Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how's it going. Wasn't sure what section to post this in but I have a 15 week old puppy that I adopted, all vaccination shots neutering, and microchip are paid for. My question it what age is beat to do the neutering ? I recently found a schutzhund club that I will be joining and have learned that this can affect his drive. I also plan on having him involved in weight pulling and already made a sled at work. This past Saturday he was at the vet and the vet suggested next month for the neutering which I think is wayyyy to early. I've heard it stunts there growth and to wait until at least a year. I do not plan on breeding him and my female boxer is already spayed, and he is never around any other females or dogs for that matter unsupervised or off leash.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
If you adopted him from a legit shelter than he has to be done by 6 months. If you planned on doing all the things mentioned I would have gone to a reputable breeder instead of a shelter. I have seen plenty of dogs in PP and schutzhund that were fixed and unaffected by drive. Personally I think its the male ego that is affected more than the dog. Your dog either has drive or it doesn't. Not all dogs are cut out for protection type work. I also don't feel right telling you to either not neuter or to wait until he is older to fix him when he is a rescue dog from a shelter. I wouldn't do it next month. I would wait until he is 6 or 7 months. Just because a male gets fixed doesn't make them useless or less than a dog who isn't. JMHO :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I wouldn't neuter until age 2 or 3.
But he was adopted from a shelter Lauren. I think in a situation like this you have to abide by the rules of the shelter and be responsible by having your dog N/S at the 6 month mark as most shelters request.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I adopted because there are a lot of dogs in need out there , and I didn't really know much about schutzhund or WP before joining here , and I don't expect to be breaking records I just think my boy could be good and I want to keep him active. I've read my contract and it doesn't have a set age to neuter in it , I'm deff not doing it next month and would like to wait until at least 1-2 years old. I appreciate the info.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thing is, is that you stated that you already payed for the neuter. Check with the shelter to see how long they honor it for. I'm sure its not a year or two down the road. I am assuming that when you said you paid for the neutering already that it is part of the fee you paid to adopt him and is included.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea the neuter was included in the adoption fee, if I have to pay for it later its really no biggie to me, and they didnt neuter him because I got him at 8 weeks. It's a rescue organization not my local shelter.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I wanted until my boy was about 2, some people say wait until 3. It did not effect his drive at all, from what I can see, except he listen and is slightly easier to train, he was already easy. (he is super smart though, IMO lol) As long as your responsible and don't care if you have to pay the fee again, I would wait a bit for him to get fully developed.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Why don't you call the organization and just ask them if you can wait to neuter, explaining that you want to do schutzhund and weight pull with him, that some research has shown early neuter (before at least a year) can affect dogs negatively, and detail all the ways you will be ensuring that he is taken care of and owned responsibly so that he doesn't escape and exacerbate the pet overpopulation problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea that is the big concern for me, stunning his growth and from what I'm hearing his drive won't be affected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stunting *,Whoops posted mid sentence lol yea I would say I am responsible and the chances of him getting a female prego are pretty much zero. I've always had rottweilers growing up as family dogs and they have not been neutered. Behavior wise they were good his peed more lol. But never had any problems with them being intact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already called earlier , just waiting on a call back. But I asked first to have as much info as possible before I called them.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Stunting *,Whoops posted mid sentence lol yea I would say I am responsible and the chances of him getting a female prego are pretty much zero. I've always had rottweilers growing up as family dogs and they have not been neutered. Behavior wise they were good his peed more lol. But never had any problems with them being intact.
So he will never be neutered then from the sounds of it....Alot of people say they will neuter at a later age and never do. I'm sorry but I can't condone not neutering him as being okay with a clear conscience seeing as how you rescued him from a shelter and already payed for it to be done. When you adopt out from shelter they expect the new owners to be honest and spay and neuter. It is unsettling to me to know that there are people out there who ignore those wishes. On the upside I am not saying that you are irresponsible and I know people can keep intact animals without them ever breeding (I have). But I still think if you wanted a dog to do activities with then a reputable breeder who has experience with what you want to do with a dog is the way I would have gone...not a shelter pup. Anyways, he is yours so best of luck in your endeavours :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I did not say I would never neuter. Just do not want to do it early and not let him reach his full potential. Like I stated before I read up on the dog sports after I already got him , but who is to say I can't do dog sports with him because he is from a rescue organization ? Because he doesn't have papers I shouldn't have him trained in obedience, tracking , or protection ? I believe I can save a life and still have a well trained and active dog. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If I was going to try and win a world championship or break a world record that would be different. But saying I should have gotten a dog from a breeder if I wanted to do Schutzhund or WP just seems kind of biased to me. I'm sure you're not trying to say anything bad but I don't see you're point in that statement. Also with the neutering if I didn't ever plan on doing it my thread wouldn't be asking the best age to do it. I stated my past family dogs to show that I had experience with intact dogs.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I did not say I would never neuter. Just do not want to do it early and not let him reach his full potential. Like I stated before I read up on the dog sports after I already hot him , but who is to say I can't do dog sports with him because he is from a rescue organization ? Because he doesn't have pairs I shouldn't have him trained in obedience, tracking , or protection ? I believe I can save a life and still have a well trained and active dog. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If I was going to try and win a world championship or break a world record that would be different. But saying I should have gotten a dog from a breeder if I wanted to do Schutzhund or WP just seems kind of biased to me. I'm sure you're not trying to say anything bad but I don't see you're point in that statement. Also with the neutering if I didn't ever plan on doing it my thread wouldn't be asking the best age to do it. I stated my past family dogs to show that I had experience with intact dogs.
No, I am not trying to come across as a jerk and say anything bad and I do agree on the later part of neutering as I have done loads of research on S/N as well. I will never neuter a male until it is 14 months and once the growth platelets are closed but with a shelter dog there shouldn't be an option. My point in my statement is that he is a rescue dog from a shelter and should be neutered or should have been neutered before he was adopted out. I already said that a dog doesn't need testicles to do sports and aren't useless or any less of a dog than one that has testicles ;) that's all. I have seen both intact and neutered males excel in sports and some of them were also pound puppies. I think it is great that you want to work your boy and commend you for that. No hard feelings......lets just quit all this talking and post up some pictures of your boy :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I didn't think you were trying to be a jerk but wasn't sure. I'm sure you've seen you're share of clue less owners both on here and in person. Thanx I appreciate it. This is Diesel at 13-15 weeks .

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Hey how's it going. Wasn't sure what section to post this in but I have a 15 week old puppy that I adopted, all vaccination shots neutering, and microchip are paid for. My question it what age is beat to do the neutering ? I recently found a schutzhund club that I will be joining and have learned that this can affect his drive. I also plan on having him involved in weight pulling and already made a sled at work. This past Saturday he was at the vet and the vet suggested next month for the neutering which I think is wayyyy to early. I've heard it stunts there growth and to wait until at least a year. I do not plan on breeding him and my female boxer is already spayed, and he is never around any other females or dogs for that matter unsupervised or off leash.
If you are thinking of doing any type of sports work with him then do not fix him. There is not reason to get him fixed if you are responsible about it and especially if you want to do sports. He needs those hormones to grow properly and you want to keep him intact for Schutzhund, at least till he matures around 2-3 years old then you could get him fixed but IMO I would leave a sports dog intact.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hmmm ok so my link is wrong ! Thank you :)
With sports would you consider agility? I don't know what Schutzhund is

1 - 20 of 26 Posts