Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any schools to become a dog trainer or for dog psychology to learn about dog behavioral issues thank you all

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
The thing about many collages for dog training is they are worthless. You cannot learn about dog behavior in a 6 -8 week course. The best path is to mentor under a trainer and learn from hands on. There are some dog behavior courses and seminars that can be helpful but hands on experience is priceless. 99% of the best trainers out there have no accreditations other than experience and accomplishments. Then you have all the half fast so called trainers who went to a 6 week college and have fancy "degrees" that are worthless.

Do you have some good training centers where you're at? I would start there and see if you can apprentice.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The thing about many collages for dog training is they are worthless. You cannot learn about dog behavior in a 6 -8 week course. The best path is to mentor under a trainer and learn from hands on. There are some dog behavior courses and seminars that can be helpful but hands on experience is priceless. 99% of the best trainers out there have no accreditations other than experience and accomplishments. Then you have all the half fast so called trainers who went to a 6 week college and have fancy "degrees" that are worthless.

Do you have some good training centers where you're at? I would start there and see if you can apprentice.
Bingo! :goodpost:

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
The trainers at the training club I took Helena too were all volunteers. And they said most of them started out just being students in the classes and volunteering to help out.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts

Pretty much that. ;)

Considering people like Brad Pattison has a school to certify dog trainers, you may not even go to one who knows what they're doing.

My advice would be to go to different trainers, be an assistant, apprentice, etc. And always keep an open mind, be willing to change a technique you liked if you found out it is harmful to the dog's mentality. Being open minded is very important, you'll learn new things every day.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Untrue>>>>nuff said

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Untrue? you think you can learn about being a dog trainer by going to a 6 week course and getting a piece of paper that says you can train? I wish you would elaborate your thoughts a bit, debate is always good every one has their opinion but a small comment like that says nothing. They also have courses online where they teach you to be a dog trainer, you think you can learn by never having hands on experience?
You call yourself a dog trainer so how did you start? Did you get a paper that says you're a "certified dog trainer" and that's why you disagree? Now I'm curious......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts