Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new and I have seven month old Rottweiler mixed with Pit-bull that happen to whines all the time. Also after a being exercised we cannot leave her alone because she will chew up on the couch. We have taken her to some training classes where they would help us but it didn’t work. We have tried stuff like bitter apple spray but she loves it. We also baby sit a friends dog on the weekends to comfort her. She will not whine just chew on the couch to destroy it. She also will not sleep through the whole night always waking up at 4am and then starts barking for us to take her out for a walk; it’s kind of hard to ignore when her bark will wake up our neighbors, so I go to let her out even though I know I am suppose to wait until she has calm down. Giving her away is not an option she is family but I just want to fix these problems please can someone help.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
for the chewing on the couch , I would really think about crate training her it will save you alot of money in the long run as well as protect her from getting into anything dangerous when you arent around or cant watch her. she probably will whine when locked up at 1st but honestly putting up with it a bit now will save you headaches in the future. she is getting her way by the sounds of it anytime she barks or whines you give in, so why would she want to change? use the search buton atthe top there are some good posts on crate training. A thing you can try that worked for us { I just learned this trick a while ago and it worked wonders on our whinny dog} a squirt bottle with a bit of vinegar in it mixed with like 3-4 parts water any time she whines spray her , they hate this mixture { i heard lemon juice works too havent tried it yet though} and follow through with a 'NO'. as for the bathroom in the middle of the night at 7 months they should be able to hold it unless there is a health reason like bladder infection or UTI. If she is taken out for a good potty break before you go to bed she is probably doing this out of habit an again keep the squirt bottle on hand an have her crated at night. { make sure there is no health reason for this bathroom break she seems to need} , and when using a crate never make it a scary place or as punishment or they wont like it, mine love there crates and usually in theres when the doors are even open.
does she have lots of chew toys and such? when you catch her chewing on something she isnt allowed to remove the item or her from the item inforce the 'NO' and replace the item with something she can have , a bone , nylabone, kong something thats hers.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I am new and I have seven month old Rottweiler mixed with Pit-bull that happen to whines all the time. Also after a being exercised we cannot leave her alone because she will chew up on the couch. We have taken her to some training classes where they would help us but it didn't work. We have tried stuff like bitter apple spray but she loves it. We also baby sit a friends dog on the weekends to comfort her. She will not whine just chew on the couch to destroy it. She also will not sleep through the whole night always waking up at 4am and then starts barking for us to take her out for a walk; it's kind of hard to ignore when her bark will wake up our neighbors, so I go to let her out even though I know I am suppose to wait until she has calm down. Giving her away is not an option she is family but I just want to fix these problems please can someone help.
Do you have a crate for her? That is the best tool for training and preventing damaged furniture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have the crate but if i leave the room and she is alone for like 10 mins she will try to go for the couch. Last time she chewed on the couch i just went to the bathroom and she does a lot of damage in such a short amount of time. As for the bladder problem she doesn't have one she will just start barking and whining until I get up and correct her by telling her no or shhh or sometimes she keeps up until I let her out and she has her last walk at midnight since I come home from work at that time. I will try the spray bottle thank you for that.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
At this point you really need to be firm with her. If you are giving in to easy to her then she will walk all over you. I have a girl the same age as yours and I don't trust her to not get into things because she is still a puppy. She really doesn't bother anything though. I would put her in the crate when ever you can't watch her even if it's just for two minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
another option is keeping her on lesh with you all the time she out of the crate and walk her through the house with you whenever you get up to do something, make her earn her free time. anytime she makes a movement to go towards something she cant jerk the leash slightly and use "no" in a firm voice. like I said she is getting what she wants with the behaviour she is using so its gonna be hard to break. be consistent and ontop of things, if you cant watch her for 10 minutes into the crate she goes, at least until her bahaviour improves. good on you for wanting to work her through it all and not having rehoming as an issue. most of the problems our dogs have are our own fault so it should be us fixing them :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Put one of those plastic rugs with the nubs like you would use for a rolling office chair down. Nubs side up. Put it on the couch and it would not be comfortable to lay on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good suggestions with the crate training, being on leash in the house and the spray bottle. You may not even need vinagar in the water, most dogs hate being sprayed even with plain water and there's no smell or worry if it gets in their eyes.
I would say basically she needs to be under constant supervision or crated. This will probably have to go on for quite a while since she already has some well established bad habbits.
I very much agree that she needs to have limits set but don't forget to also be teaching her what she should be doing.
7 months is an age when dogs have a huge desire to chew, so try to get her really into some marrow bones, antlers, kongs, etc.
Whenever you catch her being good you want to be sure you are reinforcing that. You can also teach her some useful commands like down-stay, watch me, and go to your bed. It will take a little while for her to learn to listen to these commands all the time, but it will be well worth it to put in your work now.
Whining is an anxious expression. By teaching her commands and reinforcing correct behavior with praise and treats you will build up her self confidence and self esteem which (along with setting limits and not letting her boss you around like others have already said) is one of the best thing you can do for an anxious dog.

·
Registered
536 Posts
At this point you really need to be firm with her. If you are giving in to easy to her then she will walk all over you. I would put her in the crate when ever you can't watch her even if it's just for two minutes.
another option is keeping her on lesh with you all the time she out of the crate and walk her through the house with you whenever you get up to do something, make her earn her free time. anytime she makes a movement to go towards something she cant jerk the leash slightly and use "no" in a firm voice. like I said she is getting what she wants with the behaviour she is using so its gonna be hard to break. be consistent and ontop of things, if you cant watch her for 10 minutes into the crate she goes, at least until her bahaviour improves. good on you for wanting to work her through it all and not having rehoming as an issue. most of the problems our dogs have are our own fault so it should be us fixing them :)
You may not even need vinagar in the water, most dogs hate being sprayed even with plain water and there's no smell or worry if it gets in their eyes.
I would say basically she needs to be under constant supervision or crated. This will probably have to go on for quite a while since she already has some well established bad habbits.
I very much agree that she needs to have limits set but don't forget to also be teaching her what she should be doing.
7 months is an age when dogs have a huge desire to chew, so try to get her really into some marrow bones, antlers, kongs, etc.
Whenever you catch her being good you want to be sure you are reinforcing that. You can also teach her some useful commands like down-stay, watch me, and go to your bed. It will take a little while for her to learn to listen to these commands all the time, but it will be well worth it to put in your work now.
Whining is an anxious expression. By teaching her commands and reinforcing correct behavior with praise and treats you will build up her self confidence and self esteem which (along with setting limits and not letting her boss you around like others have already said) is one of the best thing you can do for an anxious dog.
:goodpost: x3

My suggestion would be to put the crate in your bedroom, if it's not already. When she whines in the morning, have the squirt bottle next to your bed and squirt her through the crate (only once, not multiple times, you don't want to soak her and make her hate the crate) and give her a firm "NO!" Like bangimoshi said, most dogs (especially puppies) hate being squirted with water, and that should stop the behavior pretty quickly. I did that with my boy when he would whine in the middle of the night and it only took a few days to fix the behavior. Clapping your hands when she's whining can get her attention too, a quick, loud clap followed by a firm "NO" will usually get their attention. Basically, you want to make the bad behavior she is doing be followed by something she won't like, such as a squirt or a loud noise. When you let her out of the crate, you are actually rewarding the bad behavior. It's going to be hard and you might lose a couple hours of sleep for a few days, but it will be worth it in the end.

As for the chewing on the couch thing, it's only natural for puppies to want to chew! Especially around this age. Any puppy should not be out of your sight if you want to create good habits. Make sure she is always within your sight, and as soon as she goes to chew on something she's not supposed to, correct it immediately. Whether it be keeping her on a leash and using a quick pop on the leash followed by a "no", or keep a squirt bottle on your belt loop and give her a squirt followed by a "no" as soon as she does the bad behavior. You just want to be sure that you make any bad behavior have bad consequences for her. These things don't go away with one time either... you have to stay consistent even if it takes weeks to months to break her of it, as long as you stay consistent you will have results. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you are talking her for a walk at midnight anyways the I would try allowing her to releave herself and trading the walk in for a bike ride. walking is great as a mental exercise, but is sounds like you need something that will drain your dogs energy! IF the dog is tired-out from a good run,it may make implementing some of the other ideals that you have been given easier and more affective!

·
Registered
154 Posts
How much/what kind of exercise are you giving her?
Rotties and pitbulls are super dogs and they're meant to have stamina. You should get her a doggie backpack and put bottled water on each side to make the exercise more strenuous. You should also get her a lot of chew toys and stuff it with food instead of feeding her from a bowl. It provides mental stimulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts