came across a lot of information on using white vinegar so I purchased some and proceded to clean every inch of carpet in our house...only to find out that my plan to stop them from finding their own smell in the carpet completely back fired and my pits love the smell/taste of the vinegar and are trying to rip up the carpet. -sigh- so now that the pee smell is out of the carpet - how do I get the vinegar smell/taste out of the carpet? I know a few ways to get it out of the carpet but our carpet is black so many of those methods would ruin it. Also, anymore potty training tricks? I've only been able to get each of my pups to poop outside once...and they've stopped using their pee pee pads. We bought housetraining spray but I think its making them use their pads & outside less than before... thank you for any advice that may be offered! I hope I posted this in the right section.

Okay I'm editing this because I just searched the site a little more and realized 2 things:
1 - vinegar can result in molding under the carpet? How do I prevent this?
2 - tile is porous and absorbs pee/poo as well, so how do I properly clean tile?

My hubby isn't very fond of our pups so I doubt he will let me spend 30$ on a bottle of natures miracle but if its my only option I might just send him to gamestop and distract him with video games while I secretly purchase it lol

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
To be honest- I've stuck with a schedule and look for signs of having to go potty- by the time my GSD was 3 months old- he was 90% potty trained-
I just kept taking him outside 15 minutes after water or food and gave Him praise for going outside- when he wasn't able to get outside fast enough- I had him go to a wee wee pad.
By the time hewas 3-4 months old- he would cry to go outside. My job was done-
I always used oxiclean on carpets resolve with febreeze. Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XD thank you for letting me know! I had always though oxiclean was detergent so I never gave it a second look for cleaning my carpets! This is my first home so I am new to some of these cleaning products. Also, for pooping the signs are pretty obvious but peeing is the big issue. Sometimes our bully will just pee while he's eating or drinking because he feels like it. The doctor said its not a uti but he doesn't do it in a state of excitement or anything either :/ another big issue is that even if they're squatting and about to poop in the house - if I pick them up and take them outside its like the urge magically disappears and they have adhd. They just can't focus on pooping. I feel like it must be me making a mistake I just am trying to figure out what the mistake is...one time I was out there for over an hour and they wouldn't go but as soon as we came inside they went. I hope the pee pads didn't permenantly train them to use our home.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
I never had a dog potty while eating or drinking-
I limited their space to a small crate- they don't potty where they sleep- time it and get to work. Above all, patience !!!!

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Btw-you can try to move the wee wee pad outside. When they get used to it, take the pad away.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh never thought of using the pee pad outside :D thank you for the suggestion! I am going to try 100x harder than before! I know he is smart enough and it is my fault. Also, if anybody still has info on preventing carpet from molding as a result of using white vinegar let me know :D

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Oh never thought of using the pee pad outside :D thank you for the suggestion! I am going to try 100x harder than before! I know he is smart enough and it is my fault. Also, if anybody still has info on preventing carpet from molding as a result of using white vinegar let me know :D
No problem
Vinegar kills mold-just get a shop vac and get the cleaning.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh good to know! I thought the vinegar would cause molding for some reason. Thank you for all of your help this morning :D

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Your welcome bud

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If the husband is not fond of the dogs you will always fight over them and is a big problem. Get rid of the husband or find the dogs a nice home. It is not worth fighting all the time, if he will not let you spend 30 on the dogs then what happens when they need to go to the vet? Personally if my husband told me no I would find a new husband...... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts