Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Pitbulls.com,

Help! I have a neighbor that is convinced my dog is the only dog out of the 8 on my block that is barking all the time. the truth is he barks at the mailman like all the other dogs on the block and the occasional stranger he sees if he is in the front yard. I have been told by my neighbor (who lives 2 houses down and across the street) that it is only my dog that is barking and that he is going to report him. Someone told me after 3 reports the city will fine you and make you get rid of your dog...

When i am home, I call him in and he comes right away even though the other dogs are still barking away. but if i am not here i'm afraid he is barking like the rest of them. I have been home for the last 3 mo. but will be starting a new job soon and am concerned he is going to get blamed and reported on for all the barking...I have always walked him twice/three times a day and now I have blocked him from the front yard. it has stopped the barking at random people walking in front of the house but he still manages to hear the mail truck from down the street and will bark a bit every time the mailman turns on the truck unless i call him in.

I bought a $10 bark off contraption but it didn't work so now I am looking into the more expensive collars and devices by PetSafe and Goodlife. Are these devices really safe? Do they work? Heard the citronella ones don't work and am not into the shock collars but am looking at the vibration/sound frequency devices. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with either of these types of devices?

Also, any advice about what to do about my neighbor and barking laws in l.a.?...how do these things play out?...is it just my word against his and whatever the court decides? my dog does bark but he isn't the only one and
he isn't barking all day long...just once a day every day when he hears the mail truck

Thanks in advance for your help...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I wouldnt leave a dog unattended in any kind of collar like that , I personally would never use any of those on my dogs. Your better to spend some money on a good crate and crate train him and put him inside while you arent home. Less likely for him to be stolen plus no complaints on him barking. Your also better of spending the money on a good trainer and working out the issues he has vs trying to find a quick fix with gimmick collars. Alot of dogs learn when those collars are off they can bark again, and it only works while it is on them and turned on. Where as deal with the issue you wont ever have to worry about if the collar is working or not. This is just my opinion.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I agree with Angel. I'm assuming he is an "outside" dog? I would definitely invest in a crate and keep him in the house when your not home. I live in the city and I know if someone had a dog outside all the time barking at everything I would complain as well. I love dogs but I don't tolerate annoying barking dogs living in close quarters to my home. If you are sure it is in fact your dog then I would keep him inside....pretty simple solution ;) however I also wonder if your dog is the one being blamed because he's a pit bull :/

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Great posts angel and bella. I had one of those across from me. yeah stop leaving your dog unattended especially if he is barking. My neighbors and I have called in my neighbor across the street so many times for barking unattended dogs, and everyone is warned multiple times. Then Fined ($500) Then court. My neighbor never had to make it to court. As soon as one dog barks she is ON IT and bringing them inside! big ol sigh.... only took 4 years of being woken up every single day at 5:45am for her to stop leaving them outside unattended and at the hint of a bark, in they go. Those dogs learned in about a month how fast they go in if they bark, and now rarely do. I understand random barks. I don't understand barking to hear their own bark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses!

It is not a case of constant boredom barking. It is more like barking intermittently for around 15-20 minutes in the middle of the day when he hears the other dogs down the street going nuts and the mail truck.

I found some local trainers in the area that specialize in barking. Would something like this be worth while or is shutting him in the house/crate the only thing to do. It seems like an awful long time, 8+ hours a day. I used the crate in the beginning over night and for 3 hrs at a time to work through some separation anxiety. But I was told not to leave him in the crate for more than 3-4 hours during the day.

I feel like he is being targeted since there are 8 other dogs that bark throughout the day at the mailman/people walking etc. Maybe it is because of his breed or that he is the biggest so they are assuming he is making the most noise.

Any thoughts about other possible training methods or good trainers in the l.a. area?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
20 minutes of barking would have me complaining. You can work with the trainer but if you arent home you wont know if its working or not. I would try crating him for awhile and see if you still get complaints, if you do you have proof then that it isnt your dog and mayebt hey will back off.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Aren't you worried about him getting stolen? You live in los angeles right? Pit bulls are one of the most stolen breeds. I'd keep him in the house regardless and hire a dog walker a couple days a week. 8 hours ain't much for an older dog ....not ideal to be crated for 8 hours a day but ten or more wouldn't be fair. Can you not trust him loose in your house to avoid the crate altogether?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
When you're not at home you can't control their behavior, a trainer wouldn't help. Crate or kennel your dog, it's better for them in many ways. All mine are, during the day 3 are crated in the house, 1 kenneled in the garage. All happy, fit, mentally stimulated dogs. But then again I exercise them and work with them frequently.

I do not, and will not keep my dogs unattended in a yard. People could poison them, they could bark as mentioned, idiots may antagonize them, they could get stolen, could throw food in, so many things could happen it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks for your responses!

I found some local trainers in the area that specialize in barking. Would something like this be worth while or is shutting him in the house/crate the only thing to do. It seems like an awful long time, 8+ hours a day. I used the crate in the beginning over night and for 3 hrs at a time to work through some separation anxiety. But I was told not to leave him in the crate for more than 3-4 hours during the day.

I feel like he is being targeted since there are 8 other dogs that bark throughout the day at the mailman/people walking etc. Maybe it is because of his breed or that he is the biggest so they are assuming he is making the most noise.

Any thoughts about other possible training methods or good trainers in the l.a. area?
As for a trainer to train your dog to not bark while he is home alone, you are hosing your money away.

For long periods of time being home in a crate. Don't over react. The dog is just fine in his crate for 8 hours. Kenneling a dog is far from anything new, hunters have done it for decades and still do. I am currently down to one apbt and one hunting dog. Hunting dog is crated all day. To hot of a dog to let alone. Your dog will be just fine and actually more comfortable in there if introduced to the kennel properly. It should happen at a young age but will work with older dogs as well, where the kennel is associated as there safe place. Never punish a dog by putting it in its crate, you then just defeated the purpose of it. My dog and dogs have always been well at home and happy to kennel up in there crates.

As for outside. You are asking for trouble. I would STOP that now. Apbt are not a dog to leave alone. They are a terrier and sooner or later being a bit too curious will leed them out. They will go over an 8' fence with ease, or under, and even just strait thru. You are setting yourself and your dog up for failure by leaving him unattended outside.

For the bark collar. Collars as a training tool should never be used without proper introduction. A dog needs to understand what is going on, why it is being corrected. This stands the same for collar conditioning a dog. Stimulation should only be used to reinforce a command a dog already knows.

Has this dog seen any form of OB training? Basic, formal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very insightful!! thanks so much for all your input...

yeah, the bark training does not make sense unless i am here and when i am here he stops barking when called so i can't figure out what the training would be.

He is overall a pretty calm, well behaved pity. he did go through a basic obedience training program with an amazing organization (K-9 Connection) who work with at risk youth and then i worked with a trainer on socialization with other dogs and walking when i initially adopted him. the training worked well and after about a month of work he no longer pulled or got overly excited when seeing other dogs on walks. i also did some separation anxiety training cause he was tearing down the front curtains. he was already used to sleeping in the crate at night so we started slowly introducing him to it during the day but in the third week he split his nail after we worked up to only 30 minutes in the crate and i swore i would never do that again. i just blocked him from the front widows and let him roam inside/outside again. although he was stressed when i left he never destroyed anything or made a mess. he just paced and whined. the crying and pacing lessen rather than escalated after about two weeks and maybe a month or two later i unblocked the windows and haven't had a problem.

but now that i may be working outside the home again and leaving him inside, i think i need to revisit the separation anxiety training and possibly look into a dog walker too for the beginning anyway.

thanks again for sharing your experience and input!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Very insightful!! thanks so much for all your input...

yeah, the bark training does not make sense unless i am here and when i am here he stops barking when called so i can't figure out what the training would be.

He is overall a pretty calm, well behaved pity. he did go through a basic obedience training program with an amazing organization (K-9 Connection) who work with at risk youth and then i worked with a trainer on socialization with other dogs and walking when i initially adopted him. the training worked well and after about a month of work he no longer pulled or got overly excited when seeing other dogs on walks. i also did some separation anxiety training cause he was tearing down the front curtains. he was already used to sleeping in the crate at night so we started slowly introducing him to it during the day but in the third week he split his nail after we worked up to only 30 minutes in the crate and i swore i would never do that again. i just blocked him from the front widows and let him roam inside/outside again. although he was stressed when i left he never destroyed anything or made a mess. he just paced and whined. the crying and pacing lessen rather than escalated after about two weeks and maybe a month or two later i unblocked the windows and haven't had a problem.

but now that i may be working outside the home again and leaving him inside, i think i need to revisit the separation anxiety training and possibly look into a dog walker too for the beginning anyway.

thanks again for sharing your experience and input!!!
My boy does fine without a crate. Anyway to isolate him from the front of the house, the crate is cool and no problem and a WONDERFUL tool for dogs that are not potty trained or tear up the house. My boy only had issues with the recycling bin, he loved to tear it up, lol. Now the recycle bin is on the porch I never have any problems or surprises when I come home, unless I forget to scan for stuff before I leave. If you don't "like" the crate, how about a bathroom or some other room with a door? Not a crate, but damage would be contained and you would not stress and worry if you are running late.

Dog walkers are great though, totally release energy for them that they may not get. I know my boy can hold it forever (27 hours was the longest he went because of a really bad snow storm, I would try to take his butt out and he would look at me, then the snow and march right back inside like helllllll no I am not going out there, lol.) NO WAY am I saying to let your dogs EVER go that long, I was home and with him the whole time. I am just saying that when pups are healthy, they will not die if they go for 8-10 hours without the bathroom while being inside, crate or no crate.

For anxiety, I know a LOT of people (WHO WERE SKEPTICAL) who have had success with this:
Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

Costs a lot (if you hate it or it does not work they will 100% refund your money) but could be worth the money if it helps your pup when you are gone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i live in an apartment and when i worked nights i resorted to a bark collar and it worked miraculously. after one week it wasn't need anymore. The one i bought had a safety mechanism which shut itself off if the dog went haywire and wouldn't stop barking. also it didn't deliver a painful shock at first but progressively got stronger but she got the idea, and stopped.

I was worried that it would be painful so before putting it on her i used it on myself. If you rub it along a table surface or something like that it triggers it and if you act quick enough you can feel it. If its your last resort give it a shot and odds are it will only be temporary

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
It would have to deliver something unpleasant for the behavior to decease in such a fashion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
it defiantly startled her its hard to explain. its defiantly something that you don't want to feel over and over. but to say painful i think is a stretch. maybe a sting, you could always try the once that spray the citrus or something I'm just explaining my experience with it and would recommend it for a person frustrated with dog un necessary barking. i haven't seen any ill effects.

the one downside that i don't like is she doesn't bark when people knock on the door. there have been a bunch of robberies around my neighborhood lately, but my chow lab mix is a very good guard dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ames!!! Thank you so much for the thundershirt tip!!!! I had no idea it could be used for separation anxiety...totally like the idea behind this and it is less expensive than the devices i've found so if it doesn't work no biggie...i also have 45 to return too Thank you! Thank you!

mypitgia
Could you give me the name of the name of the collar you have? there are so many out there...you got vibration collar right and not a shock collar...

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Ames!!! Thank you so much for the thundershirt tip!!!! I had no idea it could be used for separation anxiety...totally like the idea behind this and it is less expensive than the devices i've found so if it doesn't work no biggie...i also have 45 to return too Thank you! Thank you!
no problem! I hope it helps you pup (and your neighbors, lol)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts