Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know its been a very long time since I have been on here....but life tends to pull you away from things you enjoy, some of you may remember me some not....any how...

So I still have my beloved Jayda and she is doing wonderful (for those who remember) but I have come here because this is the only place I know to turn to...

On February 1st I adopted a Great Dane mix pup... I have no idea what he is mixed with so I am hoping you guys might have a guess....the problem is...he has become very temperamental, he is stubborn, and hate to say it but just seems DUMB, I cant get him to behave...when I get on to him for pottying in the floor he growls and snaps at me. at this age Jayda's vocabulary was vast and her behavior of a seeing eye dog, I know its not because i do not know how to train every animal I have ever had has been well behaved... My patience is running thin, tonight we had a talk of whether to take him back to the pound or not.....feedback plEAse. :confused:

This is Kade....

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey guys, I know its been a very long time since I have been on here....but life tends to pull you away from things you enjoy, some of you may remember me some not....any how...

So I still have my beloved Jayda and she is doing wonderful (for those who remember) but I have come here because this is the only place I know to turn to...

On February 1st I adopted a Great Dane mix pup... I have no idea what he is mixed with so I am hoping you guys might have a guess....the problem is...he has become very temperamental, he is stubborn, and hate to say it but just seems DUMB, I cant get him to behave...when I get on to him for pottying in the floor he growls and snaps at me. at this age Jayda's vocabulary was vast and her behavior of a seeing eye dog, I know its not because i do not know how to train every animal I have ever had has been well behaved... My patience is running thin, tonight we had a talk of whether to take him back to the pound or not.....feedback plEAse. :confused:

This is Kade....

just sounds to me like he doesnt see you as dominant .. if he thinks hes the king , he does what he wants

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

This is Kade....

Hi there! Adorable pup :). First, how old is he? Didn't the shelter do any testing on his temperment before releasing him to an adopter? Have you contacted the shelter and spoke to the director about your issue with him? Sorry for all the questions...just trying to get some more info on him. Also, I guess bringing him back to the shelter depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into him. If your patience is wearing thin than it almost sounds as if you have given up on him. What about consulting a trainer? Also, he looks like maybe dane and boxer? He has a short muzzle maybe possible pit?? Your guess is good as mine :)

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
First dont expect that mix to act like your pitbull did at that age. they are completely different in temperment and willingness to cooperate. I learned the hard way, Im used to pitbulls and their quirks but then add size, strength, stuborness{sp} and willing to make their own decisions and you have a handfull. PK Lisa will chime in here im sure she has some magic for you to try on him. she fixed me up with Bobs crazy stuff!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First dont expect that mix to act like your pitbull did at that age. they are completely different in temperment and willingness to cooperate. I learned the hard way, Im used to pitbulls and their quirks but then add size, strength, stuborness{sp} and willing to make their own decisions and you have a handfull. PK Lisa will chime in here im sure she has some magic for you to try on him. she fixed me up with Bobs crazy stuff!!!
Yeah Lisa is great. I am trying not to give up...and the pup just seems to have no fear. He is 10 weeks today...the pound didn't do tests on him. He was very loveable when we first got him...and it just seems as though every day is getting worse. I can't get him to stop urinating in the house. He drags out and chews EVERYTHING... We leave nothing out and keep all doors shut so that he can't get into anything. I don't know...this is the first different breed I have had in about 7 years. I guess my expectations are to high...

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
make him earn the right to roam free and correct all bad behavior, even if it means having him on a long line with a slip collar while not in his crate
Dont baby him. The best advice I ever got was " Hes not your f****ing friend, hes your dog". lol! Thats what turned it all around for Bob.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It is a dominance issue and he is going to be different than Jayda. It sounds like Jayda was content to be submissive and this dog wants to be alpha. You cannot let him get away with that behavior. Put him on leash and have his around you if he growls and snaps you need to alpha roll him and make it clear you are in charge. He will get made at you but you hold him down till he submits and stops then calmly you can let him up and softly praise him. This is fixable you just need to work on it and NEVER let him get away with that.... EVER. There is nothing wrong with him it is just a dominate pup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't post much..I mostly lurk but had to post on this one. My little dog I have was just like that as a pup. He would get aggressive when I corrected him etc.. You need to nip this in the bud NOW. Hes' 14 years old now and he is very aggressive towards others. He will not hesitate to bite anyone who doesn't bow to him. He won't go after me anymore because I nipped it towards me but never worked on it towards others. Please work on him before he gets grown up and too big to really correct and you can't handle him. And before he decides biting and aggression is ok. I made the mistake of not researching and working with mine and he's been a monster. He's tried to bite many people. Fix this problem before it escalates and he grows up to be too much to handle. Everyone has given great advice.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I don't post much..I mostly lurk but had to post on this one. My little dog I have was just like that as a pup. He would get aggressive when I corrected him etc.. You need to nip this in the bud NOW. Hes' 14 years old now and he is very aggressive towards others. He will not hesitate to bite anyone who doesn't bow to him. He won't go after me anymore because I nipped it towards me but never worked on it towards others. Please work on him before he gets grown up and too big to really correct and you can't handle him. And before he decides biting and aggression is ok. I made the mistake of not researching and working with mine and he's been a monster. He's tried to bite many people. Fix this problem before it escalates and he grows up to be too much to handle. Everyone has given great advice.
This is a different problem, it sounds like you dog is more HA instead of just dominant. You can have a super dominate dog and it can also be Human aggressive, then you have a super dominate dog but is not human aggressive. If you dog is HA and willing to bite others it has very little to do with dominance and more with poor temperament. I don't want to op to be worried about HA with her pup it sounds like more dominance than anything else. I just wanted to make it clear that is two different situations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts