Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my husband's family all live pretty close around each other and yesterday his cousin's little girl came over to the house while i was feeding and asked if she could see the dogs. well of course i told her yes and let her pet each of them. then out of nowhere she says,"arent you afraid they are goin to turn on you and bite you?" if a grown person had've sid this to me it wouldnt have bothered me a bit, but when an 8 year old says it then you know that just what shes been taught.. i dont know why its bothered me so bad but ive been thinking about it all night :-/

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Aw Circle.....Don't let it get to you to much. It ain't worth it! Obviously it is all in what you teach your kids and unfortunately it is your own family that I am assuming that are bad talking the breed. But then again if the family had a problem with the dogs then why did they even let the little girl go with you? Is it something that the 8 year old girl just thought of herself or was that thought put there by her mom or dad? Hmmmm, 8 year olds are pretty observant and can be pretty smart....at least some of the things my daughter says to me blow me away and she just turned 9. What did you say to her after she said that? How did you handle it?

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
her grandma has custody of her & I'm sure she told her that (even though they have like 10 little dogs that will attack anything that comes near them) I told her she couldn't listen to her. Idk why it bothered me so bad... Mayb just emotional yesterday..lol

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
(((HUGS))) Just sit her down and tell her the truth about the breed in a way a child can understand and relate to. My daughter came home one day from school upset because one kid at school told her that pitbull's were mean I guess she told her friends she had a pitbull and a kid at school made a remark to that effect now my kid is future JR handler so she let the kid know the deal about the breed LOL but she was still hurt by his remark. Don't let it eat you up kids are like sponges they only know what they have been told or what they have heard through others. It's good she got to interact with your dog's so she can see the extra loving side of these dogs that we all side.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks :) idk why it bothered me so bad... normally it doesnt bother me

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
ah yes, the vicious cycle continues. If you grow up thinking apbt's are evil maneaters that will bite anything that moves than more than likely, you will continue to do so in adult hood.

You can attempt to tell her the truth but in all honesty, if she went home and told her grandmother this she will probably brainwash her with more garbage and the end result would probably be no change. Of course, its always worth a shot. Does she come over often?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I have heard this from young children as well and I hate to see they have had that thought put into their heads so young.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know how you feel. I was walking one of my dogs last summer in a wooded park that allows leashed dogs. Well, in the distance I spotted a family and their 6-7month Golden Retriever puppy. One of the kids, a girl about 9 years old came suddenly running up to me and asked "is that a pitbull?" And I answered, "Yes and she loves everyone." Then the girl said that her dog doesn't like pitbulls and she ran back towards her parents yelling, "Yes mom its a pitbull!"
The family then turned around and walked the other direction. I was so upset. I wish I could have had the chance to actually speak with the parents or at least shed some light on the true nature of pitbulls to the little girl, but I didn't get the chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts