Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is about 4 months old now and about a week or two ago I noticed three little bumps on his tail he wouldn't stop bitting then causing them to bleed they then scabed over and now he has little bald spots what could this be?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
That's cool unless it looks raw and infected you can wait a bit to take him in. Scraping might find something. Thinking mange would be in more areas so I would lean towards stud tail. Google image search stud tail and it looks similar.

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/bacterialskin.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does look kinda like stud tail around the time I first noticed these bumps his whole face broke out in hives but before his appointment at the vet later that day they completely went away also I should clearify the bumps looked like dry skin before he chewed on them

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Ah if it was spread out it is probably more than stud tail like BC said. Sorry I misunderstood

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
What do you feed your dog? Do you use any household products on bedding and stuff that could be irritating his skin? I would have a skin scrape done just in case.

·
Hitting the Trails Weekly
344 Posts
Could be allergies but that looks similar to the spots my boy had when he was diagnosed with a staph infection.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Could be allergies but that looks similar to the spots my boy had when he was diagnosed with a staph infection.
Staph infections are usually the result of scratching/biting at a previously irritated area. You could be right that it has now turned into a staph infection, but it's always wise to try and figure out the underlying cause in order to prevent it in the future. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts