Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun and something to do.

Amazon has a bunch of books and I'm not sure which one to buy - anyone have any suggestions; or any links to beginner, fun exercises we can try?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
lots of pitties use their nose well. :)

I have heard of Noseworks too, scent detection. I think they start with birch scent and food.........i know my girl would track food all day, she loves food. :)

also know of a trainer in my area whose pitty cross went on to be a bomb detecting dog.

·
Registered
776 Posts
you best bet is to find a club . I have done some tracking with my dogs with our club and yeah the apbt do fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's amazing what their noses could do. My pup loves to play "get me the right toy from underneath the cabinet". I drag socks, crumbs, etc. from underneath a armoire. She rejects everything until I get that one thing she wanted all along, sometimes a bone, a ball, a tiny plastic top. It's crazy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
341 Posts
mi16reisen, sounds like your pup is training you well!

I know when my Pearl finds a crumbly under something and i cannot see it, I know I must keep looking cause she will not let it go until i find her that crumbly. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pit bulls make excellent detection dogs. There was a pit bull working for the LAPD several years back and there's Popsicle, one that works/ed (?) in Texas I believe. It's not so much the physicality of a breed that makes a good search dog. Actually I take that back, only dogs with underbites (brachialic? I think that's the term?) like English bulldogs and pugs are probably the only types that would have trouble.

The people I consider knowledgable in working dogs all agree it's not the breed at all, but their drive and mental state. Pit bulls typically have high working drives (due to the breed's purpose and exclusion from the "show dog" world in ways), so in sport or real work they tend to excel. We see all sorts of examples like this in the bully breed history.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts