Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two (5 months) is an outside dog. We bring him and Diesel in for a few hours on the weekend, so they can enjoy the air conditioning and some chill time with us. I seem to bathe him at that time, maybe let it slide and do it every other week. We're in Ga, so it's hot. The porch has a fan that stays on, but they go lay in the sun for hours per day and obviously play. Needless to say, he smells strongly of "dog" in between baths. He gets fed Blue, sometimes a raw egg in the food, and bathed with blue dawn, and his coat is slick and shiny. He shows no sign of being itchy or uncomfortable, so is bathing this often a bad thing?

Did some searching and didn't find a situation comparible, so I'm just looking for some input! Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Only bathe dogs in dawn dish soap when you have to remove oil based gunk or they get an allergy is it not ok to use it as a shampoo. Even people shampoo is too strong for dogs, it strips out all the oils in the coat. Dogs need the oil to keep the skin from getting dry so they are made different than people shampoo. Yes once a week is too much try just using a baby wipe in between baths to get some dirt out but if they spend all day in outside they can get a little doggy. SOme dogs smell more than others just depending on body chemistry so if they are real bad you can try giving one gelcap of chlorophyll once to twice a day for body odor. It's a natural body deodorizer. Get a good dog shampoo even a grooming spray and bathe no more than twice a month if you can help it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only bathe dogs in dawn dish soap when you have to remove oil based gunk or they get an allergy is it not ok to use it as a shampoo. Even people shampoo is too strong for dogs, it strips out all the oils in the coat. Dogs need the oil to keep the skin from getting dry so they are made different than people shampoo. Yes once a week is too much try just using a baby wipe in between baths to get some dirt out but if they spend all day in outside they can get a little doggy. SOme dogs smell more than others just depending on body chemistry so if they are real bad you can try giving one gelcap of chlorophyll once to twice a day for body odor. It's a natural body deodorizer. Get a good dog shampoo even a grooming spray and bathe no more than twice a month if you can help it.
I was definitely unsure, but this sounds like exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much! :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya I was going to say baby wipes and grooming spray as well, might help a bit. I agree once a week is way to much you will do more harm then good. When you do bathe them though you can try and find a shampoo that has citrus and mint in it or just add some mint to whatever you use . We use that on the stinky dogs at work and it seems to really help we have had good feedback from some of the owners with that mixture.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I was going to say baby wipes and grooming spray as well, might help a bit. I agree once a week is way to much you will do more harm then good. When you do bathe them though you can try and find a shampoo that has citrus and mint in it or just add some mint to whatever you use . We use that on the stinky dogs at work and it seems to really help we have had good feedback from some of the owners with that mixture.
That sounds like a great idea!

When you say "add mint", do you just mean like mint oil? I can think of a few different ways to add a mint smell, but I won't experiment :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I just have shampoos that are mint, but im sure even adding the extract would work ok as well. Just had a husky last night that was RANK , seemed to work well with her she smelled great when she left me , will see next week when she comes back in if she still smells amazing LOL..... 4 hours on this dog and she still has to return for more dematting cause they wont let us shave her down, I don't get people with those kinds of dogs who don't brush on the regular. LAME.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts