Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have 1 blue nose pit and a half pit and half bulldog. Got my half and half as a puppy only 6 weeks old. Got my blue nose at the animal shelter at 7 months. Now my oldest (female) is 1 1/2 yrs old and my little one (male) is 6 months. Lately my oldest has been fighting or attacking my little one. I have to mention that my little one is not so little he is as big as my blue nose and weighs more then her. But still my blue nose seems to always find away to either bite or scratch Romeo. He does bleed from his scratches or bites (not sure what they are) but they are not major wounds. Im not sure if this is normal for them to fight at times, but it does worry me. We have talked about getting rid of one but i have to say, its the hardest thing for us. My oldest one Diamond is past the puppy stage, went through training classes and listens. But in the other hand with Romeo we are all he knows since he was only 6 weeks when we got him. He is a little hard headed, stubborn, but he is very playful and hasnt learn when to behave. With him we are able to walk him without a leash and he wont leave. We have never tried that with Diamond. We are afraid that she might leave and never come back. Is this behavior normal in pits? please help!! :(

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Hi I have 1 blue nose pit and a half pit and half bulldog. Got my half and half as a puppy only 6 weeks old. Got my blue nose at the animal shelter at 7 months. Now my oldest (female) is 1 1/2 yrs old and my little one (male) is 6 months. Lately my oldest has been fighting or attacking my little one. I have to mention that my little one is not so little he is as big as my blue nose and weighs more then her. But still my blue nose seems to always find away to either bite or scratch Romeo. He does bleed from his scratches or bites (not sure what they are) but they are not major wounds. Im not sure if this is normal for them to fight at times, but it does worry me. We have talked about getting rid of one but i have to say, its the hardest thing for us. My oldest one Diamond is past the puppy stage, went through training classes and listens. But in the other hand with Romeo we are all he knows since he was only 6 weeks when we got him. He is a little hard headed, stubborn, but he is very playful and hasnt learn when to behave. With him we are able to walk him without a leash and he wont leave. We have never tried that with Diamond. We are afraid that she might leave and never come back. Is this behavior normal in pits? please help!! :(
First thing first, the pit bull breed is a dog aggressive breed so don't be shocked your older one is showing this behavior. As for the issue at hand, many people here crate and rotate their dogs. I don't being as I only have one dog but many people on here do and say that it works out very well. I would not leave them alone unsupervised at all, not even for a minute. I would look more into that and ask around on the forum. As for the leash thing, I wouldn't do it even if your dog behaves well off leash. There are alot of situations that can happen causing your dog to react a certain way and if you dont have a leash on your dog you cant control anything. Its safer for you and others and overall safer for the breed.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
i agree with Kai. crate and rotate and never leave them together unsupervised. DA is very real and can set on at any point in their lives. and i also want to point out that blue nose is exactly that a dog with a blue nose. not a type or bloodline of pit bull. and being she came from the shelter u dont know what kind of blood is in her and the mixed dog is just that a mixed dog or mutt (in a non offensive way) so with both dogs there is no typical behavior, ur just goin to have to get to know the dogs personalities. which did u get first, Diamond and then a few months later got the puppy? if so i think u rushed getting a second dog and ur first was not firmly integrated into ur family life...

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
I've brought so many arrangements of aged dogs together. It's not politically correct, yet with the results I've had, a opinion of "what if,or how dare you", they fall on my cute deaf ears.
I am alpha, my voice and my commands will get action or some firm discipline,I will strike my dogs.
I have A 10 year old pit and A 13 year old ACD. I got her when she was 3 and she went on my ACD. She got tired of extracting the 13 outta her keister. I have absolutely no issues. When she lights up around other dogs, I recognize from her signaling what her intentions are and I manage accordingly.
Some dogs she whimpers, some she hackles up, some she growls A low rumbling. Each indicator has A reaction, response from me.
I also do not take risk with them, even after 7 years, together unattended or where I or my brother are not within reasonable reach. They will NEVER BE ALONE for more than A minutes reaction time.
An aggressive pit can maim A non defensible dog in short order.
Pits are intelligible to parrying holds and exchanging. They for the most part do not panic,they may frenzy, they never panic. I've seen pits on the bottom, bleeding profusely, separated, and their tail going thinking they are on top.
The breed was built on an imperical hypothesis. It's ingrained in them to perfect their aggression directively. Meaning your pit will look for and find their opponents weakness.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You have two dogs, i don't care what breed, they are gonna scuffle. When you say that there are "scratches" but you aren't sure if they are bites i wonder why your dogs are being left together unsupervised.
Instead of getting rid of one of your dogs as an easy solution you may have to take the hard way, training and supervision.
At 1 1/2 years old your "older" dog is still a puppy, and your 6 month old is still super puppy. it will take them time to figure out who is boss. make sure to teach them to respect you as biggest boss so that when they get out of hand you can hopefully control the situation.
Having two dogs is work, especially when you put into the mix that they are "bully" breeds.
Good luck with them, and give it some time and effort before just giving up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts