Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night we were out with the neighbors and I had originally had bentley (5 1/2 months) outside with us but took him in for a little bit because it was cold out. About an hour later we go to get him back out of the house and he was limping and we had to carry him. He wont put any weight on his back left leg at all.

I figured to give him some rest and see where he was this morning, but today is no different.

Their is not swelling, everything feels normal, Structure matches the right leg. Im thinking that maybe he pulled or strained something going up and down the steps? It seems as if the pain is coming from his upper leg, knee, lower leg area.

What would you do in this situation? My initial thought process is to give it until tomorrow morning and take him to the vet. Due to his age I dont want to wait longer than that because I don't want something small to turn in to something that plagues him his whole life.

He's just laying around doing nothing right now. I figured we would just hang out and watch TV all day and I would keep ice on it.

Suggestions?

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
i think you got the right idea.
rest him for a day or 2 and monitor. if he doesn't improve then take him in.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Definitely put him on a lock down :) what I have done is set up a pen inside where the dog had a big bed and a little room to walk but not much. You can also keep him in a crate too! Only let him out of the crate or pen to go potty, or snuggle ;) let us know how the vet appointment goes!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
we just went through this with crush he had a bad limp after a flirt pole session. We just put him on crate rest { which he was not thrilled about} and then gave it time . It took him a good week to notice a huge change, but there were times he would act fine so we would let him out { our fault} and then he would aggrivate it again. I talked to our vet but he felt it was just a sprain and to leave it for now. He is doing much better. But I would just do crate rest, if you can locate the spot if there is swelling maybe try to ice it for a bit , crush hated the ice and would not let me. Or if no swelling you can try adding some heat or a heating pad on low might help him { supervised of course}. I understand with his age though the vet visit might just be on the safer side, sometimes it can be hard to tell if there is maybe a small fracture or something as well. Keep us posted on how he does.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's been getting lots of rest the last few days and not much change. He will let his toes touch the ground but he still hops on 3 legs.

I took off yesterday and took him to the vet just to be sure it wasnt something else. Our typical vet doctor was not in but we saw another one who said that it was just most likely a sprain. She did a lot of the same test I did and she too felt it was just something that needed a week or two of good rest to clear up. No swelling, No irregularities and you can't get a reaction from him at all when moving anything.

She did give him some meds for pain and swelling.

Above and beyond that, She gave me some revolution to treat his itching problems. So we are (needless to say) a bit excited to try this.

Thanks for all the helps and concerns. I will be sure to keep you all posted on his progress in both issues.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Awww good to hear its nothing too serious! I know it's awful keepinga pup in a crate and unable to rough house nd play but it will pay off!:) thanks for the update!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I've had similar injuries with my working dogs crate rest is just that. I would put him on crate rest for a week. That means in a crate unless outside to pee and that should be done on leash. I know it's hard because they are confined but that's the idea is to make them rest. no jumping on the couch, coming out of the crate getting excited and running, the crate and leash will give the body time to heal. After a week if the limping is gone then no playing or jumping but relaxing around the house is ok. Get some good things for him to chew on to keep him busy.

The revolution is a monthly repellent for fleas and ticks, it can help with mange but more treatment is needed if it is indeed mange.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SELAMECTIN (REVOLUTION®) - Selamectin is an ivermectin derivative recently marketed in the dog for the control of fleas, ticks, heartworm, ear mites and sarcoptic mange mites. Normal monthly use of this product should prevent a sarcoptic mange problem but to clear an actual infection studies show an extra dose is usually needed after 2 weeks for reliable results. This product is probably the best choice for Collie or Australian shepherd breeds.

I guess dependent on how used? I've read a lot of positive reviews on it.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I know vets prescribe it but it's nothing more than basically a dip for your dog. When dipping for mange you need to be consistent and frequent. Now for prevention I can understand as it will kill the mite on contact but when the mite burrows under the skin that is different and why you need to keep treating to break the cycle. But to use as a sole way of getting rid of sarcoptic mange..... that not going to cut it.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
It works for my pup. He never tested any skin scraping for mange but he always had weird shelf like things in his head and shoulders and a few vets said it was. Nit sure which though.I switched to revolution and my pups hair loss stopped, it all grew in and the "shelfs" almost disappeared. The vet said the remaining shelf is scaring and will jot go away :(

Just to clarify its is NOT for tick prevention, it's for parasites, fleas, mange, heart worm, which js why i like if all at once. but not ticks, I use a bounce dryer sheet to rub on my boy's fur before we go in tick areas and he never gets them... My vet sells a separate collar just for ticks is you want to go that route. I vaccinate for Lyme disease and just she extra precautions

·
Registered
901 Posts
My vet initially told me the same thing. Crate rest and leash potty breaks didn't work even after a month of it. If this occurs get x-rays done. Mine ended up having to have patella luxation surgery because he got to the point even toe touching wasn't done. I could touch the leg, provide ROM and he didn't react. Tough boy he was but then he just carried it upwards, we new then it was more then a strain. Surgery was done in January and he is back to his old zoomie self.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to give a quick update.

First and foremost I appreciate all of the good replies here. Even if they don't end up being my case in particular, It is always good to share knowledge for the future and one another; Which is a big part in why I frequent here much more than other boards and even sections.

He is doing really good. We finished his last dose of meds a few evenings ago. We are just now starting to let him out and move a little more freely. He's seemed depressed since being crated and constrained so much so I took off a little early yesterday and went home and hung out with him. I took him up to the bed and played around with him there to get some play time in and to cut down on risk. No jumping or running, Just some wrestling.

I think in another week or two he most likely won't be limping but I plan to take it easy with him through out the winter time. I've had countless injuries and surgeries myself due to exerting too much on a newly healed injury and I don't want that for him.

Once again. Thanks a lot everyone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's coming around real good. He really want to start jumping around again and go back to rough housing but we've kept it down pretty well.

I got out his lead today and grabbed my car key's at the same time by mistake and he understandably got excited and nearly jumped waste high. No limps followed which is obviously a good sign.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts