·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bastrop, LA: BSL may be introduced
Posted on February 15, 2009 by stopbslcom
Next city council meeting
March 12, 6:00 PM
City Hall Courtroom, 1st Floor, 202 East Jefferson Avenue, Bastrop, Louisiana 71220

Please keep correspondence polite, informative, and respectful! Nothing has been officially proposed; the city is weighing its options. Help them make the right choice for the safety of their citizens and the humane treatment of their pets.

Contact information for city of Bastrop
City Clerk, Sandra Goleman, [email protected]
Assistant City Clerk, Patrice Smith, [email protected]
City Clerk, City of Bastrop, P.O. Box 431, Bastrop, Louisiana 71221-0431
Telephone: 318-283-0250

Mayor Clarence W. Hawkins
P.O. Box 431, Bastrop, Louisiana 71221
Office Phone: (318) 283-3301
Fax Number: (318) 281-5783
E-mail: [email protected]

COUNCIL MEETINGS
Council meetings convene the second Thursday night each month at 6:00 p.m. in the City Hall Courtroom on the first floor and can be viewed live on Channel 7 on Suddenlink Cable. Webcasts of meetings can be viewed within 48-72 hours of regularly scheduled meetings online at Bastrop TV.

City Council adds $10 to city court costs - Bastrop, LA - Bastrop Daily Enterprise

City Council adds $10 to city court costs
By Bonnie Bolden
Bastrop Daily Enterprise
Fri Feb 13, 2009, 06:00 AM CST
[Irrelevant text elided]

The city is also investigating adopting an ordinance that will help track and limit vicious dogs. According to J.I. Manley and Dorothy Manley their pet Chihuahua Gus, who had been with them for 10 years, was dismembered and killed in front of them when a neighbor's pit bull escaped its yard.

"This pit bull came over the fence and like a streak of lightning and just demolished him," Dorothy Manley said.

"We finally got him off after he tore him all to pieces," J.I. continued.

Mr. and Mrs. Manley asked the jury to ban pit bulls from the city; the mayor said breed-specific legislation may not work.

Lawrence said he found a tested ordinance that sets a standard for a "dangerous dog" that may include but is not limited to breed. The ordinance's definition includes behavior issues and may be retroactive from a biting incident. The city's current definition, he said, requires a dog to bit a human or other animal before being considered dangerous and in need of containment.

The proposed ordinance would require owners to register a dangerous dog and keep insurance against losses caused by the dog.

Mr. and Mrs. Manley said their neighbor moved the both of the dogs that lived there immediately following the incident. Hawkins told Jessie Walker, interim police chief, to verify the location of the dogs and inform the owner of the dog that attacked status as a vicious dog and the need to contain it. Even is the dog is housed outside the city, Hawkins said, the parish needs to know its location.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!! i'm emailing!
has anyone heard on abbieville? was the ban passed? i sure hope not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts