Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our year and a half spayed rescue dog, joss, has progressively gotten worse about barking at noises. Every time the neighbor opens their door or someone pulls up she goes crazy! Also, she has been getting worse about barking at people an dogs. She is very sweet but sounds mean when she barks like that and people just run to the other side of the street when we walk. ImageUploadedByPG Free1352764248.272750.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
My dog progressively got worse over the years. I had tried a few things. One was taking a clean soda can and putting in like some nickels, dimes, a quarter and pennies and taping it and when he goes to bark I shake the can and he stops barking. he hardly ever barks in the house now.

But he used to lunge and pull at the dogs across the street form me, not really a barker cause he is more focused on killing them. I started walking my dog 3 miles int he morning and 3 miles at night. A proper, I am in charge walk, not like I used to which was let him lead and go whatever direction he wanted. Its a structured walk and the purpose is to get him to look and focus and watch me. Since I have been doing this, my boy has a bad day every now and then, but now doesn't even raise his head when the mail man comes up the porch. THAT is huge. and seriously all I did was structured walks for an hour before breakfast and dinner to let him know and have confidence in himself that I wont let anything happen to him and he can stay and relax and I wont let anything get him. Try it for a few weeks, I guarantee his inside barking will subside and it will help you motivate to continue. Proper handwalking with the pup besides or behind you only. NEVER leading and only going the bathroom when YOU allow not stopping every few feet to mark...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our year and a half spayed rescue dog, joss, has progressively gotten worse about barking at noises. Every time the neighbor opens their door or someone pulls up she goes crazy! Also, she has been getting worse about barking at people an dogs. She is very sweet but sounds mean when she barks like that and people just run to the other side of the street when we walk. View attachment 13272

Pittys for all their bravado, are scardy dogs, and use their fax aggressiveness to warn others qhat tough dogs they ate, and best not challenge them, reality is they are intimadated, and the bravado hides their true feelings, 'please do not attack me, ....' when these dogs bark at noises, cars, people walking, they are unsure,and frightened. I have a female AmStaff that is the bravest most confidant dog ever. In the day time. At night however, she would startle and fly into a barking fit, and run to the door wanting out. But qhen I did, she would turn, and hide behind my legs, and peer out....So, we spent a month or more of evenings in the front yard, and comforted and reassured each frantic outburst. Those sounds and moving objects during the day did not concern her as she played and inspected everything that caught her eye. At night, those same sounds were disembodied and the moving vwhicles and passersby became terrifying unrecognizable shapes each one stalking her ready to eat her up. So our evenings went something like this: Bark! BarkBark!!! Oh that? Thats nothing to worry about, see?,you are safe, I'm here. Thanks for showing me that, but you won't be harmed....Someone walking past the yard brought out menacing growls and more frantic barking. I would walk,her to the fence, and ask them to speak softly to my dog to reassure her.I told them her name, and asked they stop and say a few words when she reacted, but to never tease her behind the fence, or show aggressiveness at her. The first week, I had to drag her to the fence, so reluctant and afraid of the unknown, soon though, when people walked past she happily ran to them, a d followed along while they walked past the place. She had a fence corner to stop her, and she would watch them then run to me all happy and wiggly. A few told me they would not have anything to do with get and to get away. I told them they would be better served to say her name, and be pleasant, rather than to meet her outside the fence one day, and get challenged. Everyone I spoke to agreed, and I would hear,'Hqmello Missy! How are things? You going to be here when I return from the store? OK, see you then!' Within three months, she greeted those who spoke, and ignored those who ignored her. And NO one ever tried to rile her up. Calm reassurances patience, and praise, replaced excited reaction and frantic barking with a tail wagging dog happy to say hello to whoever walked by. She still has fear of loud reports like gun fire, and unfortunately, they do not occur often, but when it does, she runs to a dark corner, tries to meld onto the wall, and vibrates. I sit and place my hand on her without saying a word, and she will cautiously look at me, and lick me and snuggle, then she is good to go! Never yell at, threaten, or punish a dog for unwanted barking. Our pet canines look up to us and want our direction, so when they bark, and we yell, they think we are wanting them to 'bark' like us. So they bark more, hoping to do so correctly, and get praise from us. To become frustrated, and loom large, hands turned to fists, and demanding silence, or else, the dog thinks we expect them to act tough and mean, so they do that while barking. This concerns the owner, the dog I dog escalating now...so frustration becomes anger, and not only does the dog get yelled at and threatened, but they will poke the dog qith each word said to emphisize the importance of obeying. The dog is surprised and a little scared, but if his human expects him to barkaggressively, and rush the fence, poking him tonight must mean he is supposed to try to attack. The owner freaks out as his dog still disobwys but now, he wants blood! The dog is now tied so he cannot reach the fence, but he still barks, and no matter what he does to get the dog to STFU, that damn animal still barks! So he marches out to his barking dog, now tied up, and after yelling and threatening the dog, he is so worked up that he draws back and slugs his dog HARD!As he stomps back to the house he is confidant the dog will not bark again. But the barking continues. The human is furious, and does not notice the bark had changed some. Before when the dog barked, it was to warn his human, and tell others he was on sentry. Now when the dog barks, he is barking, Please! Do not walk near my house! Everytime anyone does, my owner comes out and beats me! Our dogs rarely misbehave.,what they do is, they do not meet our expectations of them, and we often expect too much from them, and many behavior issues arise from the dog not understanding what the hell we want. And rather than to try to insure the dog has a clue, we say the dog is challenging us, and the cycle begins. They are not stupid, they are ignorant. They know nothing, and learn everything they know from their owner. You make the dog you get. And you get the dog you make. Instead of demanding instant recall, and showing the dog how aggressive you can get, try to understand why they do what they do, be patient, if they misunderstand what we expect, they have difficulty telling us what and why. They are not 'behaving.' No one has ever owned a dog that turned on them and was difficult to control by showering the dog with love, care, andpatience. You can not 'spoil' achild, lover or your dog by being nice to them and slow to anger. People and dogs become spoiled after abusive treatments, constantly being told they are bad, they can't, they are stupid....That news story about the pitt bull that attacked and bit their owner 'for no reason,' had areason. A good one. This breed has a strong sense of self respect, a very high pain threshold, and are intelligent enough to know and u dwrstand when they are being mis treated. Because they are strong and compact, coupled with their relentless drive, and refusal to give up, and the determination to win, or die trying, they are loyal, and are born with the most naturally proactive instinct of most other dog breeds, and they have a goofy sense of playing and would rather play than do most anything else, they are best suited to those owners who have experience in understanding the canine social structure, and hierarchy, and how to lead and motivate a dog, rather than to lead by demanding obediance through intimidation. Anyone who believes pittys are a difficult to train hard headed aggressive breed, get a Catahoula puppy from a line of still working pig hunters. Pit bulls are cream puffs compared to them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
She is very sweet but sounds mean when she barks like that and people just run to the other side of the street when we walk.

Sounds like she is very successful in her efforts. she barks and people run away. this will definitely reinforce the behavior.
Train her to do something besides bark that will earn her a treat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like she is very successful in her efforts. she barks and people run away. this will definitely reinforce the behavior.
Train her to do something besides bark that will earn her a treat.
I'm sorry, but I do not understand your response. How is this relevant to my reply?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I quoted Sarahray - why would you think my post had anything to do with your response?
I did not quote or reply to you.
I was/am having difficulty navigating this site. My email alerted to me that you had replied to my response. Checking the way the thread progressed, you replied directly under my post, so I assumed....not wanting to ignore, I leapt, this time I fell short. Mea culpa

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was/am having difficulty navigating this site. My email alerted to me that you had replied to my response. Checking the way the thread progressed, you replied directly under my post, so I assumed....not wanting to ignore, I leapt, this time I fell short. Mea culpa
interesting, maybe its a site bug? There is a follow button in the upper right on the top of the page, usually clicking follow thread will alert you to all replies.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Keep in mind that you are both replying and advising a person who hasn't been here in many years on a 9 year old thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts