Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! It’s been quite awhile since I have used this forum. We just celebrated our boy Bert’s 6 year adoption day anniversary on Halloween! He is around 7.5 years old now.

Unfortunately, Bert is in surgery at the vet because of an anal gland abscess. This is the 3rd time it has happened in the 6 years we’ve had him. After the 2nd time, I started having his anal glands expressed. I missed two months, and now here we are with another abscess. A very costly and painful mistake on my part.

After doing some research, it seems there’s some correlation with allergies and anal gland problems. When I first got Bert he had a lot of skin issues. After trying a few different foods, I settled on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. His skin is ok for the most part, but now with the anal gland issues, I’m thinking I need to switch it up.

The vet had suggested adding pumpkin to his food, so I’ve done that but the anal glands are still a problem. The vet is recommending the anal glands be surgically removed, but I’m not sure. That seems so drastic.

I would like to try switching up his food, and also regularly having the glands expressed first.

Any suggestions?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts