Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since my last post. Betsy is doing great! She is loved by the family and she has improved a lot with her dog aggression to almost none when I walked her around in my neighborhood. Overall, a good healthy dog.

Anyways,

About a month ago, I noticed Betsy has been losing fur in 3 separate patches near her rib areas. One was by her tail but it grew back. The other 2 haven't grown back and they also feel cold to the touch. This also happened after we kicked her out of the bedroom (she peed in our bed by my pillow :mad:).
Is this possible due to stress? or should I be really concerned? Please let me know if anyone has been through this with their Pit. Thank you!

E

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since my last post. Betsy is doing great! She is loved by the family and she has improved a lot with her dog aggression to almost none when I walked her around in my neighborhood. Overall, a good healthy dog.

Anyways,

About a month ago, I noticed Betsy has been losing fur in 3 separate patches near her rib areas. One was by her tail but it grew back. The other 2 haven't grown back and they also feel cold to the touch. This also happened after we kicked her out of the bedroom (she peed in our bed by my pillow :mad:).
Is this possible due to stress? or should I be really concerned? Please let me know if anyone has been through this with their Pit. Thank you!

E
i'm having the same problem with a spot on tysons tail. i hope someone will answer so i will get some insight too!!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Anyways,

E
Is Betsy itchy at all? Are the spots red or crusty? Dogs can lose hair due to stress. I have a female who went into her first heat and we have been battling demodectic mange since. I am getting her spayed before her next heat cycle because going into heat can put stress on the body along with hormonal influx. I wouldn't think your girl has mange because you didn't mention crazy itching but it could be due to allergies or stress. What do you feed her? Do you give any supplements? I give fish oils and I recently started a supplement to boost her immune system. If you can post pictures it could give us a better idea of how to help you ;)

i'm having the same problem with a spot on tysons tail. i hope someone will answer so i will get some insight too!!
If Tyson only has that one spot on the base of his tail it could be "stud tail" which is more commonly seen in un-neutered male cats and some dog breeds are more prone to it like whippets. Medical name for it is supracaudal gland hyperplasia. If Tyson is not neutered it could be that.....other wise possible hot spot, fleas, or some other skin irritation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment I give Betsy regular Pedigree canned dog food mixed with Pedigree dry food. I'm not a breeder or anything like that. She's our family dog and she's not itchy in those areas at all. It may be hot spots, but it's funny that they're cool to the touch. I will post pics as soon as I get the chance. I also used to give her supplements when we first got her since she was emaciated and from the looks of her tay tays, she had given birth not too long before that. I have fish oil pills that I can put into her food, I'll definitely start doing that. Thanks again guys. Oh and Bella is GORGEOUS!!! Betsy is a Red Nose but they have similar faces. :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thanks :) I would get her off pedigree. It is a very low quality food made with corn, by-products and other nasty fillers. I would put her on a grain free diet like taste of the wild. Look it up and read about ;) its a great food and very affordable for a quality premium diet. Sounds like her missing hair maybe allergy related and getting her off that junk food will do her good. I would also supplement her with some salmon oil. If you do this I am sure you will see results. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Get some Nustock and it should help with the spots. It does not sound allergies or they would be worse. Could be stress could just be one of those things where for what every reason they got a hot spot or lost hair. Either way I would treat it the same with Nustock.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just posted about the same thing , my dog is loosing fur just a little and i think its a food allergy,,, if anyone can tell me then thanks i also posted a pic .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hopefully it is just hot spots I remember first noticing spots too.. A week later it seemed to spread and muiltiply all around her body..

Just keep an eye on the spots and if they get worse try adding some supplements to the dog food which will help the immune system battle any problems...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts