Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I don't have any pics or video of the limp cause it only happens every once in a while. Almost like he is walking on his toes. Bowing his legs weird. My vet said this is sometimes normal in apbts. What are yalls thoughts

·
Registered
816 Posts
get a new vet is my advice lol

any time samson has limped has been because he injured himself either by smashing shoulder first into a doorway, or me tripping on him and smashing his toe .....

nails are cut to a decent length btw??? not curling up into the toe or any obstruction on his paws???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His nails are at a good length. I had them cut 4 weeks ago and aren't too short. And are not curlying back up. It seriously only happens every 2-3 days. Not even a limp just bows the legs weird and looks goofy. I was so worried about him. Rushed across town to a vet and he said that most pit puppies do it. He don't seem to be in any pain. Walks fine 96% of the time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
oh oh oh ....its a puppy that young...i thought for some reason we were talking about 6 month old and up....my bad.

well mine used to shake one of his legs up front because he was still learning the balance stance .... he got a lil bow legged for a couple of weeks and i rested him ...from what was explained to me the ligaments or something along those lines or the joints idk ..arent developing at the same rate as other parts so there is some adjustment period .... maybe thats related to what u are seeing??? idk really...

hopefully wiser more knowledgeable members will chime in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you

For your replies. After you said get a new vet I started worrying again. Yes that's what my vet said it was because of a growth spurt and the joints catching up. Hopefully someone can put my mind to rest. My wife calls bentley the golden child cause he goes everywhere with me

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Are you talking about knuckling? If you can post pics that would be nice too.

If its knuckling, it can be fixed by getting the pup on a lower protein diet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i thought i had knuckling but the breeder (that is a vet asst.) told me to just give him a couple days of rest and that did it, ... it was the on the money. and he is straight as an arrow when he stands or sits now.

i was told to not feed him puppy food because he would grow too fast and might have pain from joints not catching up fast enough. so i have fed him the same new balance synergy from day 1 and he s healthy in every way.

i say try to give him some rest for a couple of days and see if that makes the limp decrease in frequency. thats all the advice i got lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Indeed

After reading these and researching knuckling. It is Indeed knuckling. I read the article from greatdanelady and have learned how to fix the problem. I think I caused this myself because I have been adding nutri cal to his food for the past week or so and that adds roughly 250-300 calories per feeding. I thought I was helping him put I wasn't. So I'm going to put him on a strict diet and if it doesn't clear up In a few day I'll be wrapping his feet. Thank for the information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also

After talking to my vet about this and asking about the wraps they still seem to think that won't help. So looks like I'm looking for another vet.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
My vet said the same thing, no worries. Just put the pup on adult dog food with low percentage of protein(20-23%). I used kirkland adult dog, lamb.... cleared up in a week.

If you have slick floors, it adds to the problem because they cant stand that good on it, so they put all their weight to a certain paw.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
good job catching it and yeah, get a new vet I say, especially if they thought it was just a known trait.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Food

You said to put him on a adult dog food. I have been giving him the kirtland puppy. Would you switch him to the adult. Or just cut out that nutri cal stuff and see what happens first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts