Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I noticed that my 1 years old pit has a terrible bald spot(s) on his tail. I am very particular about my dog, and due to the fact that no one will see him in my area because of his breed I watch everything he does and eats like a HAWK lol his behavior hasn't changed, he doesn't nibble at it(that I've ever seen), I also wash him throughly and pay attention to his water so I feel like he doesn't have any ticks or fleas. What could be causing this? I read somewhere that it could be from the fact that he sleeps in his crate but wanted other opinions before I changed anything, he also doesn't have any bald spots anywhere else and nothing in his first has changed :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Siri hates me too. Always makes me sound like an idiot. LOL!

Try putting organic coconut oil on the spot. Skin looks really dry but not too red. I would also suggest rotating coconut oil and fish oil daily in his food.
Is he neutered? What do you feed him?
Where are you that a vet won't see your dog? I don't know any vet that would turn away a sick animal as long as the owner has a wallet to pay the bills with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Siri hates me too. Always makes me sound like an idiot. LOL!

Try putting organic coconut oil on the spot. Skin looks really dry but not too red. I would also suggest rotating coconut oil and fish oil daily in his food.
Is he neutered? What do you feed him?
Where are you that a vet won't see your dog? I don't know any vet that would turn away a sick animal as long as the owner has a wallet to pay the bills with.
He eats Taste of the Wild:Bison & Vension
He's not fixed, but I've actually thought about it and I live in the dessert a lot of people here have dogs but small ones. Currently moving to Las Vegas so it's a bit hectic lol I just bought the oils and will be using them

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
It could be stud tail. It happens when the glands get clogged. If it doesn't start showing signs of improvement over the next few days with the coconut oil, then you're going to need to find a vet that will see him. The clogged glands can cause an infection that will need antibiotics. Hopefully the natural antibacterial properties of the coconut oil keeps the bacteria in check and the vet trip isn't needed. Keep us posted. And post some pics of your whole dog. We love pics. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
It could be stud tail. It happens when the glands get clogged. If it doesn't start showing signs of improvement over the next few days with the coconut oil, then you're going to need to find a vet that will see him. The clogged glands can cause an infection that will need antibiotics. Hopefully the natural antibacterial properties of the coconut oil keeps the bacteria in check and the vet trip isn't needed. Keep us posted. And post some pics of your whole dog. We love pics. :)
This dog found me 2 weeks ago today he is not neutered and he is balding on his back and top of tail I am applying cold press coconut oil and feeding him nutro ultra. Could this be happening because of fleas? 2 weeks ago when he showed up I gave him cap start and applied advantix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
This dog found me 2 weeks ago today he is not neutered and he is balding on his back and top of tail I am applying cold press coconut oil and feeding him nutro ultra. Could this be happening because of fleas? 2 weeks ago when he showed up I gave him cap start and applied advantix

Topical flea meds shouldn't be used on a dog with skin issues. Is the food you feed grain free? If so, give it some time. If not, then complete the transition into that food and when his stool is firm and normal start a slow transition into something grain and chicken free.
All of this AFTER you see a vet to make sure it isn't mange.

·
Registered
53 Posts
He was fine when I put the advantix if I shouldn't use topical then what would you recommend?
The food I give him is nutro ultra grain free but it does have chicken. He was a stray that I took in 2 weeks ago today so he was a mess and I've been trying everything to make him healthy I've been putting cold press coconut oil on and it is improving. Taking him to the vet tomorrow so yes I will ask about that thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Topical is just a bunch of chemicals on skin that isn't healthy. The pill that you gave was good and should have just been followed by another 9-10 days later. The vet can offer you Bravecto or Comfortis. Which are both oral.
You did very well choosing coconut oil to put on it. It's naturally antibacterial, so can help in situations like yours. Once the doctor says no mange, you can look further into his diet, if that's even the issue. He could have gotten into all kinds of nasty things while he was running the streets. Bathing in Duoxo or Zymox will help as well. If the problem continues and doesn't get better in the next several weeks, you can look into a possible protein change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I took him today for his rabies and distemper also chipped him the mobile vet suggested I take him to a regular vet because they smelled yeast in his ears. I have been giving him the coconut oil topically and some orally it has improved his ears since I can now at least touch them were I couldn't last week. Do you think I should continue the oil until I get him to a vet at the end of the week? I'm trying to look into pet insurance do you know of any? I called petassure today they offer 25% off all visits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dry brush him daily to help exfoliate the skin. Do this before putting on coconut oil. You can mix in a bit of cortisone cream for 3 days and see if that will help. This type of skin problems are very common. My dog usually flare up twice a year due to environmental changes.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
i think Ecko is right. likely stud tail. supracaudal hyperplasia.
my boy got it before 2yo. he's 7 now and has a permanent bald spot. but we didn't get any infections.
the supracaudal glad is at the base of the tail. it basically secretes oily pheromones and that's partly why our pups like sniffing each other's backsides. sometimes the gland is overactive and the secretions clog the pores and the skin along the tail becomes crusty, flaky, and loses hair.
yes, it can also cause pyoderma if you don't keep it clean. so what i did was use a short bristle brush to exfoliate. wash with antibacterial. let dry. and apply coconut oil. i did this about 2 or 3 times a week for a month. then backed off to once a week. after a few months all you will have to do is exfoliate and he should be fine.
until the skin is healthier, it may bleed a little after exfoliation. just make sure your taking dead skin off and don't actually scrub it too much. the scabs will create more clogging.
good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been dry brushing before putting the coconut oil the past few days and the hair is growing back yay I've taken my Tebow to get his rabies and distemper along with chipping him this week next week I am going back to my regular vet to check his ears I believe he has an ear infection I will address the hair loss on his back also. Once he's healthy I am getting him neutered but can't do it until then. Since Tebow found me I do not know anything about him so do you think I am seeing his true colors almost 3 weeks he's been here. Reason I'm asking is I've been told that he is going to change after about a month that's when he will show his true personality so I'm a little nervous
He is a kisser and loves cuddles now I've also been working on commands so far so good and he is listening to leave it come and stay. TIA for any advise on this issue

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
You can get Zymox Otic over the counter. That will clear up his ears.
If ear infections seem to be chronic and his skin doesn't stay clear, or doesn't clear up completely, then re-evaluate his diet. Skin and ears are almost always diet related in bull breeds. But he could have eaten anything while he was running the streets. So I'd give it a month on what your feeding and see how he turns out.
As far as his personalty goes, I think you're seeing him for who he is. Just make sure you remember that he's a bull breed and you'll be fine.
Tebow huh? Gators fan?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Huge Tebow fan love his story! His mom took a chance on not aborting when told that it could kill her if she didn't ps a new life and mom is fine so with my baby I am giving him a chance of a good life I am a New Yorker so I'm a Jets fan not happy about how they treated Tebow but never the less I am a fan of all his accomplishments.
As far as my Tebow he's been on nutro ultra for 2 1/2 weeks now I will definitely watch his skin and ears after I see the vet plus I've read that coconut oil helps prevent infections is that accurate?
Ok so then the dog I'm seeing is going to be the dog I love? I've heard so many bad things about this breed I'm sure it's not all true but I'm always cautious. I owned 3 rotties years ago so I'm used to that breed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE:the coconut oil helped with the patch being dry but it wasn't until I started using the fish oil that it actually started to grow back, I've talked to a few vets and said that he should be fine but if anything changes to bring him in immediately thanks everyone for the advice! This website is a gem?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts