Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I went to the vet today really fast to check up on the stool sample I had delivered to the pet clinic after the exam was done on Balls a week ago. They said that he had tape worms =( and that I would have to make another appointment for he could get a shot...should I be worried? What are tape worms and how did he get them? I am really worried!, and also for the people that helped me on his bowed leg, It is getting better it almost looks normal now, sometimes he bows it slightly but recently hes been alright, I will post up pictures later.

P.S. Should I take him for the shot? or get some type of medicine for him? and if so, which one?

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Glad to hear about his leg getting better! Tape worms come from him eating fleas. So worm him a good once a week for the next 4 weeks to make sure you kick those little boogers, and make sure you stay on top of pest control both on him, in your home and in your yard.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
As for your edited question... yes you should take him for the shots, you'll need to take your pup at least 2 times if not 3 times for shots to make sure he's fully vaccinated.

EDIT: shots do not fix worms they prevent diseases that are very common in your area. I'd call your vet and ask to buy some of their wormer so you can give it to him at home to cover all of your bases. Your wormer should cost maaaaybe 20.00 and don't worry if they sell it to you you're not going to have to pay an office visit fee.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you indigo, but is there any medication I can buy at petco, or petsmart so after the 2 or 3 shots, I can give it to him montly? or weekly? Because the clinic that I go to, is somewhat pricey to me, but I mean, I am still going to get him the shots, he is already vaccinated his shots are due next week.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I feed both my cat and dog a few tablespoons of Diatomaceous Earth every day for a number of reasons, one of which is the prevention of intestinal parasites. Diatomaceous earth is completely harmless to your pet, and chances are, you yourself have eaten a fair share of it in your lifetime. You can look here to find out all about this product, which (in my area) goes for about $25 for a 40# bag (That's a LOT of DE.) and can be found at your local livestock feedstore.

Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

Diatomaceous earth looks like a very fine, fluffy dirt, and will need to be stirred into food with a small amount of warm water.

DE can also be rubbed into animal fur to deter fleas and ticks and such, but keep in mind that due to the nature of DE, it MUST touch the insect in order to kill it. This means your dog will be lightly dusty. You will also want to take precaution so that both you and your pet do not inhale too much of this stuff, it can cause irritation to the lungs.

As a disclaimer, DE is NOT intended to be used to replace any medications prescribed by your vet. It should be used after the vet is done, as a preventative measure.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
366 Posts
interesting, i did not know that tapeworms came from fleas. i thought they cgot lime disease from ticks and fleas. thank you for that information Indago. ill definatley keep Reds shots updated i cant allow my baby to have any parasites

1 - 6 of 6 Posts