Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The transistion of being a family dog to a vicious killer begin with the outlawing of dog fighting. Please think long and hard before posting a reply. I for one do not condone dog fighting.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Huh? Are you asking of people agree with you and your statement? I think it was when sports illustrated ran a pit bull on one of their cover's with the headline vicious killer. Brought it to the forefront for wanna be hoodlums to think its cool.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would say from an objective timeline point of view... the evidence speaks for itself. Pitbulls were not persecuted until shortly after dog fighting was made illegal. Atleast that's what my relatively limited research suggests.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
I would say from an objective timeline point of view... the evidence speaks for itself. Pitbulls were not persecuted until shortly after dog fighting was made illegal. Atleast that's what my relatively limited research suggests.
i think those who established pre 1976 working dogs were alot more goal orriented and bred for themselves. leaving them all in knowledgable and capable hands

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
This has got to be a joke... :poke:
Its no joke.. Prior to becoming a national crime these hounds were bred strictly for their function and ability as a pit dog.. We can argue right or wrong in the ethics aspect of this however it is in fact irrelevant.. There were rules followed and anyone in the sport pre 76' did it as humanely and ethically as possible..

Now, fast forward post 1976.. Some dogmen stayed in and risked it all, others immediately "resigned" and gave away their yards.. Of course, there is more to the story than this however that is the general out come aside from also moving out of the country.. ANYWAY, after the AWC was passed and took into effect, these hounds, game dogs, curs alike were readily available to a general public that had NO business owning, feeding and keeping these hounds.. Very few had experience with a high drive Bulldog let alone understood the hounds..

The other aspect of course is once these were available thugs that heard the stories or knew people involved in the sport all of a sudden wanted one for protection.. After all, they are raw performers so they MUST be HA... Then the piss poor breeding practices started with breeding these high drive hounds for all sorts of reasons.. Peddling as money bags, "protection", crossing with other dogs for no other reason than to have a "badass dog yo".. Before these doggers could even blink an eye, the damage was catastrophic and so rapid it was a done deal.. The Bulldog, the American Pit Bull Terrier.. Was now in the hands of the general public..

In the early 1980s S.I put on the cover a "pit bull" that was barking, drooling and had a very aggressive demeanor.. In big, bold writing exclaimed "Beware of this dog!".. Now what do you think happens next? Every low life thug immediately wants one, every drug dealing gang banger says oh snap got have it! The significant down fall of the 90s and 00s of these Bulldogs went in full force.. The rest, well we all know.. Rap videos feature, all of a sudden in the news 24/7, BSL spreads like wild fire, underground fighting that is completely and utterly inhumane, it all goes down hill..

The simple fact is, agree with it or disagree, before 1976 and when it was in its National prime.. The pit dog was in the right hands, bred towards the right function and because of this, stability, mentality, etc followed suit.. THE most stable hounds across the world is purposely build machines.. Respectfully so.. NO world class hound can be faulty in body and mind.. 100% all or not at all..

Of course, there is a great deal of information missing from this however the bulk of it.. Its in black and white

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Huh? Are you asking of people agree with you and your statement? I think it nhan when sports illustrated ran the cover with the headline vicious killer. Brought it to the forefront for wanna be hoodlums to think its cool.
I went to rep you for this post and clicked the report post thingy (damn phone :stick:)

The Sports Illustrated cover really brought the breed under harsh public scrutiny, as well as attracting a lot of people to the breed for the wrong reasons (those that wanted 'tough' dogs, 'killer' dogs or your general all purpose penis enlarger 'badass' dog) Soon after that, you began to see the trend toward big, overdone dogs and the media began ferreting out stories involving 'pit bull' maulings. It is unfortunate that the age of instant information (and misinformation) coincided with that story.
IMO, the illegality of dog fighting didn't play a major role. Even when it was legal, most people were pretty polarized on the subject. However, early on and up until quite recently, the DOGS involved in fight busts were seen as 'bad'. I think there has been a very clear public shift started away from that mindset in recent years, though it has been a long road to reach that point, a point where the dogs are viewed as victims of the crime, rather than the perpetrators.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
:goodpost: KM, I also agree to some extent that if these dogs had just stayed in the hands of dogmen and fighting was not made illegal, they probably would not ever be in the situation they are in now. But then I would not have my boy I love now, so its a catch 22 I think, but that's not what the OP was asking (I dont THINK lol) so I dont need to go there.

I went to rep you for this post and clicked the report post thingy (damn phone :stick:)

The Sports Illustrated cover really brought the breed under harsh public scrutiny, as well as attracting a lot of people to the breed for the wrong reasons (those that wanted 'tough' dogs, 'killer' dogs or your general all purpose penis enlarger 'badass' dog) Soon after that, you began to see the trend toward big, overdone dogs and the media began ferreting out stories involving 'pit bull' maulings. It is unfortunate that the age of instant information (and misinformation) coincided with that story.
IMO, the illegality of dog fighting didn't play a major role. Even when it was legal, most people were pretty polarized on the subject. However, early on and up until quite recently, the DOGS involved in fight busts were seen as 'bad'. I think there has been a very clear public shift started away from that mindset in recent years, though it has been a long road to reach that point, a point where the dogs are viewed as victims of the crime, rather than the perpetrators.
I agree, thankfully people are realizing its more about the actual things the dogs are put through and look at them as individuals, not a fighting dog. Thank goodness there have been so many willing to undertake that task to prove people wrong and prove that they can be rehabilitated with little scars or damage (except on the outside of course) I will say it is the one good thing to come out of MV case was the saving of the innocent dogs who were a victim of circumstance is now common practice, not automatic death sentence as it was prior to MV case..

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No thats exactly what I was stating.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bulldog is long gone my friends. All we have now is a lovely and hopefully a working representation

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A dog not bred or used for their original purpose is no longer that dog at all, whether for good or bad

·
Registered
816 Posts
you are basically saying a tiger in a zoo is no longer a tiger.

u do make a valid point. but as humans evolve so will animals BECAUSE of human evolution unfortunately

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understood but 90% of "pitbulls" are nothing more than youd find at a pound.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A tiger at the zoo still serves the same purpose as one in the wild and hasnt changed in thousands of years. Were talking under a half century for bulldogs in there proven form a little over a century since there existence

·
Registered
100 Posts
I really don't know if I like what I'm reading here. It almost sounds like some of you are advocating dog fights. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not at all but the present and future would have never had existed without a past and dog fighting now is more gruesome and less humane now than it was when it was legal. Still wrong regardless though

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pardon my grammer and vocab.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts