Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my female red-nose for a year and a half and have had little to no problems with her going to the bathroom in the house, about two weeks ago, however, she began having "accidents" and it has continued ever since, i put her out to the bathroom before bed and wake up to a mess, and now there is always at leats two messes when i come home from work, dinner, every morning, etc... does anyone have any advice as to what i can do to stop this? i've begun putting her out during the day in my fenced in yard but as it gets colder, thats not going to be a solution to the problem. If anyone has any advice it would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Is it pee or poo? If it is pee, this could indicate a UTI, and a trip to the vets will get you some meds, and clear it up quickly. If it is poo, it could be something similar, just involving the digestive organs. Does everything look and smell normal? Soft poo or stinky pee can mean there's a medical issue. If it has been happening for 2 weeks, I would take her to the vet. Often if the cause is behavioral, putting her in a crate will curb the behavior as most dogs naturally will not soil their immediate area. The crate should only be large enough for the dog to sit, stand, turn around and lie down, if they can soil one side and sleep in the other it will not help the behavior. Once the behavior stops, you can try weaning her off of being in the crate, like start by letting her out when you will be gone for a short time, and work your way up. I would go to the vet first though, and rule out a med issue. If she is sick, then she will still soil her crate and have to lay in it until you get home, or wake up, which could make the issue worse. Forcing a dog to lie in pee or feces can desensitize them to it, and create a dirty dog. Some dogs are like this naturally, but many dirty dogs are from pet shops, where they just go in their kennel and get used to it, you do not want a dirty dog, it is one of the most difficult behaviors to break IMO, so vet first, and then crate if the vet finds nothing wrong.

·
Registered
299 Posts
:goodpost: That is perfect advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, it never crossed my mind that it may be a med problem, when she poos it looks normal but she does seem to be going a lot. And i do let her out VERY often such as morning, noon, all afternoon, and multiple times at night so its not that she just cant hold it. Looks like shes going to get a check up...

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Great advice and glad your taking it ... we have to think for them sometimes as they can't tell us whats wrong ... hope all checks out ok and the problem can be solved for her and you ... crating is not a bad thing to do regardless as they should never be left alone loose where they can decide to get into things they have no business doing ... they get bored and very creative in entertaining themselves no matter what age sometimes ...
Wishing you much luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. This morning was better, no mess, i made sure she went more than once before bed and headed straight for the door when i woke up, she still seems to be going a lot more than usual so she still going to the vet, but today has been accident free so far...:)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Waht are you feeding her? Have you change anything in your feeding schedule? A dog should only poo twice a day. When you take her to the vet talk to them about this and see what they have to say. Also is the stool loose really dark or putty in color these things could indicate medical problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts