Go Pitbull Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find anything on Google, so I figured I'd try here. How do I train Indie to sit when she's recalling? i.e. While she's running towards me, she's gotta sit halfway back. :hammer:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Just curious what venue of Obed does a sit on recall? I only know of a moving sit or down on recall.

I know when we are teaching a send out with a sit for utility work we start with random sits. Your dog has to be able to do random sits, like when you say sit you get an immediate response. After your dog can sit then you need to teach them to do it in motion, I get a handful of kibble and toss a kibble away from me and let the dog eat the kibble then say sit, this helps move the dog away from you and add distance. I would then start with a short recall with no speed and ask the dog sit and see how the sit in motion goes.

The problem with this from a training stand point is a recall should be done with speed and when you say sit a dog has to stop then sit, that is why they do the down on recall, a dog can just fold into a down quickly vs having to stop.

So again I am curious what venue of Obed you are doing a sit on recall.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, sorry. It must be just down on recall. I went to a rally-o drop in class, and they also had obedience going on. The one woman's golden did I guess a down on recall... and it just made me wonder how to train that. I dunno why I later thought it was sit. I'm training for Rally-o, but things like that are useful in many situations, so I thought I ought to train it. This is like the "emergency down" I'm supposed to train to save my dog from accidents. But I never have. :/ So here goes! Thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
The down on recall makes sense, I would start the same way but instead of sit do the down. I start like this with the dogs understanding what a down is and that they drop fast, then I toss the treats out to get them away from me then give the command. Start only a few feet away then increase your distance as they get better. The down on recall I am pretty sure is not in rally. I teach rally classes and unless something changed I am sure it is only in the CDX and some distance downs in Utility work. A emergency down is what I teach all my students as it adds control and a down at a distance. So yes you need to get started! lol If you have more questions or run into problems let me know.

When you get good at like 10 feet with the down then start another thread or post in this one and I can give you the next step. It takes a few steps to get it at a big distance.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
started training it earlier.. she kinda sorta... a little bit gets it. I will let you know when she GETS it. LOL

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Don't be in a hurry to get distance work on it slowly. When you get a fast down by your side then try the tossing of the treats. With the down later I will throw a toy and down they part way there ( you have to have a long on till they understand they have to down not just get the toy! lol) Not all the time but some times and it helps get that fast down. The faster they down the faster I can release them to get the toy.
This thread has some good info on downing at a distance, this is for a send out down but many things still apply in training the down at a distance.
http://www.gopitbull.com/schutzhund/39844-send-out.html

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
You can teach your dog to sit when you are sending him out to retrieve like in hunt. It also works if the dog is coming back and you want to send him out again. First you start out using a whistle. You say sit, blow the whistle once and make the dog sit. You continue doing this until eh dog is sitting with just the use of the whistle. You can send the dog out and whistle once the dog turns and looks at you. This way you can send to the right or left or back using hand signals.

BaWaaJige is catching on to this really well.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, PK! That certainly helps a lot!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've been messing with this casually (and apparently from too far away). Mostly just when we're playing fetch and I'll send her out and then ask for a down. But she does a creepy-step for about 4 or 5 steps and it drives me crazy. Would be neat to master this one!

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
working her today, having her heel, sit, and wait while I toss her fave retrieve toy out. Then I tell her "away." I need to work on "dry" retrieves, b/c the only time she wants to retrieve is when the toy is in water. LOL. So I tried a couple downs, but then she was walking very slowly to the toy, anticipating a "down," so I just reverted to reinforcing the retrieve, saying "away" with each one. We'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been messing with this casually (and apparently from too far away). Mostly just when we're playing fetch and I'll send her out and then ask for a down. But she does a creepy-step for about 4 or 5 steps and it drives me crazy. Would be neat to master this one!
I saw in another thread that Lisa suggested using a long line (I use my trusty belt flexi), and making sure they stay put till you release them. :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.