Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
can you describe what kind of barking? Is it when he is trying to get your attention? Or all the time When you are not home, like neighbors complaining? When they are in the crate and want to get your attention? When there are strangers around outside their door and they bark? Just some more information if you can. How old is your pup also?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isis is 1 year old. I would like to stop the barking. She barks at people walking by if she is in the front yard.like aggressive barking,I think. she barks,like for attention to come in if she is on her chain out the back door. she is good in the house. I just want to work on the barking the right way.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Alot of times It's almost impossible to stop barking. I mean after all, They're dogs.
I had a Dachshund mix that NEVER stopped barking. All it took was a neighbor or a dog to take a step out on their porch and she would go into a barking frenzy. We tried everything to stop it, but nothing really worked. Sometimes that's just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Dogs do bark for a variety of reasons. I, personally, would put an end to her access to the front yard barrier frustration bark at people. No one wants a Pit Bull barking 'aggressively' at them as they walk by. It looks bad and is setting you up for failure if she ever gets loose in the future.
If she is out in front, she should be with you, preferably on a lead and you should call her to you and treat her anytime someone approaches. People approaching should mean good things. Dogs that bark at the front fence are annoying, but it's natural for them to do that. You need to reshape the behavior and it will be a LOT easier while she is young

·
Registered
85 Posts
You don't want to teach your dog to never bark. However, what you DO want to do is to teach your dog to stop barking, by teaching her "Quiet" or "Hush"

You can do this by creating a scenario in which she would bark, (have a friend ring the door bell, walk by the house knock on the door...whatever works) Allow your dog to bark for a moment, give the command word (quiet or hush, or whichever works for you) the instant she is quiet (this has to be on the dot) you give her a treat, and give the good girl cue or whatever you choose to do (Personally, I say Good boy! or girl)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts