Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a tick on Lily after coming inside from going potty today. We don't have shrubs or grass really so I am a bit concerned. From what I looked up it is probably a kennel tick? Not sure if that's accurate but I am wondering if there are any tricks to keep them out of the home and off of our dogs? Also, from what I have searched on gp, tick collars don't seem to be an option as most people say they do not work. Any help is appreciated.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Yeah put her on something like Advantage Multi or Revolution and it will kill any ticks that get on her. Tick collars are garbage and you can't really prevent a tick from getting on your dog just check them when they come back inside to make sure they don't have any.

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
I actually had to break down and buy some flea and tick this year too. Dogs and the prevention I do, worked until the neighbors treated their dogs.
The fleas seemed to just hop the fence and started in on my dogs. Treated them last Sun, and they gone. Supposed to repell flea, tick, mosquito, and kill larvae. The brand I used was Adams, bought from Walmart. I am usually against chemical treatments, and use more natural ways to usually handle the lil buggers.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/39227-what-do-about-pesky-neighbors.html Many of the answers on this thread will be the same for the most part is your older thread as many of the "top brands" will do both flea and ticks.

Otherwise take a pair of tweezers and remove the tick, drown it in lighter fluid or nail polish and dispose. Ticks will always occasionally find a way into your home through pant legs, shoes, etc.. It just happens. So long as there isn't a significant amount on your dog or on you, theres no real reason for alarm.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had read somewhere that kennel ticks will hide in the cracks and stuff in your house so I wanted to know about that because if they're in our house they'll keep coming back I think.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
I actually had to break down and buy some flea and tick this year too. Dogs and the prevention I do, worked until the neighbors treated their dogs.
The fleas seemed to just hop the fence and started in on my dogs. Treated them last Sun, and they gone. Supposed to repell flea, tick, mosquito, and kill larvae. The brand I used was Adams, bought from Walmart. I am usually against chemical treatments, and use more natural ways to usually handle the lil buggers.
stuff is sooo bad. We see a lot of animals come in with chemical burns in the clinic because of this crap. Use revolution advantix or something that is well known.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Pet Armor at Walmart.. same ingredients as Frontline and half the price

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I think you read too much
:goodpost: If you only found one tick or two just pull them off and don't treat. The only time I treat my kennel is if they are found daily or more than 2 at a time. Picking up one tick is not a big deal and no reason to put poisons on your dog.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't use any of those I use Tremidor SC it's much cheaper than advantage. Although if your not familiar with treating dogs using off label products it's best you stick to what the vet's sell. You have to dose it properly but it's the same thing as using Front line active ingredient is Fipronil. If your dog's are out door and you have a heavily infested yard fleas and ticks your going to have to treat the yard problem first before anything else will work.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
:goodpost: If you only found one tick or two just pull them off and don't treat. The only time I treat my kennel is if they are found daily or more than 2 at a time. Picking up one tick is not a big deal and no reason to put poisons on your dog.
:goodpost::goodpost:

I don't use any of those I use Tremidor SC it's much cheaper than advantage. Although if your not familiar with treating dogs using off label products it's best you stick to what the vet's sell. You have to dose it properly but it's the same thing as using Front line active ingredient is Fipronil. If your dog's are out door and you have a heavily infested yard fleas and ticks your going to have to treat the yard problem first.
:goodpost::goodpost:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Here you go this is what I was talking about, if you only see a few no need to treat for them. If you are pulling a few off a day then you might need to get something that works good. I have no treated my dogs for ticks in a few years and I have only pulled off a few and I have a ton of dogs. read this, this is good reading
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/39469-tis-season-poison-our-dogs.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts