Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should consult your vet first before giving any medications. The dog might not be compatible with these medications and they might have adverse effect to it.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You should consult your vet first before giving any medications. The dog might not be compatible with these medications and they might have adverse effect to it.
Or you could just follow those dosing instructions, and use it sensibly. There is no reason to call your vet for every little thing. With a bit of research and investigation you can solve a lot of your problems yourself. Consult your vet if it makes you feel more comfortable, but there are tons and tons of people who use benedryl on there dogs on a regular basis without any adverse reactions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
it's virtually impossible to be allergic to benadryl or any antihistamine. side effects should not be confused with allergic reactions. it would be like saying " i'm allergic to sleeping pills because they make me drowsy". the only thing you can be allergic to in a benadryl is the makeup of the capsule or the red dye in the tablet but very , very unlikely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my experience, it depends on the dog. One of my dogs has never needed benedryl so I don't know how much it would take. Two of them - one weighing in at a giant 45 pounds while the other is a tiny 92 - require only two benedryl capsules. However, my girl is 80 pounds and needed 4 benedryl the last time she had an allergic reaction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always keep benadryl in the house for myself and for my Big Boy...it does wonders!! Thanks for posting all the info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I give Lola 50mg of Benadryl twice a day - just started about 5 days ago. It's working an absolute charm. I'm going to try cutting her down to 1 capsule 3x a day after we're sure that she's stabilized.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have to add that a pit I previously had, was playing in my mom's garden and got his nose stung by some thing. I freaked. Mistakenly took him to the pet Dr and they charged me over $200 to shove one normal size pill of benadryl down his throat he was knocked out by the time we made home and nose returned to normal. I never knew until then that this was kosher for dogs.

http://benadrylfordogs.info/can-i-g...s-to-the-question-can-i-give-my-dog-benadryl/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the post. Is it an over the counter drug? I noticed my dog has an eye infection kind of like cherry eye.
yes, or u can use cheap contact solution (vet told will work) to rinse eye or use a warm wash cloth. I took my dog into the vet for her eye have green goo and eye was red, paid money for nothing because it went away with keeping it clean. but if it gets worse definitely take your dog to the vet. but with the Benadryl you just get your dog to take it down. and in about an hour she will be drowsy and on her way to sleep. vet also so said its 1mg/1lb so for a dog 25lbs and over they only get one 25mg pill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for providing information to help make decisions about how to use the drug with our pet! I do believe that it’s a perfectly safe medication to give a dog when used properly. But it’s always a good idea to consult with the Vet before giving the dog anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Allergies??

I was reading all the posts....When do you stop giving the Benadryl if it works so well? My 10 mo old female is chewing her paws till they bleed...and her eyes and chin seem very red and irritated. took her to the vet, they gave her a shot, then "prescribed" $258 worth of other items (bathing soaps and creams and pills etc). I said yes to the shot and the take home pills....NOTHING has worked.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
I was reading all the posts....When do you stop giving the Benadryl if it works so well? My 10 mo old female is chewing her paws till they bleed...and her eyes and chin seem very red and irritated. took her to the vet, they gave her a shot, then "prescribed" $258 worth of other items (bathing soaps and creams and pills etc). I said yes to the shot and the take home pills....NOTHING has worked.
BUMP^^^^^^
My white pit Bella has a paw reaction to Grass. Cant stop her from going Outside so I'm trying this. Any advice on length of time to give without a break or liver probs after to long of use??? If this works well i figure i'll ween her down to a Minimum does and read up on the half life of It.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I give Xena benadryl 2x a day EVERY day and don't see any end to it right now. Whenever I have tried to stop she has a major hives breakout that lasts for days and makes her miserable. A vet recently told me it's a very good long term medicine but it's only an anti-histamine, not an anti-inflammatory, so it really doesn't do anything except help soothe itching if your dog has already had a reaction to something. I guess that's when prednisone and the other prescription meds come in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting post. Your have posted all details about Benadryl for Dogs. All information is very helpful for us. You are explain each and everything e.g uses , safety for pet, side effects and doses.Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for providing information to help make decisions about how to use the drug with our pet! I do believe that it's a perfectly safe medication to give a dog when used properly. But it's always a good idea to consult with the Vet before giving the dog anything out of the ordinary.
I completely agree with you. After talking to my Vet and my sister that uses Benadryl quite a lot for her dogs, I decided to look into it. I bought a bottle of Benadryl and went onto the internet to look for the amount to give my dogs. I found a chart, which I can share is: Benadryl For Dogs | Any Dog Rescue What I did was print the page, then cut out the chart and put it onto my refrigerator. Since I have two pitbulls, both vary in weight, I have this chart to look at when I need to give them some benadryl for their anxiety, which they get often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey guys so I have a question, I give my 18 month old pit 50 mg 2x a day, in the morning and at night, ive been doing it for a few months now bc she gets really bad rashes and bumps on her back. the Benadryl completely took care of the bumps but when she goes outside she still gets rashes. idk if I should increase the dose or not bc I don't want her to get drowsy or accustomed to such a high dosage. also, for the last 3 days shes been a pain to take the pills, before id wrap them in a slice of cheese, turkey, or ham and shed gobble it up right away. I think she figured me out and I cant getr her to fall for my tricks, ive tried putting them in gunmmy bears, no luck, I tried hiding it in her hard food hoping she would just eat it unknowingly, no luck, ive been crushing up the pills and mixing it w peanut butter but shes catching on, how could I get her to like these tings? thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told the same is true for dogs, but we never found that to be an issue. We used benadryl for Chester's skin allergies and it helped him a lot. It's not like it knocked him out, or even made him sleep more that I noticed, but it did really help with the itching and the redness and https://labrescuenc.org/blog/ can help you.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts