Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
My name's Eddy and I used to own a pit until cancer/tumors took him from me.
When I got Lucky, I had absolutely ZERO experience with this breed. I got him from an acquaintance's friend because I knew his future would be grim in their hands.
Once he was home, I spend every free second of my time reading on the breed and how to give him the most amazing life I could. And I'd like to think I did that.
For 9 years, this boy taught me what unconditional love, loyalty and respect was. Not once was he considered a "dog" by myself or my family but rather one of us. As that statement would suggest that he was spoiled and swirly, it couldn't be further from the truth, he never once stepped out of line or acted in any sort of unpredictable manner.
I own and operate my own restaurant, and am also a paramedic, loss and heartache is part of my every day duties but nothing I have been through could prepare me for losing him.
When he started to deteriorate, I took him to every vet, even consulted ones out of the country but his time was up.
I have learned to grow thick skin and detach myself from sad situations as I see people's loved ones, mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters die every day, but I have never cried so hard and long in my life as I did that day looking in his eyes as he quietly went to sleep.
His departure was 5/25/2010 846am. Not a single moment goes by that I don't think of him.
And its rather hard to believe that almost a year later I still grieve for him. I would love to get another pit but in my head it feels like I would be betraying him by replacing him.

I thought I would share this with you all cus not everyone understands how this breed touches you and changes your life, and I know from the love and respect towards this breed that you guys show on this site, you would understand.
Thank you for having me and sorry for the long rant. Would love to talk to each and all of you in the future.

·
Super Moderator
4,652 Posts
Welcome to GP.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry for your loss.I wouldn't look at it like you're trying to replace him.You could never replace the feelings you had for him.Your new dog would be their own individual self that would bring out new different feelings,not over ride your feelings and love for Lucky.At least that's how I look at it.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome to GP! Glad to have you :) I am sorry about your boy......I still cry once in awhile when I come across old pics of a shepherd husky mix I used to have. It is hard and I totally understand. In honor of your boy you should go to a local shelter in your area and save ones life. There are so many pits that get put to sleep everyday and maybe by you saving ones life it will make you feel better :) just a suggestion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!
Maybe me spilling my beans on it is the Acceptance stage. I will most definitely get another one, and it will absolutely be from a shelter. In my area there is no reputable breeders and I would much rather burn the money than support that, even if there was, a life saved is more valuable than one bought, just my opinion.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi and welcome :) I don't think by getting another dog would be replacing your dog but it could help with the grief process though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts