Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately it seems dogs with behavior issues is becoming a fad. mostly with pitbull owners. its not the dogs fault its the owners. two main reasons for behavior problems are stress and boredome

reasond why ur dog can become stressed or bored

lack of attention,in crate too long even when owner is home, in house too often,poor diet, not exersized enough,not enough play time,not on walks enough, ignored, other possibly agressive animals in the house, abuse, neglect, untreated illness as little as a rash, scolded too much or not enough praise.

symptoms, always hyper, chews on everything,digs a lot, whines, is solitary, over weight, pulls on walks, acts cowardly, acts agressive, sleeps a lot.

remember pitbulls are HIGH energy dogs and maybe what u do with ur dog just isnt enough a pitbull is like an energizer bunny. so those of u who already know this PLEASE add more or change something i already put because people do need advice on how to manage their dog. another big reason i didnt list is lack of discipline. so please add ur thoughts and advice!!!!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
You make a very good point. I crate my dog and I have to take her out several times a day for lots of run time. Even being out of her crate and in the house is not enough. I take her out on a 35 foot lead and let her dart around in the fields . She also plays with her dog friend , but that doesn't burn much energy because her friend is very small lol... Some people seem to forget that their dogs need daily exercise not weekly. more than room to run they need things to play with and when crated I give mine toys and chews for entertainment. I have seen first hand how fast dogs develop issues due to lack of attention and exercise.

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
I can't add much, you already covered it..

·
Registered
429 Posts
It might seem like with Pit owners but it is really with all dogs. Especially working breeds. Border Collies and Malinois end up in rescue with problems because their owners got them without knowing how to take care of them. All the time and energy they require.

I will say this is a very good post! I think you covered most of it. For each dog it can be different on what stresses them out. For instance one might hate a kennel but enjoy running on a chain. So that could cause them to be in distress and not content when outdoors, which leads to them acting out - barking, digging, destructive chewing, escaping.

I'm pretty much just going over what you did and maybe adding here and there.

Lack of attention - Dogs are social being, APBTs get very attached to their family and thrive on human attention. There are atypical ones which could care less but many enjoy the devotion of their people. They need praise, play, training, walking, all these things that help you bond with them and make them well behaved/well adjusted.

Crated too long - Some dogs get along ok when in crates for long periods of time, even though it isn't too fair to them. Others become very bored and frustrated. They might eventually get out and do damage on your stuff. Other times when let out they are way too hyper, high strung, nippy, don't listen, ect but its because they have an over abundance of energy and have had no outlet all day. If the dog were not crated almost 24/7 the dog would be much more calm, obedient and well adjusted. This isn't to say a hyper dog isn't going to run around and play a lot, but it will be totally differently the dog is manageable. You'll also need to give a dog like that more excercise. You'll have to put effort into walking/playing with the dog.

Isolated
in other fashions can produce the same results and can also lead to fear and under socialization. Like dogs kept in a room or basement that hardly ever get out. They can have an array of behavior or temperament problems.

I think being inside too much as well. Dogs need exercise and outside time. Most people are not happy being cooped up in the house all the time. I realize dogs are not people but they still need activity in their daily lives. I know it varies from dog to dog but people need to do whats best for their individual dog. I really don't think its takes too much sense to realize what makes them happy. They need walks, play and even outdoor alone time for those who like it. Some don't want to be outside by themselves, only if you are walking them or using the flirtpole, ect others even if they have already done that with them would rather say outside alone for a bit then go back inside even if you are going in. If the dog is going to be outside by themselves provisions need to be made to make sure they can't/won't escape.

Lack of exercise is such a big one. Especially with working breeds. I have one that I can really never seem to tire out, she will calm down somewhat but she would keep going if she could. Being that it is winter hear and there isn't much we can do I see that its taking an effect on her being more hyper in the house. If she were never exercised or confined all day she'd be a total wreck. She already gets stir crazy as it is. We do walks and drag weight on the warmer days and on the frigid days we have to mostly stay inside. But she can still run after a ball, play with the other dogs, and yes I use the flirtpole inside with her about 30mins every night. If she didn't get this energy out she'd be a terror. She responds much better to training and is more content when she gets more exercise and play.

Health reasons is one that usually goes unnoticed but it has been noted that bad behavior can be linked to them. Especially if their seems to be a sudden change in temperament, if nothing else has changed (like the dogs living situation, exercise or other routine) then I'd suspect an under lying medical problem.

Scolded too much or not enough praise, I never really thought about that but its probably true like with children. I mean I know being too hard on the dog all the time is just going to produce negative effects and the dog still won't make you happy if you ruin it. The way you put it sounds good.

I think being destructive/chewing can be a sign but we should also remember that some dogs do this for fun with being bored. Even if they get the right amount of attention, training and exercise some just like to destroy whatever they can. It is fun and entertaining for them and they are not acting out, just like some dogs like to roll around balls/food bowls their muzzle/feet, or toss the rope toys around for themselves or pop balls out of their mouths and chase them some n the other hand like to chew and rip everything up with that intent from the get go.

For the symptoms I would also add barks a lot. Bored dogs often bark, especially when outside too much and ignored. They will do it though in the house too if they don't get enough attention, some people get complaints again them about their dogs barking when they are at work and their dog is inside bored and alone. Also stress dogs will bark for whatever reason they are stressed, whether it is boredom or another reason.

Disobedience is probably another one, like tuning you out. Even if they are trained and no what you are saying if the dog isn't getting attention/exercise regularly they might just start doing what they want without regard to you telling them no, stop, down.

Scratching/licking/biting as themselves is another sign too. The dog is in emotional distress usually due too much time in isolation. They start to become self destructive, some obsessive licking wounds they've created. Or even causing soreness/wounds from all the licking and "digging" (like when they have allergies or fleas they "dig" with their front teeth type thing) and they keep doing it making it worse.

Jumping or nipping too. Not in aggression just out of being "overloaded" some high strung young dogs that haven't had a good structure in training and exercise might be nippy/grabby, most pups grow out of this and you can discourage them from doing it but when they haven't had that proper treatment they keep doing it even though they are older. Especially if they are mostly ignored and the person goes to give them attention they are besides themselves and will nip in the play/excitement. The same with jumping, they are overly excited and just want to be all over the person and can leave some pretty nasty scratch marks.

Some also nip out of insecurity. Having to do with how they've been raised and what their temperament is like to begin with. This again isn't aggression but they don't want the person to go/leave. They grab them for attention. Some of it can be dominance related too when they are demanding attention as well. I find that mostly in other breeds and not Pits though, those other breeds also bump you, muzzle you and things for attention. Some Pits that have separation anxiety will bark when you leave them alone, scream and freak out if you walk away and they can't get too you, follow you around no matter what and grab you if think you are going to leave them. This type of behavior can be fix with some patience, modification and the proper kind of attention and exercise in a daily routine. Some people make it worse though because they either allow the dog to be glued at their hip 24/7 so they don't have to fix the problem or just decide to isolate them instead thinking they will "get over it" on their own.

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
I can share an example, I learned early on with Rocky that he was going to be a handful because as a pup he would run from person to person and if no one payed him any attention he would go to the center of the room, stare and then out of nowhere THROW himself to the floor.(Wood floor)
If that didn't get your attention he would proceed to be VERY NAUGHTY!
Chewing shoes, kitchen cabinets, table legs, anything to release his frustration. Well I was recovering from an accident and could do little with him and no-one else would. I set a goal with myself to keep this dog from getting bored. I started biking with him 4-5 times a week and noticed PROFOUND improvements in his behavior and to this day I still have to work him in some fashion almost daily. People, I swear by this regiment. Exercise, discipline, affection.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You guys pretty much said it all. Owners should spend a MINIMUM of two hours daily playing/exercising/socializing/training their dog(s).

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old_Blood said:
It might seem like with Pit owners but it is really with all dogs. Especially working breeds. Border Collies and Malinois end up in rescue with problems because their owners got them without knowing how to take care of them. All the time and energy they require.

I will say this is a very good post! I think you covered most of it. For each dog it can be different on what stresses them out. For instance one might hate a kennel but enjoy running on a chain. So that could cause them to be in distress and not content when outdoors, which leads to them acting out - barking, digging, destructive chewing, escaping.

I'm pretty much just going over what you did and maybe adding here and there.

Lack of attention - Dogs are social being, APBTs get very attached to their family and thrive on human attention. There are atypical ones which could care less but many enjoy the devotion of their people. They need praise, play, training, walking, all these things that help you bond with them and make them well behaved/well adjusted.

Crated too long - Some dogs get along ok when in crates for long periods of time, even though it isn't too fair to them. Others become very bored and frustrated. They might eventually get out and do damage on your stuff. Other times when let out they are way too hyper, high strung, nippy, don't listen, ect but its because they have an over abundance of energy and have had no outlet all day. If the dog were not crated almost 24/7 the dog would be much more calm, obedient and well adjusted. This isn't to say a hyper dog isn't going to run around and play a lot, but it will be totally differently the dog is manageable. You'll also need to give a dog like that more excercise. You'll have to put effort into walking/playing with the dog.

Isolated
in other fashions can produce the same results and can also lead to fear and under socialization. Like dogs kept in a room or basement that hardly ever get out. They can have an array of behavior or temperament problems.

I think being inside too much as well. Dogs need exercise and outside time. Most people are not happy being cooped up in the house all the time. I realize dogs are not people but they still need activity in their daily lives. I know it varies from dog to dog but people need to do whats best for their individual dog. I really don't think its takes too much sense to realize what makes them happy. They need walks, play and even outdoor alone time for those who like it. Some don't want to be outside by themselves, only if you are walking them or using the flirtpole, ect others even if they have already done that with them would rather say outside alone for a bit then go back inside even if you are going in. If the dog is going to be outside by themselves provisions need to be made to make sure they can't/won't escape.

Lack of exercise is such a big one. Especially with working breeds. I have one that I can really never seem to tire out, she will calm down somewhat but she would keep going if she could. Being that it is winter hear and there isn't much we can do I see that its taking an effect on her being more hyper in the house. If she were never exercised or confined all day she'd be a total wreck. She already gets stir crazy as it is. We do walks and drag weight on the warmer days and on the frigid days we have to mostly stay inside. But she can still run after a ball, play with the other dogs, and yes I use the flirtpole inside with her about 30mins every night. If she didn't get this energy out she'd be a terror. She responds much better to training and is more content when she gets more exercise and play.

Health reasons is one that usually goes unnoticed but it has been noted that bad behavior can be linked to them. Especially if their seems to be a sudden change in temperament, if nothing else has changed (like the dogs living situation, exercise or other routine) then I'd suspect an under lying medical problem.

Scolded too much or not enough praise, I never really thought about that but its probably true like with children. I mean I know being too hard on the dog all the time is just going to produce negative effects and the dog still won't make you happy if you ruin it. The way you put it sounds good.

I think being destructive/chewing can be a sign but we should also remember that some dogs do this for fun with being bored. Even if they get the right amount of attention, training and exercise some just like to destroy whatever they can. It is fun and entertaining for them and they are not acting out, just like some dogs like to roll around balls/food bowls their muzzle/feet, or toss the rope toys around for themselves or pop balls out of their mouths and chase them some n the other hand like to chew and rip everything up with that intent from the get go.

For the symptoms I would also add barks a lot. Bored dogs often bark, especially when outside too much and ignored. They will do it though in the house too if they don't get enough attention, some people get complaints again them about their dogs barking when they are at work and their dog is inside bored and alone. Also stress dogs will bark for whatever reason they are stressed, whether it is boredom or another reason.

Disobedience is probably another one, like tuning you out. Even if they are trained and no what you are saying if the dog isn't getting attention/exercise regularly they might just start doing what they want without regard to you telling them no, stop, down.

Scratching/licking/biting as themselves is another sign too. The dog is in emotional distress usually due too much time in isolation. They start to become self destructive, some obsessive licking wounds they've created. Or even causing soreness/wounds from all the licking and "digging" (like when they have allergies or fleas they "dig" with their front teeth type thing) and they keep doing it making it worse.

Jumping or nipping too. Not in aggression just out of being "overloaded" some high strung young dogs that haven't had a good structure in training and exercise might be nippy/grabby, most pups grow out of this and you can discourage them from doing it but when they haven't had that proper treatment they keep doing it even though they are older. Especially if they are mostly ignored and the person goes to give them attention they are besides themselves and will nip in the play/excitement. The same with jumping, they are overly excited and just want to be all over the person and can leave some pretty nasty scratch marks.

Some also nip out of insecurity. Having to do with how they've been raised and what their temperament is like to begin with. This again isn't aggression but they don't want the person to go/leave. They grab them for attention. Some of it can be dominance related too when they are demanding attention as well. I find that mostly in other breeds and not Pits though, those other breeds also bump you, muzzle you and things for attention. Some Pits that have separation anxiety will bark when you leave them alone, scream and freak out if you walk away and they can't get too you, follow you around no matter what and grab you if think you are going to leave them. This type of behavior can be fix with some patience, modification and the proper kind of attention and exercise in a daily routine. Some people make it worse though because they either allow the dog to be glued at their hip 24/7 so they don't have to fix the problem or just decide to isolate them instead thinking they will "get over it" on their own.
thanks for expanding on that one i was going to but i had to get to class u did an exelent job. thanks also ericschevy for that example of what can go wrong.:clap:

·
Registered
613 Posts
:goodpost:this is a great thread!!! everyone should read this thread and live by these three words!!! Exercise, discipline, affection i know because we do!!!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I have the same problem with Chalice. She is a very high sturng girl. I let her run for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs a day. We play fetch everyday. In the summer I try to take her swimming 3 to 4 times a week. She is a handful. Mikado could careless about being outside. He pefers to sleep in the recliner. He goes out for maybe 15 min run everyday and some days that is pushing it. Each dog is different.

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
I'd also like to add a lack of communication. I see more often than not a guy who expects his dog to understand english, only releive himself at the owners convenience, catch on immediately, be seen and not heard, I could go on and on. If a dog cannot communicate with his master or vice versa it is always a stressful relationship on both parts. We have to remember that we have created these animals and are also forcing them to exist in a world somewhere between dog and man. I don't believe that any dog is capable of being "bad". They are the most honest of all of us, They only do what comes natural to them and sadly that is viewed as "bad behavior" sometimes and even more sad is that they are punished for it. A great example of this is a guy I used to work with who bought a beagle pup and then put a shock collar on him to stop the barking. He told me over and over how stupid this pup was because he refused to listen to him. I thought about telling him how stupid he was but what's the point, you know? Like the saying goes - "if I have to explain it, you'd never understand"...

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats antother great point expecting a dog to already know commands. its almost like expecting a kid right out of japan to know what come here means the very first moment he hits the u.s.!! its called training for a reason and if u automatically expect your pup to know this stuff then its never going to learn!!

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Absolutely. It is up to us to bridge the communication gap.

·
Windbag Extrodinaire.
3,303 Posts
Great addition Buz..:clap:
Although I have to disagree My two boys DO know English..LOL
Potty
Outside
Ball
Rope
Bed
Ect.
And more recently
PULL & HAULT..LOL

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wolfie is walked 3 times a day and we play with him, hug him, kiss him and play fetch with him.We make sure we take wolfie places so that he is very well socialize. On the weekends we usually have a lot of errands to run so instead of leaving him home all alone, he goes with us. Believe it or not, he takes over the front passager seat along with my husband while I sit in the back with the kids. We call him a true "road dog". But I guess the point I'm making we make sure he is included in everything we do and make sure he is well socialized.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Old_Blood said:
It might seem like with Pit owners but it is really with all dogs. Especially working breeds.
I wanted to add an experience to this. When I was 18 I got a pair of beautiful working stock queensland heelers. About two months later I had to rehome the pair due to me being unable to handle these dogs. They wanted to work thats what they where bred for, but I just wanted house pets. Due to me not researching and knowing what I was getting I got dogs that where not happy with being lazy house pets so they where getting very stressed out and where starting to developed bad behaviors. I gave them to a ranch guy and they now do great work that they love, with none of the problems they had with me.

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that is true i guess what i ment to say was first time pitbull owners who have never had pitbull or possibly any other breed expirience before tend to blame there pitbull for the problems or people may have had other breeds that might not have so much energy get a pit for the first time not know how much energy they have blame the dog for bad behavior when they are the ones not exersizing the dog that much.

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think this stuff goes hand in hand with bad training technuiqes. such as lack of training and abuse. some people actually hit their dogs which i feel accomplishes nothing or they spend way too much time on correcting negative behaviors in stead of reinforcing posative ones. negative and posative behavior reinforcement should be done equally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts