Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, before I call the vet I am looking for some input and may not have to go to the vet. I think my dogs anal glands are bothering her because I seen her scoot across the yard on her bottom the other day, no big deal. What is a bigger issue is when she was crated while I was at work she licked her butt (her actual B.hole, not the cheeks) so much it looks kind of raw almost like a diaper rash. My question is can I put A&D ointment or similar product on that or should I just have the vet check it out. Her anal glands don't seem to be a huge issue. I've only seen her scoot a few times. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
no point putting things on it if you dont fix the problem. Id go have her anal glands expressed either at the vet or some groomers do it { unless you know how }. Then deal with the irritation if needed. If you put something on now and its still buggin him he will just lick it off.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
no point putting things on it if you dont fix the problem. Id go have her anal glands expressed either at the vet or some groomers do it { unless you know how }. Then deal with the irritation if needed. If you put something on now and its still buggin him he will just lick it off.
Yep! Good post!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved! I just went ahead and made an appointment today and had it taken care of. The glands were full, but she has not scooted or licked since she had them taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
so in regards to this not all dogs need it expressed since its supposed to occur naturally if you DO get it expressed with human help, does that mean that the pup stop's expressing on their own and you will forever have to do it when it fills back up? Or could expressing it one time fix the issue and get them back to naturally doing it?

not trying to thread jack OP, just thought of that after reading

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Some dogs seem to need help expressing them, some dogs never do. I don't think there is actually a correlation between expressing them once and the dog not being able to do it themselves because of it.
If you have dogs who are prone to incomplete natural expression, you can try adding some fiber (like canned pumpkin) or anything that will kind of 'bulk' up the stool.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Some dogs seem to need help expressing them, some dogs never do. I don't think there is actually a correlation between expressing them once and the dog not being able to do it themselves because of it.
cool, thanks just curious :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts